Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

31 US troops die in Afghanistan; many from unit that killed bin Laden

frostyj

Very bad timing imo,but I've got skin in the game with the casualty list still growing

I'll repost something to give some perspective

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-05-26-waiting-as-son-serves-in-war-zone_n.htm

Column: My son's in Afghanistan, and I wait …

By Leon S. Brown

The pendulum on the wall clock swings back and forth, even as the hands on the clock seem frozen. I know that the more time passes without hearing anything, the better. But how much time? When can I breathe again?

It was a simple, one sentence statement in an article I picked up off Google News: "Four NATO Troops Killed in IED Blast in Eastern Kunar Province, Afghanistan." Anytime I read "NATO" in such an article, I know it's code for "American." The article continued that no other information is available at this time. In other words, "we're not saying anything until the families are notified!"

We've been through this scenario several times just in the past two months since Jonathan was deployed. We'd hear that there was an action in Kunar with American casualties. Then the waiting — waiting for that knock on the door you pray never comes; waiting for his battalion to post details about what happened and who the victims are on its Facebook page, which they always do after a sufficient amount of time has elapsed for family notification; waiting for a Skype computer call from my son, to us, or to his new wife who's maintaining their residence at Scofield Barracks in Hawaii. Just waiting

Before his deployment, I had often wondered what it would be like to have a son off at war; to know that he is in the proximity of people whose only goal in life is to kill my child, and there is nothing I can do about it. Well now I know.

I have not told my wife about the article announcing the combat deaths. She already lives in a state of constant fear. What purpose would it serve to further burden her with the unknown? So I wait, alone, periodically clicking on his battalion's Facebook page — nothing; going from there to email hoping to hear from his wife that he has contacted her. Again, nothing. So I go back to waiting.

Should I feel guilty because I'm praying that the horrible news someone will certainly receive is not me? What unspeakable sorrow will four families face when they learn that their son, husband, father, uncle, friend has died in a lonely mountain valley in an isolated region of Afghanistan? I do feel guilty, but I pray for it anyway. May God forgive me for this. May I forgive me for this.

Forty-five minutes have passed since I started writing this piece. Still no word; still nothing on Facebook, nothing on email, no phone call from his wife, and, thank God, no knock on the door.

And the pendulum still swings on the clock and the hands don't seem to move.

Please visit the link for the whole piece

'I wouldn't wish this on anyone,' Navy SEAL widow says

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/07/afghanistan.fatality/index.html

Navy SEAL Aaron Vaughn "wouldn't want to leave this Earth any other way than how he did," his wife told CNN, a day after she learned her husband was one of 30 U.S. service members killed in a helicopter crash Saturday in Afghanistan.

"He loved his job," Kimberly Vaughn said. "There was no way -- even if you could tell him that this would have happened he would have done it anyway. All those men are like that. They're selfless."

I think it is you who needs to STFU. What are you going to do, report him to the fusion center/homeland security for inciting terrorism if he doesnt stop?

Is that what we have come too? Shouting down anybody who dares propose a reality different from the one that has been given to us, just because it involves the death of honorable men.

I idolized the SEAL Teams through my whole childhood, but I still want to know the truth.

All he brought up was that it was a suspicious coincidence and that there were potentially other possibilities as to what happened. Is this so outlandish?

Have you not learned that the government and military are participating in coverups and conspiracies ALL THE TIME? This does not mean that the theories based around them are true but, the stories of Pat Tillman and Gulf of tonkin among hundreds of others have shown us that questioning the official story and the actions of our governement and ALL its agents is not only necessary but often turns out to uncover that which we fear most.

Our biggest problem as a nation is that we trust our government, our military, and our press TOO much. We need to start questioning more. Many of the conspiracies are true, its just the crazier ones that give the rest a bad name.

I am currently serving in Afghanistan and I am amazed. I grew up in the D.C. area and was proud to enlist the day the Ground War started in Iraq in 1991. I have put twenty years of my life serving our nation and the last ten years defending her from abroad.

The military has no conspiracy. We do not cover up the events that take place or waste hundreds of thousands of dollars to create an event to place Soldiers in some variation of the witness protection program. I would hope you trust your military. I would hope that you have faith that we ensure another attack does not reach american soil.

Politicians do not fully undedrstand what it is we do day in and day out. Most of the time when we do get politicians in theater to visit us it is only because an election is upcoming. We should not be advertisement campaigns. This war on terror has been ongoing for 10 years and us Soldiers are tired of it as well. But we will continue to serve.

We are the sons and daughters of America. We deploy to countrys that typical do not care for us. We engage the enemy and defend our country. We build schools, teach children to read, deliver life essential goods to areas that are stricken with disease and hunger.

I have never been in a newspaper, and I have never asked for recognition for my service. It is my job, just as it the job of my 74 Soldiers (most of whom are under the age of 21). Please do not disgrace the names of the fallen by insinuating that there is a political agenda because there were members of the same Seal Team on board. They were conducting a mission and it turned tragic. It happens, and we know the risk. But we took an oath. The oath of our service to our nation in which we fully accepted the dangers that we could face.

Did you raise an american flag on 9/11? Were you proud of the firefighters, Policemen, and the US Military? If so, when did you put your flag away. I am still serving, and I wear a flag everday for you!

Did you raise an american flag on 9/11? Were you proud of the firefighters, Policemen, and the US Military? If so, when did you put your flag away. I am still serving, and I wear a flag everday for you!

Thank you for serving to keep me safe.

My prayers for your safe return.

Well said.

I am currently serving in Afghanistan and I am amazed. I grew up in the D.C. area and was proud to enlist the day the Ground War started in Iraq in 1991. I have put twenty years of my life serving our nation and the last ten years defending her from abroad.

The military has no conspiracy. We do not cover up the events that take place or waste hundreds of thousands of dollars to create an event to place Soldiers in some variation of the witness protection program. I would hope you trust your military. I would hope that you have faith that we ensure another attack does not reach american soil.

Politicians do not fully undedrstand what it is we do day in and day out. Most of the time when we do get politicians in theater to visit us it is only because an election is upcoming. We should not be advertisement campaigns. This war on terror has been ongoing for 10 years and us Soldiers are tired of it as well. But we will continue to serve.

We are the sons and daughters of America. We deploy to countrys that typical do not care for us. We engage the enemy and defend our country. We build schools, teach children to read, deliver life essential goods to areas that are stricken with disease and hunger.

I have never been in a newspaper, and I have never asked for recognition for my service. It is my job, just as it the job of my 74 Soldiers (most of whom are under the age of 21). Please do not disgrace the names of the fallen by insinuating that there is a political agenda because there were members of the same Seal Team on board. They were conducting a mission and it turned tragic. It happens, and we know the risk. But we took an oath. The oath of our service to our nation in which we fully accepted the dangers that we could face.

Thanks for your service man and I love the quote in your signature.

Thank you. And thank you to all who serve. You are all my heroes.

I have saluted every flag I have passed my whole life, I am probably too patriotic. Like I said I idolized the SEAL teams growing up. I used to love the Rogue Warrior books and read everything I could about the SEALS, especially team 6.. This is not an issue of my patriotism or my respect and understanding of what it is our armed forces do for us. It is an issue of whether or not this poster should have been shouted down or not.

I backed all of our plays going into all these wars, and defended them vigorously. Now like you said, after 10 years, even the soldiers are getting tired of them. What are they doing roaming around the deserts of Iraq and mountains of Afghanistan for 10 years, seriously? Are we to fight there until there is nobody left who hates america enough to come here and hurt us? It is absurd.

Besides we can't afford it, but that's another discussion.

It is now obvious to me that most of our objectives are political ones, and that special interest is what drives most of our foreign policy. So for the countries sake, the soldiers sake, for my sake, I want it over.

With this in mind I do not believe you are being honest about the idea of conspiracies in the military. The military has done a lot of things it should not have, in a lot of places. So have the other intellegence services. I respect the troops, but will be respectfully critical of their use, and the reporting of their actions. Whether it involves death or not.

I have no conspiracy theory on this story. I only know what the official military report says. Is it a coincidence that a whole group of soldiers in the same unit that kidnapped Bin Laden got killed soon after they were involved in his capture? Yes. How many members of SEAL Team 6 are there in active duty in Afghanistan, probably few enough where there was definitely some crossover. We would have to find out some more information before i would venture any guesses about an alternate story other then what is being told. But it is plausible that there are lies and misdirection going on in this story and the Bin Laden capture one. The army does lie about what happens to soldiers in combat and has done so for years.

I have no conspiracy theory on this story. I only know what the official military report says. Is it a coincidence that a whole group of soldiers in the same unit that kidnapped Bin Laden got killed soon after they were involved in his capture? Yes. How many members of SEAL Team 6 are there in active duty in Afghanistan, probably few enough where there was definitely some crossover. We would have to find out some more information before i would venture any guesses about an alternate story other then what is being told. But it is plausible that there are lies and misdirection going on in this story and the Bin Laden capture one. The army does lie about what happens to soldiers in combat and has done so for years.

Then use your brain. Consider the points I raised for you. It's one thing to ask questions when questions are aroused. It's quite another to raise questions based on a theory that makes no ******* sense whatsoever.

But it is plausible that there are lies and misdirection going on in this story and the Bin Laden capture one. The army does lie about what happens to soldiers in combat and has done so for years. 

Have you served? Have you led more than 30 teenagers through training in the bitter cold and scorching heat? Have you been in a gun fight, treated Soldiers and civilians bleeding from the blast of a suicide bomber? Where are your facts? And where is your patriotism?

When we first started to deploy to Afghanistan I am certain you were at a prime age to enlist into service if you were truly that patriotic! Or did reading to many "Rogue Warrior" books set enough fear into your heart that you could not bear that cross?

My friend, I have served this nation and every citizen in it faithfully. To make a statement about any branch of service and make accusations without every serving in the military is very bold indeed. This is not some movie where there is an alterior motive. This is life, and this is war. We deployed on order of the Commander and Chief and have been deployed since.

The Army is nothing more than a microcosm of the United States. The lies you refer to might be based on the liberal bias that you listen to which is portraying the war in a negative light. Not that I agree with the conservative media either which spends most of its time debunking individuals and not issues. So what fact do you base your knowledge on? Fiction books, or could it be the media that can always find time to broadcasts the news of death and tradgey but never show the successes achieved abroad.

What do you know of either the Iraqi or Afghan culture? What do you know of the Islamic faith? I know that most americans no nothing of either. I also know that the citizens of our great nation will probably never no the suffering both countrys have endured. I am blessed to actually have friends in both countrys. I hope and pray for the day I could return as a tourist to walk the streets with my friends but without the 50 - 60 pounds of protective gear on. That way I could truly cherish the history of each country.

I will leave you with this. Instead of imagining what awful situations are being dreampt up by the politicians and the military. Experience it first hand, join my Army and display your patriotism. Before you accuse someone of lying get your facts straight. I have carried fallen Hereos off the battlefield and placed their remains on the bird that ensures they are returned to their family. And I have personally vowed that I would serve honorably for them and their families. Our Army is a values based organization. Which means our actions are displayed through Loyaly, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. When you make sensless accusations against the organizations that protect your freedom it offends those very same individuals.

But it is plausible that there are lies and misdirection going on in this story and the Bin Laden capture one. The army does lie about what happens to soldiers in combat and has done so for years. 

Have you served? Have you led more than 30 teenagers through training in the bitter cold and scorching heat? Have you been in a gun fight, treated Soldiers and civilians bleeding from the blast of a suicide bomber? Where are your facts? And where is your patriotism?

When we first started to deploy to Afghanistan I am certain you were at a prime age to enlist into service if you were truly that patriotic! Or did reading to many "Rogue Warrior" books set enough fear into your heart that you could not bear that cross?

My friend, I have served this nation and every citizen in it faithfully. To make a statement about any branch of service and make accusations without every serving in the military is very bold indeed. This is not some movie where there is an alterior motive. This is life, and this is war. We deployed on order of the Commander and Chief and have been deployed since.

The Army is nothing more than a microcosm of the United States. The lies you refer to might be based on the liberal bias that you listen to which is portraying the war in a negative light. Not that I agree with the conservative media either which spends most of its time debunking individuals and not issues. So what fact do you base your knowledge on? Fiction books, or could it be the media that can always find time to broadcasts the news of death and tradgey but never show the successes achieved abroad.

What do you know of either the Iraqi or Afghan culture? What do you know of the Islamic faith? I know that most americans no nothing of either. I also know that the citizens of our great nation will probably never no the suffering both countrys have endured. I am blessed to actually have friends in both countrys. I hope and pray for the day I could return as a tourist to walk the streets with my friends but without the 50 - 60 pounds of protective gear on. That way I could truly cherish the history of each country.

I will leave you with this. Instead of imagining what awful situations are being dreampt up by the politicians and the military. Experience it first hand, join my Army and display your patriotism. Before you accuse someone of lying get your facts straight. I have carried fallen Hereos off the battlefield and placed their remains on the bird that ensures they are returned to their family. And I have personally vowed that I would serve honorably for them and their families. Our Army is a values based organization. Which means our actions are displayed through Loyaly, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. When you make sensless accusations against the organizations that protect your freedom it offends those very same individuals.

I do not think its possible to express my sincere respect for your service and the service of all the US armed forces and express my disagreements for the way they are being used at the same time. Especially in this thread. I would not have chose to argue these points here. I only was trying to defend someone else who was. Not because they were correct, but because they were shouted down and insulted instead of ignored or dismissed.

If you want to direct your anger at me, that is fine. I assure you that I do not take these issues lightly. Your post would mirror mine in defense of you, if you believe that.

I think the US soldier is the finest soldier in the world and the US military is the greatest force for good in the world. I have been passionate about their defense of this country for a long time. This does not mean our forces cannot be used for the wrong reasons. I used to think that as soon as soldiers touched down in any country with flags on their chests that it was my duty to get in line behind them and support any way possible. And I did. I now think differently, and I apologize if this comes off unpatriotic.

I appreciate your service and humbly agree that you have done more then I could ever do for this country. I am going to leave this thread with my tail between my legs because arguing with heroes is not what I want to do anywhere at anytime. Especially not in this thread. Thank you for defending this country, I hope I can do my part as well one day.

The only PotUS candidates who have a zero War tolerance mostly get called "loons", so these Wars aren't ending any time soon. That's a shame.

an all out war isn't needed but using our operators over there needs to continue, most of the guys when they finish these schools are eager to head right over there,RIP to the seals, the combat controllers and night stalker pilots

I just want to add for those of you serving over there with brave young Americans under your command, please pass along our best wishes and thanks to them as well. I know I'm not alone in this. No matter which side of the political debate we chose, I think I can safely say, we all extend our thanks, respect, admiration and prayers for your safe return home.

I just want to add for those of you serving over there with brave young Americans under your command, please pass along our best wishes and thanks to them as well. I know I'm not alone in this. No matter which side of the political debate we chose, I think I can safely say, we all extend our thanks, respect, admiration and prayers for your safe return home.

I agree completely. The loss of so many of our bravest soldiers is a catastrophe. I apologize for distracting from this, but a lot of times disasters like this have stories that need to be told. Now is just not the time, nor is there any other story to tell at this time, other then one of sympathy for the loss of the some of the best men this country has to offer.

Was watching an interview on Piers Morgan Tonight with a journalist that was embedded in Afghanistan with the Army. Apparently the SEALs were part of a quick reaction force hastily assembled en route to rescue a force of Army Rangers that were in trouble. Really disconcerting that an elite group like the Rangers would need such assistance especially only 60 miles from Kabul.

Was watching an interview on Piers Morgan Tonight with a journalist that was embedded in Afghanistan with the Army. Apparently the SEALs were part of a quick reaction force hastily assembled en route to rescue a force of Army Rangers that were in trouble. Really disconcerting that an elite group like the Rangers would need such assistance especially only 60 miles from Kabul.

It will be interesting to see if the mouse was the cat in this case.(a setup)

Our raids are often small units and depend on good intell(even Rangers and Seals)

not clear that the Rangers were in trouble,but rather the situation and targets were not what was expected

http://www.isaf.nato.int/article/isaf-releases/special-operations-mission-targeted-taliban-leader-in-tangi-valley.html

The operation began as a security search for a Taliban leader responsible for insurgent operations in the nearby Tangi Valley. After commencing the search, the initial security force on the ground observed several insurgents, armed with rocket propelled grenade launchers and AK-47 assault rifles, moving through the area.

The security force and insurgents exchanged small arms fire, resulting in several enemies killed.

As the insurgents continued to fire, the combined force on the ground requested additional forces to assist the operation. Those additional personnel were in-bound to the scene when the CH-47 carrying them crashed, killing all on board.

Immediately following the crash, the forces already on the ground broke contact with the insurgents and moved to the crash site to secure the scene and search for survivors. Additional security elements deployed from a nearby forward operating base to augment the search and security efforts.

CNN - U.S. Forces Kill Taliban Fighters Who Downed U.S. Chopper

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Coalition forces in Afghanistan have killed the Taliban insurgents responsible for the downing of a helicopter that left 38 U.S. and Afghan personnel dead, the commander of U.S. forces there and NATO announced Wednesday.

A precision airstrike killed Mullah Mohibullah -- a Taliban leader -- and the insurgent who fired the shot on the helicopter, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said. Several of their Taliban associates were also killed, the military said.

"This does not ease our loss, but we must and we will continue to relentlessly pursue the enemy," Gen. John Allen, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, told Pentagon reporters assembled for a video news conference Wednesday.

The strike took place in Chak district, Wardak province, on Monday, the ISAF said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/08/10/afghanistan.seals.chopper/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Archived