Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best mp3 player (iPod or otherwise)

Mr. S

Hey all,

I am looking for an mp3 player with a large hard drive (at least 40 gbs) to store all my music and as a backup device to my laptop hard drive. I know the iPod's do have the "classic" lines which boast large hard drives, but they are also expensive.

Does anyone have a non iPod mp3 player that they would recommend? Also, does anyone have experience with removable memory mp3 players? I heard the Creative Zen is good, as well as the Zune though I don't trust a microsoft product.

Is it ultimately worth it to just buy an iPod Classic?

The iPod classics are great...but they aren't really meant to be a backup to your music library. You can certainly put all of your music on it but you cannot use iTunes to bring your non-iTunes music back onto the computer in the event of a hdd failure.

I actually really like the Zune interface...far more than the iPod's.

I always get a kick out of all the iTunes haters. Comical. It was around before Zune, and it will be around long after Zune's demise. Give it a rest, guys. iTunes rules (except for going up to $1.29 per song).

If you had comprehension skills higher than that of a turtle, you would realize that no one in here is hating on iTunes.

But dumb and pointless comments are expected from you so please continue. :)

The iPod classics are great...but they aren't really meant to be a backup to your music library. You can certainly put all of your music on it but you cannot use iTunes to bring your non-iTunes music back onto the computer in the event of a hdd failure.

I actually really like the Zune interface...far more than the iPod's.

I don't use iTunes, so I guess all of my music is "non-iTunes music"? I didn't know there was a difference, though I did know you need iTunes to transfer to an iPod. I guess in that case Zune or something else is worthwhile for me?

Would an external hard drive work better? If you're just trying to store music, you can get storage for cheap.

250 Gb for $45

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148407

---------- Post added August-6th-2011 at 04:13 PM ----------

Especially if it's just mp3 files and you just want to back up the stuff that you have, an external hard drive makes the most sense. It's compatible with any computer, and you don't need any special software to run it.

Not with iTunes, no, but you can do it with an iPod.

There are a number of free programs that can pull music off an iPod and onto a computer. When I got a new laptop, I used Floola (www.floola.com) to move my music from my iPod to my computer.

[/color]Especially if it's just mp3 files and you just want to back up the stuff that you have, an external hard drive makes the most sense. It's compatible with any computer, and you don't need any special software to run it.

Having music storage is a secondary function, I have thousands of songs so I want them all to play in my car. I still use CD's and realized a few weeks ago I really need to upgrade!

If you had comprehension skills higher than that of a turtle, you would realize that no one in here is hating on iTunes.

But dumb and pointless comments are expected from you so please continue. :)

I'll hate on itunes :)

But I have a Philips mp3 player. Cheap, reliable, not fancy at all. Doesn't have the features you want, though, but I just wanted to come in here and hate on apple products :)

Archived