Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp Tweets 8/10/11

StillUnknown

my guess is you will see more of Jenkins replacing bowen rather than carricker. Carricker is just so strong against the run on the rights side. Doesn't matter much there will be a lot of substituting and keeping guys fresh and that's not considering the inevitable injuries. Good to have depth

Are you talking about the entire team or just Jenkins? I was specifically talking about Jenkins.

You have to combine both...

for example.. if our DL was sacking our QB in camp on every play... you have 2 options. A) the DL is freaking awesome or B) The OL is terrible

We have so many changes everywhere that it is difficult to gauge how good any position is when you are only seeing them compete against other positions that are also unknown.

Darrion Scott was and still could be an interesting option for us at DE. I hope he has his life together. He was rated 4th out of 80 DE's in the 2004 draft by nfldraftscout.com

Scott was a third-round draft pick by the Vikings in 2004 and played there until 2008, compiling 128 tackles and 9 1/2 sacks during that time. He spent last season playing with the UFL's Florida Tuskers, coached by Jim Haslett, the Redskins' new defensive coordinator. In July 2008, Scott pleaded guilty to child endangerment for which he received a two-year stayed sentence.Scott, an Ohio State product, is listed as a 6-foot-3, 289-pound defensive end.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/45899.html

DARRION SCOTT

Position: DE

Class: Sr

School: Ohio St.

Conference: Big Ten

Ht., Wt.: 6'3, 289

40 Time: 4.87

Grade: 3.8

Selected by Minnesota Vikings

Round 3, pick 25 (88 overall)

BIO: Three-year starter that's been used at both defensive end and tackle. Totaled 36/8.5/5 from his inside position last season after a junior year of 43/9.5/8.5 at defensive end. Started 10 games as a true sophomore and posted 49/7/2.

POSITIVES: Athletic, speedy edge rusher best at end. Quickly gets off the snap, plays with good pad level and keeps driving up the field. Wedges between blocks and displays excellent range.

NEGATIVES: Not big or bulky on the inside and easily wired in blocks or engulfed at the point. May not have much growth potential.

ANALYSIS: A defender with excellent computer numbers, Scott could end up slipping down charts after a poor campaign in 2003 and become one of the better bargains in this draft. Could eventually develop into a starting left defensive end at the next level.

PROJECTION: Mid Second Round

Its like someone said yesterday when arguing over how many recievers to keep on the team; ask yourself this question, "If you release him, would you really want to try to defend this guy when he plays for another team?".

That's an asinine way to conduct business. When you are thinking about cutting or keeping a guy, you ask yourself this question: "Does he fit, does he have potential, and what is his future here?"

Playing keep away from other teams is a good way to lose games, because you're not shoring up your own team. Worry about your own and improve. Playing keep away is stupid.

Its a good question. You dont really find out about players until the bullets start flying.

You get a good idea of who has worked hard and technique. You can see a basic idea of who has what skills.

For instance, we know Hankerson is going to drop balls (of course, you should have known that anyways).

We know that our DL is improved.

etc.

But, as a whole, you don't know just how you stack up against other teams quite yet :)

Do you really think we'll have 3 NT only players? I realize Cofield can go out to end on our huge packages but I think Nelid may end up on the PS to start the season. In sub-packages, Carriker and Jenkins can play NT so Id keep Bryant on the active roster as a run stuffing NT to spell Cofield. With time and/or injuries Nelid can be promoted to the active roster.

Well that's fine, I wasn't sweating Neild too much.

Except, since when could Carriker play NT, even in sub packages?

You get a good idea of who has worked hard and technique. You can see a basic idea of who has what skills.

For instance, we know Hankerson is going to drop balls (of course, you should have known that anyways).

We know that our DL is improved.

etc.

But, as a whole, you don't know just how you stack up against other teams quite yet :)

I always found that there were some guys who looked great in practice but who vanished in games and some guys who looked scruffy in practice who were just gamers and produced. Clearly if someone is just flat bad in practice they dont often get put in when the games come round mind.

Taylor Jacobs springs to mind as a guy who was reportedly all world in practice but never showed up on Sunday.

I always found that there where some guys who looked great in practice but who vanished in games and some guys who looked scruffy in practice who were just gamers and produced. Clearly if someone is just flat bad in practice they dont often get put in when the games come round mind.

Taylor Jacobs springs to mind as a guy who was reportedly all world in practice but never showed up on Sunday.

Redskins Redskins.com

Mike Shanahan on whether John Beck will play on Friday night: "I can't say for sure right now. He won't play unless he is 100 percent."

Redskins.com

Redskins Redskins.com

Mike Shanahan on Chris Cooley's injury: "There is concern. His knee is sore, but hopefully it keeps on getting better."

Redskins Redskins.com

Chris Cooley sat out Wed. practice and has been ruled out of preseason game. He continues to be slowed by knee soreness.

john_keim John Keim

Kerrigan will play some friday. #redskins

Snide_Remarks Rick Snider

Cooley out Friday vs. Steelers with sore knee. Shanahan unsure on Beck, who didn't do 11-on-11 today.

Redskins kickers will alternate field goal attempts.

Kerrigan will play some vs. Steelers.

Redskins Redskins.com

Mike Shanahan on Chris Cooley's injury: "There is concern. His knee is sore, but hopefully it keeps on getting better."

john_keim John Keim

Donte stallworth is rocking...theme song from flashdance. "She's a maniac..." Likes 80s music.

ryanohalloran Ryan O'Halloran

Five quickees from Redskins AM. 1. Cooley ruled out for game, Hicks probably. Didnt rule out Beck.

2. Kickers will alternate attempts.

3. CB Josh Wilson didn't finish practice -- had thigh worked on. Torain, Kelly also did not practice.

4. At least twice Shanahan stopped practice to gather team in middle of field. Theme was re-focusing. "Pick it up," one player said.

5. NT Barry Cofield hopes the starting defense gets at least a couple of series.

Could not agree more. This defensive line is a breath of fresh air over the previous few seasons. Everything these guys have done so far (Bowen, Cofield and Jenkins), from just watching how they present themselves in interviews, their enthusiasm for this defense and their roles in it, to what they appear to be displaying on the practice field is a sight for sore eyes.

The biggest difference this year, is all those guys are hungry to be there and ready to prove something. It is going to be fun to see what they do.

@redskins

Grossman "I wasn't trying to make some profound statement. I just really believe in this team."

Grossman said he thinks he'll play 2 quarters on Friday. Not offical yet though.

@john_keim

Hicks a longshot for Friday

@Granthpaulsen

Kyle Shanahan praised Darrel Young's physicality at FB. Said he's responded well to his work with the first team in camp.

That's an asinine way to conduct business. When you are thinking about cutting or keeping a guy, you ask yourself this question: "Does he fit, does he have potential, and what is his future here?"

Playing keep away from other teams is a good way to lose games, because you're not shoring up your own team. Worry about your own and improve. Playing keep away is stupid.

KDAWG, My intent when I used this statement was not based on being scared to let a guy go because he might get picked up by someone else, my intent was to simply show another way of looking at whether a guy can contribute on THIS team and imagine just how explosive the guy can be either at WR or ST. I think he showed that last year with his return ability, you dont remember teams punting away from him at the end of last year?I think it was "asinine" for you to get so worked up. Is it worth keeping him on the squad as #5 or #6? I dont know, i will leave that up to the guys coaching him on a daily basis. If he is better than those around him keep him, if not then he should be released.

Do you really think we'll have 3 NT only players? I realize Cofield can go out to end on our huge packages but I think Nelid may end up on the PS to start the season. In sub-packages, Carriker and Jenkins can play NT so Id keep Bryant on the active roster as a run stuffing NT to spell Cofield. With time and/or injuries Nelid can be promoted to the active roster.

We're trying to get younger as a team. If Neild shows some talent as a run stuff Kelly Gregg type, then he needs to make the 53 man roster. As others have said, Coefield can slide to DE and I don't view him as a true nose anyways. If we have a young NT on the roster that shows any long-term potential, you can't risk putting him on the PS and having him go through waivers.

I think he showed that last year with his return ability, you dont remember teams punting away from him at the end of last year?

I don't think I said anything about anyone in particular. Just how flawed that line of thinking is.

I think it was "asinine" for you to get so worked up

Who's worked up? I just think that saying sucks. Sorry. It's like saying "Hey, the Cowboys want to sign Clinton Portis... Now, we let him go, and he's old and doesn;t really fit anymore, but let's sign him anyways and take a roster spot just so they can't get him!" It's a flawed way of thinking.

I don't think I said anything about anyone in particular. Just how flawed that line of thinking is.

Who's worked up? I just think that saying sucks. Sorry. It's like saying "Hey, the Cowboys want to sign Clinton Portis... Now, we let him go, and he's old and doesn;t really fit anymore, but let's sign him anyways and take a roster spot just so they can't get him!" It's a flawed way of thinking.

I agree with what your saying. I should have clarified my original post to say that I thought this was a different way to look at things and to see things from that perspective. In no way was I advocating keeping him or anyone else just to keep a player away from other teams. Haynsworth would come to mind in that line of thinking.

Archived