Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Times: Cooley: I’ll be ready for regular-season opener

flexxskins

By Rich Campbell

-

The Washington Times

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/baMGX

Chris Cooley has to get the brace on his ailing left knee refitted on Monday. The swelling has reduced so much since last week that it’s too loose.

“I noticed today and was like, ‘Aw, sweet,’” he said.

The Washington Redskins‘ star tight end believes his surgically-repaired knee finally is healing properly. He insisted he will play the regular-season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 11.

“As long as everything continues, I hope to be back in some capacity on the field next week,” he said Monday morning. “I can’t imagine not playing against the Giants.”

Cooley had arthroscopic knee surgery on Jan. 3 but could not rehabilitate under the supervision of Redskins‘ trainers and strength coaches after the lockout began on March 12.

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley makes a play in 2010 against the New York Giants, who Washington will play in its season opener Sept. 11 at FedEx Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:15 p.m. (Associated Press)He tried fully participating in training camp practices, but his knee reacted badly and swelled. The issue is not his meniscus.

“I have enough cartilage in my knee,” he said. “The problem was over a long period of time I was starting to bruise around it and the joint around it was becoming so irritated.”

Cooley recently visited renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, who prescribed more rest. He has been running, however, on an anti-gravity treadmill at Redskins Park. His plan Monday was to run at 50 percent of his body weight.

“You zip in this cool thing and it fills up with air all around you and it’s like an air thing,” he said. “If you take it down to 20 percent of your weight, it feels like you’re on the moon. It’s awesome. It’s NASA technology. Whoever thought of this is a genius.”

Click above for the rest of the article

I hope Cooley returns to full health, and soon :cheers:...

I also find it interesting that apparently the Shanahans haven't really bothered focusing on the TEs during preseason games in Cooley's absence. I would think it would be a good time to get a better feel for what Davis (and, hell, even Paulsen) can bring to the table on their own.

I would think it would be a good time to get a better feel for what Davis (and, hell, even Paulsen) can bring to the table on their own.

I really like Logan Paulson, the guy is underrated in every category imo. He's a good blocker, hard worker, and I have never seen a pass go his way that was catchable and he did not catch it.

I guarantee if the guy was in dallass (not knocking Witten, saying if he was not there) or ny he'd be a 50-60 catch a season guy.

“He has been running, however, on an anti-gravity treadmill at Redskins Park. His plan Monday was to run at 50 percent of his body weight.

You zip in this cool thing and it fills up with air all around you and it’s like an air thing,” he said. “If you take it down to 20 percent of your weight, it feels like you’re on the moon. It’s awesome. It’s NASA technology. Whoever thought of this is a genius.”

This is off topic but I wonder if this is what Fat Albert used to pass his conditioning test.

This is off topic but I wonder if this is what Fat Albert used to pass his conditioning test.

If he ever indeed did. ;) I think even Shanahan tired of lard ass making a public show of himself in the end and spared him even more humiliation.

As to the OP, take your time CC. We have two quality guys behind you, and your place isn't going to be under threat given what you've done in the past. Take your time and come back at 100%.

Hail.

I hope Cooley returns to full health, and soon :cheers:...

I also find it interesting that apparently the Shanahans haven't really bothered focusing on the TEs during preseason games in Cooley's absence. I would think it would be a good time to get a better feel for what Davis (and, hell, even Paulsen) can bring to the table on their own.

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, that is interesting.

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, that is interesting.

I hypothesized that its because they want to work on newer things with players that need the work in preseason. We know our TE's work, and we probably don't want to give anything new or improved there away.

I hypothesized that its because they want to work on newer things with players that need the work in preseason. We know our TE's work, and we probably don't want to give anything new or improved there away.

That explains the dearth of variety in the red zone playcalling

Can someone please explain to me why these players like Cooley and P. Manning say that they couldn't rehab due to the lockout? Don't they make enough money that they could have paid for their own rehab during the lockout? If it was my body and I needed rehab and I could afford it I would do it as soon as I can after surgery. I wouldn't wait months. Why would they do this?

Can someone please explain to me why these players like Cooley and P. Manning say that they couldn't rehab due to the lockout? Don't they make enough money that they could have paid for their own rehab during the lockout? If it was my body and I needed rehab and I could afford it I would do it as soon as I can after surgery. I wouldn't wait months. Why would they do this?

Not that they couldn't rehab, but that the team's trainers have specific methods for rehab that will specifically help that player and that specific injury. Specifically :silly:

WIthout contact with the team, the trainers couldn't get them on the correct plan.

They could, but they didn't have access to team doctors, and team medical staffs. I'm sure he was doing what his own doctors were telling him, but there's very specialized treatment and recovery plans for professional athletes. I mean, the last thing you want to do is **** up your rehab while NOT under team surveillance during a lockout.

These players weren't being lazy or cheap, there were being cautious. They play in a sport where health is everything--its your career. You don't want to mess with that, without the backing of your team, your employer--the same employer who can terminate your contract at any time if you're too unhealthy to play.

Archived