Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Preseason Game 1: Steelers: Observations, Quotes, Unpopular/Popular Opinions

KDawg

Well, I finally have a little bit of time to carve out an opinion piece on here. I'm also going to share some quotes from the locker room from the Steelers game.

But first, I want to thank murf for giving me the opportunity to be there, and JimmiJo for helping to show me the ropes. It was an outstanding opportunity as a Redskin fan, a football fan and a football coach to get to be in the press box and it was a TON of fun. Thanks to Huly and pez for what they did at the tailgate and it was great to meet everyone that I had the opportunity to meet!

:logo:

Major Positives:

Tim Hightower

The guy runs hard and has EXCELLENT vision. He sees the hole, makes one north-south cut and gets downfield in a hurry. When he sees a defender he squares up and delivers a blow rather than accepting contact. If he can hold on to the football, he'll be a great addition to our roster.

Offensive Line:

They looked good. Specifically Will Montgomery, who at times dominated Casey Hampton... That's no easy task, as well as Trent Williams and Jammal Brown. TW and JB did a great job on pass pro, and on rushing plays they managed to solidify level one or get to level two fairly well. It was fun to watch. Kory Lichtensteiger and Chris Chester didn't stand out to me, but when you're an offensive linemen that's usually a good thing. Backups Maurice Hurt and Sean Locklear held their own as well. Erik Cook looked decent, too.

Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen:

Cofield is all over the field. He's a true monster. He knifes through the offensive line and draws double teams over and over again, and he even manages to defeat them most of the time. Stephen Bowen is explosive coming out of his stance and manages to close up running lanes fairly well. His sack was a great form tackle. I'm excited to watch these two play. I shouldn't leave out Carriker, either. He didn't do much worth noting, but he did his job and he did it well.

London Fletcher:

This doesn't even need to be noted. He's the heart of the defense.

Evan Royster:

He has pretty good vision. He's not that fast, but he's fairly agile and he hits the hole well. I'm excited to see what he has to offer. He missed one pass protection assignment pretty badly, but it's something the coaches can correct, I'm sure.

Graham Gano:

I'm one of his harshest critics, but he looks a lot better than he did last year. Kudos to him.

Brandon Banks, Terrance Austin:

Both looked explosive. Banks is elusive, but doesn't break many tackles... Which is fine because he flat avoids them. Austin is not quite as elusive, but on that punt return he got he pulled his foot from a defender's grasp, leaped over him and got down the sideline.

Guys Who I Have Controversial Opinions About:

Rex Grossman: I'm going to start this off by saying that he played very well. He made some very good decisions and delivered a good football. He proved he has a good command of the offense. However, he made a few key mistakes. Some disagree with me, but there was an outside zone (Stretch) naked action play where Fred Davis was wide open twenty yards downfield and Rex went for the home run in the end zone to Donte Stallworth. I like the fact that he had the nutsack to go for that, but, it wasn't a great decision. Yes, Stallworth had a step on the defenders, and Grossman, for a positive, put the ball in a place where only Stallworth would catch it. Problem was not even Stallworth could have caught that. I think he needed to check down to Davis there and Davis would have gained a ton of yards. Some will disagree with me there, and that's okay, so don't get your panties wadded up. He also threw the ball directly to Larry Foote on a pass play near the end zone that could have wound up as a pick. But again, as a whole, he played well.

For the record, I think Clemens did well as a whole, too. But, he made some glaring mistakes, especially on his first drive in the game.

Didn't Look Good:

Chris Horton:

He looked lost out there. Chris had an awesome rookie campaign when he was playing in the exact same defense that he played in at UCLA. But since we changed to the 3-4 he's been virtually MIA. He let receivers get behind him several times and wasn't getting in very good position to make plays. Hopefully he shakes off the rust soon.

Josh Wilson:

Learning a new system, it can be excused. But, he didn't do a great job in man coverage. And he didn't communicate well with Horton. He also had a PI call.

Selvish Capers:

This guy got blown up more times than I can count.

Random Observations:

-Kyle Shanahan did a great job with his play calling. He kept calling the stretch play and then went to the stretch with naked boot action and got the TEs involved and they were wide open. One of the criticisms I have for Kyle is he was calling plays that didn't get the receivers to the sticks on third down situations. Perhaps that's on the receivers, or perhaps it's on Grossman. I don't know who to pin that on, just an observation. He did, and the receivers/Grossman as well, correct that issue as the half went on.

-Jarvis Jenkins got blown up pretty bad on one play. Opened a wide hole. However, as a whole, he didn't play badly. I think he's going to be a good player for us down the road.

-James Davis didn't get a single carry. Draughns got more carries than he did. That's not a good sign for JD.

-Keyaron Fox did a decent job replacing Fletcher in the game, but he doesn't have that same fiery leadership. He made a few mistakes, but as a whole, he's pretty good, and he's still learning. This was a good pick up.

-Brian Orakpo was pretty silent, but I watched him on a few plays. He played EXCELLENT backside contain, and he was held when he was on a pass rush quite a few times. Ryan Kerrigan has a good pass rush, decent block shedding and poor coverage skills. But we kind of knew a defensive end was going to have to transition. Give him time.

-DeJon Gomes looked fairly good out there. He's an impact player. He reminds me of Chris Horton in his rookie year. He's going to make mistakes, but he has a nose for the ball.

-Roy Helu, even in warm ups, wasn't very fast coming in and out of his cuts, but once he gets going, holy crap can he fly.

-Rocky McIntosh took quite a few bad angles. I'd like to see what Keyaron Fox offers the first unit. But Rocky as a whole didn't do horrendous, either. He looks a lot more comfortable this season and he was consistently around the football.

-DeAngelo Hall got beat in man coverage a few times. But then he made two great plays to keep outside contain on a run play and stuffed the back. He has a fire about him that I love.

Quotes from the Locker Room:

Roy Helu on Pass Protection:

"It's something I'm comfortable with and its something I've kind of prided myself on ever since I started playing football. You know, it's something I'm going to continue to work at and hopefully I'll be the kind of back that Clinton Portis was."

Graham Gano on Kickoffs:

"A bunch of guys on the kick off team said man you gotta stop doing that [kicking out of the endzone], we aren't getting any tackles."

Graham Gano on Shayne Graham:

"He's a class act guy, he is. This type of stuffs happened before to all kickers, he knows how to handle it. It's not something you wish upon anybody but I'm sure he'll bounce back and be fine."

Terrance Austin on new kick off rules:

"You know, it sucks. We're questioning coming out six yards deep in the end zone, most teams do that. Right now if we're six we want to take it, but if we start getting eight or nine yards deep it's a tough decision to make. Most guys are ready to down it. It depends on how the kick is. If it's a line drive and its that deep we'll probably bring it out. If it's a high and deep kick we probably won't bring it out."

Terrance Austin on getting an opportunity to return one:

"It felt good! I haven't returned in a long time! Last time I returned was probably preseason last year. It felt good, I still got it. I've been working every day in practice on catching the punts and stuff. I'm still able to do it, if they need me I'm there."

KDawg Note: Austin was smiling from ear to ear when I asked about getting the chance to return one

London Fletcher on Leadership:

"It's very important. It's a role I take very seriously. Just trying to go out and do my part. Just trying to give guys as much knowledge as I can, help them to play fast, play better."

Kerrigan wasn't able to maintain contain on a number of Redman's runs. That's an alarm for me since he should be better against the run, he's played strong side contain his entire college career. I'll chalk it up to the newness and his inability to get his pads under his blockers. That can be fixed. He has instincts. That can't be fixed.

I'm not too worried about our corners, the deep pass to the right was on Horton, not Wilson. DHall gets beat every once in a while, he did in this game.

I thought Rex played a good game. Couple of boneheaded mistakes and he got lucky once or twice. Stallworth should have caught that pass. He's a bubble player and should have extended.

You're right about the Grossman pass to Stallworth....Davis was wide open down the field. Even the announcers said it.

I think Grossman just wanted to go for it since it was preseason, and he really had nothing to lose on that throw. I think once the season starts, that pass would have gone to Davis.

Royster doesn't do anything for me. Basically seems like another Marcus Mason type. Not very explosive or fast. Just a good preseason runner that's gets yards but won't do anything in the "real" season.

I think having a change of pace back would still be good. Helu might be that guy but someone maybe smaller and quicker. We should give Davis another look.

In defense of Grossman on the overthrow of double-covered Stallworth when Davis was wide open:

Stallworth was probably Rex's first read and, although Stallworth was doubled, he had separated from both defenders. Stallworth was able to get one hand on the ball, so it was a couple of inches from a TD. Rex most likely never saw Davis because his first read looked good. It only looks like a bad decision with the benefit of seeing Davis open in hindsight.

You're right about the Grossman pass to Stallworth....Davis was wide open down the field. Even the announcers said it.

I think Grossman just wanted to go for it since it was preseason, and he really had nothing to lose on that throw. I think once the season starts, that pass would have gone to Davis.

Yeah, you have to take a few shots like that so the defense has to cover it.

It will help open more stuff underneath in the course of the game.

I've never been much of a Rocky hater, actually quite a fan of his. His tackles are becoming more fierce each season which is only a good thing. With the Oline not able to get to the second level, I expect big things from him this year. Remember, he's a decent cover linebacker as well. To my knowledge we only have Fletch as the other option. And for that reason I'm really in love with Gomes. I hope he can play well and make a solid contribution to the team. I thought his selection was a stroke of genius and he can play that Dime spot, even the nickle, or spot fill on long down conversions. I have high hopes for what he can bring to the table.

In defense of Grossman on the overthrow of double-covered Stallworth when Davis was wide open:

Stallworth was probably Rex's first read and, although Stallworth was doubled, he had separated from both defenders. Stallworth was able to get one hand on the ball, so it was a couple of inches from a TD. Rex most likely never saw Davis because his first read looked good. It only looks like a bad decision with the benefit of seeing Davis open in hindsight.

I don't know that Stallworth was the first read. On stretch action naked boot action plays, you're generally targetting the TE. But, he may of been. Either way, it's not make or break, but it's a microcosm of what Rex is. Still, he looked better than most believed he'd look. I'm very happy to say that.

Yeah, you have to take a few shots like that so the defense has to cover it.

It will help open more stuff underneath in the course of the game.

The ball was there, Stallworth had a step. Should have caught that pass.

**** it! I'm going deep. It's just a shame my flankers can't catch.

Great review - I read all of it and I agree with most of your observations. Either way, I'm actually excited about the next game - specifically the 1st half to see where this team is against yet another great defense. I just don't understand how a team can come out looking this good when they were SO awful last year. Does it matter? no. It's pre-season I get it but they were actually excited to play and that is refreshing to see.

It does matter, though. When you look at everything technique was, to the best of your ability without fully knowing scheme, they looked much improved. The team hustled. The team put in a ton of effort. And the best thing Rex has going for him, the team played for Rex Grossman.

Score doesn't matter. Effort, determination, technique and discipline (lack of penalties) do. :)

It does matter, though. When you look at everything technique was, to the best of your ability without fully knowing scheme, they looked much improved. The team hustled. The team put in a ton of effort. And the best thing Rex has going for him, the team played for Rex Grossman.

Score doesn't matter. Effort, determination, technique and discipline (lack of penalties) do. :)

I'll just add, to calm expectations, that I remember looking at this team last preseason and thinking how well prepared they were. Just something for us all to keep in our back pocket.

I don't know that Stallworth was the first read. On stretch action naked boot action plays, you're generally targetting the TE. But, he may of been. Either way, it's not make or break, but it's a microcosm of what Rex is. Still, he looked better than most believed he'd look. I'm very happy to say that.
I have always assumed that Mike Shanahan loves his stretch-boot because it gives his QB the time to look deep first, but that could be a false assumption.

Rex looked great, but I still believe that Mike will go with Beck if John can keep the competition close.

I'll just add, to calm expectations, that I remember looking at this team last preseason and thinking how well prepared they were. Just something for us all to keep in our back pocket.

I agree. I don't think this team does better than 8-8... ANd I think we could be worse, dependent on the injury situation. But, the team looks better. I don't think I'm going to have the "Well, we're in it, but we'll find a way to blow it" feeling I've had the last few years.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 10:22 AM ----------

I have always assumed that Mike Shanahan loves his stretch-boot because it gives his QB the time to look deep first, but that could be a false assumption.

Rex looked great, but I still believe that Mike will go with Beck if John can keep the competition close.

Could be the case with the Stretch Action play with Shanahan. I know a ton of coaches that run it at HS, college and some even at the pro level, that preach to look TE first. But Shanahan could have a different set of reads, I guess we just don't know :)

Good observations overall, nice writeup. I'd like to talk about the Rex pass, but I promise I'll keep my panties on straight. :silly:

The thing I'd like to point out to everybody ( because it does keep getting mentioned in various posts ) is on the Rex deep pass to Stallworth: 1) Dante was close enough to get his hand under it. For having only 1 week to practice with the receiver that was a pretty accurate pass. 2) I remember seeing info graphics last year about how McNabb had to change his read order in Kyle's system. Kyle wants his QBs to take the deep option first and then look closer. Assuming that is still the case and knowing that Dante did have a step on the defender I'd say that Rex made the correct decision within the system.

Otherwise I agree with your observations. ( Looks like someone beat me to the punch, sorry about the double team. ) Hail.

Rex Grossman: Some disagree with me, but there was an outside zone (Stretch) naked action play where Fred Davis was wide open twenty yards downfield and Rex went for the home run in the end zone to Donte Stallworth. I like the fact that he had the nutsack to go for that, but, it wasn't a great decision. Yes, Stallworth had a step on the defenders, and Grossman, for a positive, put the ball in a place where only Stallworth would catch it. Problem was not even Stallworth could have caught that. I think he needed to check down to Davis there and Davis would have gained a ton of yards. Some will disagree with me there, and that's okay, so don't get your panties wadded up. He also threw the ball directly to Larry Foote on a pass play near the end zone that could have wound up as a pick. But again, as a whole, he played well.

I'm one of the ones that disagrees with you. Stallworth was doubled but he had both men beat. If you've got a guy open deep you have to go for it. It was a bad throw not a bad decision IMO especially since it was 1st down. 2nd or 3rd down maybe you check down. It was also a message that they couldn't ignore the deep throw since we'd been doing a lot of dumpoffs early.

Yeah in Shanny's Offense, you look deep (as a general rule) first on boot leg options. Usually there will be 3 layers (deep wr, middle te, and short fb). The pass was not complete, but considering the struggles the skins have to score td's atm, if the shot is there take it. Risk/Reward said go for it.

Not bad Dawg. I could add to it, but I have a case of the Monday's.

However, you really need to let go of the so-called "mistake" by Grossman. Yeah, he could've thrown to Davis for a nice gain. But, Rex clearly saw that Stallworth had beaten the corner and his safety help. He saw an opportunity for six and the play was there for six and it was a matter of inches.. You know as well as I do those opportunities don't come often in the NFL and when it is available you take it.

One thing I noticed was improvement on tackling, at least from an overall perspective.

The one single thing that constantly sent me over the edge was "shoulder tackling", which was an often repeated move throughout the last few years. Seeing Hall going after the weakest poiint of a runner worked alot better than trying to give them the shoulder, and I believe LL has a good memory of being steamrolled, so hopefully a solid tackling performance will equal positives for the defense...

I like what Joe Theismann said. The offense looked efficient. No penalties, no turnovers, no sacks and 25 first downs at one point. We still have a problem of lack of touchdowns. FIve FG attempts suck. I'd like to see more of those converted to TDs, but I have the offense an B+ for this effort.

I don't remember that we were this prepared last year. Maybe preparation isn't the right word. I think both the offense and defense looked more comfortable in the schemes then last year.

Archived