Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Buffs: "Red Tails" Movie Trailer

Commander PK

Cant wait for this.... hope it means more well made WWII action movies... my pics would be: The Flying Tigers & the Battle of Midway.

Just keep Michael Bay out of the mix.

Great storyline with great spec. effects...

On another note, I live near the Tuskegee Airmen Memorial Trail, which is I-75 that runs through Ohio down to Florida.

I even liked Bay's Pearl Harbor for the actual attack sequence if nothing else.

I watch Saving Private Ryan and Patton at least 2 or 3 times a year.

Agreed on the Pearl harbor. Loved the action, could've done without the Ben Afflack cheese.

SVP should be mandatory viewing for all American citizens...

Also, it's good to see Cuba Gooding doing something that's worth his talent. He's been doing SO many low-budget, cheeseball straight to dvd movies the last few years. he's way too talented to be wasting time with those awful B movies. I know he doesn't need the money....does he? Jerry McGuire made him filthy effing rich

BTW, "Memphis Belle" = slept on classic

awesome flick. One of my favorites. "I'm not bleeding....you're bleeding! You're in shock!" Relax fellas, it's tomato soup. :)

I still yearn for a Guns of Navarone remake. I know it might be disrespectful to remake such a classic, but I don't care.

That said I'm kinda eh on the storyline. It just seems like it's been done to death.

What I mean by this is that there already was a VERY good movie on the Tuskegee Airmen. Starring Laurence Fishbourne. When I saw the trailer in the OP, the first time they showed Terrence Howard, for a brief second, I thought it was Laurence Fishbourne.

Also, Cuba Gooding Jr. was in Men of Honor, a similar type movie, annnnnd The Tuskegee Airmen staring Laurence Fishbourne

Memphis Belle is a minor classic if you ask me as well. Great movie... love those WW2 flicks...

The greatest WWII propoganda movie is "Air Force." Its the story of a B17 bomber crew that visits Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, proceeds to Wake Island and finally they end up in the Phillipines to single handidly destroy a Japanese invasion force heading for Australia. Its total Cheese but its fun as hell.

One of the characters is named Winocki (played by John Garfield)... in Pulp Fiction the scene where Christopher Walken gives the Gold Watch to the kid he tells him that his grandfather was a marine on Wake Island and gave the watch to a gunner on a B17 bomber by the name of Winocki.

• 10 months later...

OK I finally rented this movie. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't go to the theater to watch it. Who wrote the script a 12 year old? One of the worst scripted movies I've seen. Sorry for the bump but this movie pissed me off. If you haven't seen it yet - don't bother.

OK I finally rented this movie. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't go to the theater to watch it. Who wrote the script a 12 year? One of the worst scripted movies I've seen. Sorry for the bump but this movie pissed me off. If you haven't seen it yet - don't bother.

The creator of the Boondocks comic strip and Lucasfilm's finest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZOOkvbVzA (NSFW)

The greatest WWII propoganda movie is "Air Force." Its the story of a B17 bomber crew that visits Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, proceeds to Wake Island and finally they end up in the Phillipines to single handidly destroy a Japanese invasion force heading for Australia. Its total Cheese but its fun as hell.

One of the characters is named Winocki (played by John Garfield)... in Pulp Fiction the scene where Christopher Walken gives the Gold Watch to the kid he tells him that his grandfather was a marine on Wake Island and gave the watch to a gunner on a B17 bomber by the name of Winocki.

The best WWII movie of all time, and one of the best war movies of all time.. is "To Hell and Back Again" the autobiographical movie of the most decorated American soldier during WWII. Audie Murphy. Not only written by him but also stars Murphy...

Another of my favorate war movies, is "Sargent York" starring Gary Cooper. The true story of the most decorated American soldier of WWI. Alvin York, who singlehandedly charged a machine gunnest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others using great shooting, down home wisdom, and a few turkey calls; true story.

Most favorite WWII propaganda picture... Under Water Warrior, story about special forces navy divers during WWII who would go out before the landing parties and blow up the obsticles. I think they were the precourser of the Navy's Seals.

I agree on Red Tails... there have been several movies made on this topic... i think Cuba Gooding Jr has been in most of them. I think this one was one of the weakest.

Since we mentioned Memphis Belle - the B-17 used in the movie was in Cincinnati over the weekend - rides were $450! But it was free to walk around and through it. It was really cool.

Its actually a B-17 G (with the chin turret removed) converted to a B-17 F - which was the model of the actual Memphis Belle. They made a few other modifications for the film.

A great experience.. thought I would represent the Skins community with my RG3 shirt.

MemphisBelle.jpg

Very much would like to see this one. Like the idea of having several movies made about these heroes. :)

Memphis Belle was a great one to me. If they could have done a mix of Tora Tora Tora and Bay's Pearl Harbor I would have been really happy. ;) And every since the movie came out,I've wanted a remake of Midway. :)

OK I finally rented this movie. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't go to the theater to watch it. Who wrote the script a 12 year? One of the worst scripted movies I've seen. Sorry for the bump but this movie pissed me off. If you haven't seen it yet - don't bother.

I was really stoked (obviously) when I first saw the trailer. However, when the film arrived the reviews were scathing. I didn't want to be disappointed, so I haven't watched it yet. Now I may not at all.

It was bad. The actors tried but just had god awful dialogue.

The dogfight scenes were ok and the P51's were cool.... thats it.

George Lucas just cannot make a good movie anymore.

I dont get it... maybe someone actually kidnapped and replaced him with a physically exact copy but only less entertaining and quite boring and stupid- sometime in the early 90's.

When I saw the trailer and heard, "HOW YOU LIKE THAT MR. HITLA?" I knew it was going to be pretty bad, and I was right.

I kind of liked the memphis bell movie.

Wasn't a very deep film, but when you consider the average age of a B17 crew memember was 20 years of age. And the average pilot's age was 21... I think the film captureed the fear, the mock pretense of maturity of the "doctor". and really what a bunch of kids approaching an incredible task would do.

Robert Morgan (pilot) was 23 on his first mission over Brest France in the Memphis Belle ( named for his mother), and 24 on his last mission over Lorient... These guys were all just kids.

If you want to see a much more sophisticated movie about WWII bombers... I will suggest "Above and Beyond", the story of the Paul Tibbits who commanded the Enola Gay (also named for his mother).

Talks about how they trained, how infighting in the US Military were handled, and how they transported and conducted the missions.. Great Movie... Tibbits was an incredible professional and a grown man of 30 when he dropped the big one on Japan,, coarse he was only a handful of years older than Morgan whose last mission was in 1943.

awful, awful, awful movie.

A good movie on the Tuskegee Airmen was "The Tuskegee Airmen" which starred Lawrence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr (back when he was passable), Malcolm Jamal-Warner, Allen Payne, John Lithgow, and many others.

Red Tails was an awful film. I regret watching it even though I had a feeling it would be bad looking at the trailers. Horrible dialogue, the cinematography sucked too. Lucas tried to guilt trip people into seeing that film, and ended up making crap.

How about this ... actual footage of the water crash and rescue of the crew of a B-29 bomber. The entire crew -- 12 aviators -- was rescued by a US submarine after their plane was shot down in 1945, 70 miles off the coast of Japan. An officer on board the submarine was filming - in color - and captured images of the plane going down and the resulting rescue. But the film ended up in the guy's closet, until it was discovered 65 years later.

This clip, from a Denver TV station shows one of the original crew seeing - 65 years later - his own rescue. Pretty cool story:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid34762914001?bctid=672454611001

Archived