Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Buffs: "Red Tails" Movie Trailer

Commander PK

I kind of liked the memphis bell movie.

Wasn't a very deep film, but when you consider the average age of a B17 crew memember was 20 years of age. And the average pilot's age was 21... I think the film captureed the fear, the mock pretense of maturity of the "doctor". and really what a bunch of kids approaching an incredible task would do.

Robert Morgan (pilot) was 23 on his first mission over Brest France in the Memphis Belle ( named for his mother), and 24 on his last mission over Lorient... These guys were all just kids.

If you want to see a much more sophisticated movie about WWII bombers... I will suggest "Above and Beyond", the story of the Paul Tibbits who commanded the Enola Gay (also named for his mother).

Talks about how they trained, how infighting in the US Military were handled, and how they transported and conducted the missions.. Great Movie... Tibbits was an incredible professional and a grown man of 30 when he dropped the big one on Japan,, coarse he was only a handful of years older than Morgan whose last mission was in 1943.

I love Memphis Belle. It was on over the weekend on Encore HD. Great story - a bit cheesy but its one of those films that I just have to watch when its on. I will def. check out Above and Beyond.. thanks for the recommendation.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 02:18 PM ----------

How about this ... actual footage of the water crash and rescue of the crew of a B-29 bomber. The entire crew -- 12 aviators -- was rescued by a US submarine after their plane was shot down in 1945, 70 miles off the coast of Japan. An officer on board the submarine was filming - in color - and captured images of the plane going down and the resulting rescue. But the film ended up in the guy's closet, until it was discovered 65 years later.

This clip, from a Denver TV station shows one of the original crew seeing - 65 years later - his own rescue. Pretty cool story:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid34762914001?bctid=672454611001

Very cool. That explosion was huge! I imagine those were the bombs going off on impact?

I always thought it was amazing that there was actual footage of GWH Bush being rescued by a submarine after his Avenger was shot down in WW2.

I kind of liked the memphis bell movie.

Wasn't a very deep film, but when you consider the average age of a B17 crew memember was 20 years of age. And the average pilot's age was 21... I think the film captureed the fear, the mock pretense of maturity of the "doctor". and really what a bunch of kids approaching an incredible task would do.

Robert Morgan (pilot) was 23 on his first mission over Brest France in the Memphis Belle ( named for his mother), and 24 on his last mission over Lorient... These guys were all just kids.

If you want to see a much more sophisticated movie about WWII bombers... I will suggest "Above and Beyond", the story of the Paul Tibbits who commanded the Enola Gay (also named for his mother).

Talks about how they trained, how infighting in the US Military were handled, and how they transported and conducted the missions.. Great Movie... Tibbits was an incredible professional and a grown man of 30 when he dropped the big one on Japan,, coarse he was only a handful of years older than Morgan whose last mission was in 1943.

Did you quote the right post?

Archived