Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Thinking before you post is important; Why The bias is strong at ESPN

Birdlives

I'm thinking the mods (at least the one in this thread) are ban happy power trippers. The only person in this thread thats done anything ban worthy is Jumbo. Name calling, language, insults.

Unreal. Probably my last post here, but I've been around a lot of message boards over the years....and I've been at this one longer than most....and what I've seen from the moderator in this thread is an absolute joke.

Are we really keeping this going?

This is like spring cleaning, but for football...

Yeah i've stopped tryin to get my sport news from ESPN. I actually like getting accurate information about sports. Call me crazy.

And just to throw this in. I've never read the rules but never broken any either.........................strange.

And just to throw this in. I've never read the rules but never broken any either.........................strange.

Give it time, you still don't have that many posts ;)

Generally though, if you keep things civil and use your brain when posting, you'll steer clear of any violations

So what's the issue with ESPN? Bias or shoddy journalism?

Im gonna go with 10% bias and 90% lousy journalism.

The 10% bias constitutes the former player analysts who stll still have that competitive fire; think Chris Carter, Tom Jackson, Keyhawn Johnson, etc. The remaing 90% are the "entertainers" such as Stuart Scott, that mean bald dude and the other "anchors"

Good job in getting the article corrected, however I do not think it was a result of bias, just crappy journalism, which is commonplace for ESPN.

I still owe you a cold one.

Do you really think the guys at ESPN enacted some sort of Skins bias....for a preseason game?

If you want to criticize the national media, criticize them for being sloppy, because that's all this is--sloppiness and most likely a lack of interest in covering bases for a meaningless preseason game.

They're paid to be interested.

these constant cries of "no respect" sound like the fat girl crying because no one will dance with her.

Bang, you know I respect you. ;)

but this doesn't have to do with "respect" as much as it has to do with our reasonable expectation of at least accuracy with their reporting. I mean listing only one starting player as being out?

As others have said, it's either shoddy journalism or a deliberate omission in an attempt to diminish the performance of the Redskins and skew the perception of the game.

Either way, a professional sports journalism organization like ESPN should be better than that.

I'm thinking the mods (at least the one in this thread) are ban happy power trippers. The only person in this thread thats done anything ban worthy is Jumbo. Name calling, language, insults.

Yesterday a mod called me out saying I was borderline spaming. Note by join date and post count, and yes, I have been banned a couple of times over the years. I copied the same sentence into five different threads to make a point. Not to spam, but my thinking at the time was "did people really have to create five plus threads on the same subject matter at relatively the same timeframe, Beck the QB". I was just being a smart ***.

Well, the moderator was correct. I should not be pointing out what threads should be merged and inserting my opinion on board management. The Mods have always worked very hard to keep the board clean. The board has rules for a reason and those rules should be enforced or you would have chaos like they used to have in the past and for that matter why I bet Die Hard created this board to get away from the "wild west" of years ago.

Now, every once in a while a Mod may say something that is not the most politically correct for all members. Sometimes I bet they even hurt the feelings of some members. But, they are human and get frustrated like everyone else. So, sometimes you need to step back and review their post and perhaps ask a buddy to assist with their interpretation of your post. And, I do understand where they are coming from. I see rule breakers all the time at work and have to deal with thick headed people that sometimes can't see both sides of the coin.

Lastly, I have never received a PM inquiring if I ever wanted to be a Mod for what it's worth.

but this doesn't have to do with "respect"...

Bingo.

Check my posting history.

I couldn't care less if the media gives us respect.

Hell, I don't even give this organization much.

The point is, at least be accurate.

With minimal effort, this could have been an actual article stating the facts of the game.

You know, journalism.

It's not about respect, it's about doing your effing job.

Plain and simple

Most analysts are just cheerleaders and most don't like Rex. Apparently it's no longer "Good Rex" vs. "Bad Rex", but just "Rex being Rex" now.

Yes, he threw one bad pass last night and had another almost INT against the Steelers, but Vick threw 3 picks against the Steelers in 4 drives. Yet, he was labelled "not so" great vs. them. Unreal.

but this doesn't have to do with "respect" as much as it has to do with our reasonable expectation of at least accuracy with their reporting. I mean listing only one starting player as being out?

As others have said, it's either shoddy journalism or a deliberate omission in an attempt to diminish the performance of the Redskins and skew the perception of the game.

Either way, a professional sports journalism organization like ESPN should be better than that.

Fair enough, and less it be taken otherwise, i wasn't disparaging Bird.. glad he went out and fought the good fight.

But it is about respect.. because if they had some they would care that they got the facts right.

~Bang

The fact of the matter is that for a while now, ESPN has been biased to the Redskins because as it stands...we are still a bit of a joke around the league. I can't entirely blame them considering fans of all the other teams love it when they take pot shots at us and deflect attention away from their own teams.

It's very rare even during the season to see a highlight or recap of the Skins playing where they don't focus on the bad more than the good, unless it's a blowout like the 9'ers game 5-6 years ago. I can't say that I blame them when you look at the Skins recent track record, losing to the winless Lions, Rams, and every other dredge of the league that shouldn't have happened.

The thing is, we all see the progress this team is making in one way or another...ESPN and other media outlets won't until that progress results in a better record, better rankings, and all around better play on the field when it counts. Certain people in the media world do have an obvious bias, but even some who can be very critical about the Skins also show them love when they deserve it.

As much as they piss me off sometimes, it is what it is and until the Skins prove different during the season they will continue to report how they want. I myself have seen much improvement, from what little I've been able to see thus far...but it's enough to have my hopes up more than they have been in years. Here's to all of the media outlets who doubt this team finally having to report not just good, but great things for this team.

Is what it is, just shake it off and look forward to the near future when it all goes away and they report on us like we're the Steelers or Pats...with love in their hearts;)

HAIL

... this doesn't have to do with "respect" as much as it has to do with our reasonable expectation of at least accuracy with their reporting. I mean listing only one starting player as being out?

That is exactly what this is about. If someone represents anyone but themselves you'd think that those represented would like a little crediblility.

If poor reporting or biased commentary is the result of "get out there first" then I think it's a good idea to let those false starts be penalized no matter how minor the infraction is.

The agents of a news organization had damn well better get as right as they can because they will be called out publicly, there is just too much information out there and the audience isn't as stupid as they think we are.

What ever happened to retraction and/or acknowledgment of correction, now it's just edit, ignore and hope no one notices.

I totally agree and great points Painkiller!
Fair enough, and less it be taken otherwise, i wasn't disparaging Bird.. glad he went out and fought the good fight.

But it is about respect.. because if they had some they would care that they got the facts right.

~Bang

I would say they need to respect their position, and try to give balanced accurate reporting. As far as platitudes, that comes with winning, and once the Redskins become a consistent winning team, then they will jump on board, but until then expect us to be under-appreciated.

BTW, I also clicked the ESPN article, basically just to see the stats and box scores (and the opinion of how the Redskins did) and was also miffed that the author originally pointed out that the Redskins were "only" without OJ Atogwe, and completely dismissing Landry's absence as well as all the other starters who didn't play. Not that I think it makes a big difference on the point he was trying to make (which I still disagree with anyway but thats neither here nor there), but I think it does show how little you would have had to pay attention to the game if you didn't even notice that a pro-bowler wasn't on the field for the Redskins.

I did the exact same thing. I also felt like the article was a little slanted (poor Colts vs garbage Redskins starters was their only reason for losing). I didn't feel like posting in their post game comments section because, well, posting at ESPN is the equivalent of swimming in a lake full of ****. You MIGHT find something worth reading every 100-1,000 posts. So, instead I just stopped reading and came back here.

Anyway, good call Birdlives, it's nice to know they actually listened to your response.

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 08:56 AM ----------

Give it time, you still don't have that many posts ;)

Generally though, if you keep things civil and use your brain when posting, you'll steer clear of any violations

I actually only keep two things in mind when posting here, and it's kept me pretty safe, though I've been leaning over the line at times.

First rule: Don't be an *** hole

Second rule: Don't make a thread since 100/100 someone else has already made one that fits what you think is a new idea, cause it isn't a new idea.

EDIT:

Actually, I lied. There's one more rule I try to remember (and probably the one I'm worst at):

Don't do anything annoying. (i.e., reword cuss words so they show up, put HUGE pictures on your post, or quote enormous sections of quotes or pics, etc.)

I don't think it's that hard, I think most of us know what we need to do and what we need to not do, it's kind of common sense for the most part.

Schlereth was actually going crazy over Beck tonight in a positive way....And I was sure he hated the Skins.... Count me surprised.... Maybe the bias is just on certain broadcasters.

Yes certain analysis post shows are pretty non bios towards any NFL team and he has one of them, I too watched it and was shocked the Kutos they gave to the skins without first starting off with "Manning didn't play, "the Colts never look good in the preseason like all the other sports shows. Well you know what,,, Manning doesn't play defense the last time I checked and maybe they should take stock in the preseason because their backup QB stinks. I give their punter a 10

these constant cries of "no respect" sound like the fat girl crying because no one will dance with her.

Want respect? Stop being a loser.

Pretty simple.

glad you corrected them, but the fact is we don't deserve praise, respect, or even notice until we earn it.

And you don't earn it in preseason.

~Bang

Yes!

Or No? Were you answering to Bang's question of "Want respect?", cuz if not just writing "Yes!" isn't adding anything to the topic at hand unless you're saying the band Yes! has a song about this sort of thing.

Maybe it's Marv Albert.

~Bang

What the ESPN recap said tonight before I posted in the ESPN conversation (if only I had a witness):

"The Redskins were missing only one key player, safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (hamstring)."

What I posted in the Skins vs. Colts "conversation" several minutes later, after I signed up:

Really? (insert Seth Myers here) Really?

Laron Landry isn't a key player, I guess?

Really?

Josh Wilson signed as the #2 CB?

Chris Cooley certainly isn't a starter, right?

Nevermind that London Fletcher didn't play.

Nope, just one starter out. The Skins went full strength against the mighty Peyton-free Colts.

If I rolled my eyes at this analysis, I'd probably never see them again.

Clearly Cowherd is right, quick inaccurate snapshots are far better than well thought out analysis.

Go ESPN! Yay!

Dear ESPN,

Please stop for a second before you post, thx

WHAT THE RECAP CHANGED TO WITHIN MINUTES AFTER MY CONVERSATION POST:

"Washington played without safeties LaRon Landry (Achilles tendon) and Oshiomogho Atogwe (hamstring), tight end Chris Cooley (knee), middle linebacker London Fletcher (groin) and cornerback Josh Wilson (groin)."

And here my friends, is the crux of the issue.

That is one awesome slice of epic-ness. That's not unlike the time my wife wrote an e-mail to the Discovery Channel telling them one of their promos was grammatically incorrect. They eventually changed it within a few days. ESPN....*sigh* if only there were another all sports channel....

Archived