Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Brandon Banks?

Mania

I'm sorry....what part of absolute white hot lightning in the return game do people not like?

Whatever it takes to be an elite returner, Banks has it and he's only just starting his second season and people want to get rid of him?!

I don't get it.

Unreal. Why are some of you pointing out:

1. He was an UFA? I mean it's not like we didn't just ink an UFA to a 5 year 20 something million dollar deal...oh wait

2. He wasn't very good last year. I mean its not like we have had a great kick returner here for the past almost 2 decades...oh wait.

3. Niles Paul and Donte Stallworth are suitable replacements...come on man this is just the dumbest thing I've heard. What do any of you have to support that claim?

Really love GHH's posts, this about sums it up for me

Seriously any team with a need at returner would salivate at the opportunity to get Banks for a low draft pick. To think otherwise just isn't accurate. A guy like Banks doesn't just grow on trees and had it not been for some holding calls dude would have had 3 TD's returning on the season. Anyway we'd be dumbasses to keep Stallworth over Banks and Paul hasn't shown he could replace a paper bag let alone someone with the elusiveness as Banks. Get real.

:yes: :yes:

Banks flipped the field quite often, and for a team that is in a rebuilding mode having a player who can give the offense a short field is not something you blow off or turn your back on with ease.

The "dime a dozen" comments crack me up, too...among PRs who fielded 20+ punts, Banks ranked #10. If finding a top 10 punt returner is a piece of cake, why have the Redskins only had one other top 10 PR in damn near 15 years? I'll tell you why: because top 10 PRs are NOT a dime a dozen. If you're lucky enough to find one--and find one without using a draft pick on him--you don't give up on him easily.

If Banks does get cut, I guarantee you that it will NOT be because punt returners like him are "a dime a dozen".

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 10:28 AM ----------

I'm sorry....what part of absolute white hot lightning in the return game do people not like?

Whatever it takes to be an elite returner, Banks has it and he's only just starting his second season and people want to get rid of him?!

I don't get it.

He's getting in the way of some people's current man-crushes lol...

The thing missing in these stats were how many touchdowns were called back by phantom blocks or blocks that didn't impact the return? Banks had at least three and touchdowns taken away by reffing and probably a few more by stupid holds or blocks in the back. So yes, he was quite effective and teams were scared of him. The problem Banks has is his size will lead to durability problems. He got hurt, came back quickly, but the likely of the piles and hits leading to injury is greater because of how much bigger his attackers are.

Sorry Burgold I don't operate in the land of "If''s" or "But's". Banks play along with his factual statistics say he's a fringe top 10 return man with one TD. That's part of what's wrong with the fan base. We always skew facts or play pretend what if scenario's with players we like. You Know "IF" we drafted Tom Brady we wouldn't be the perennial 6-10 Redskins either.

Good return men are a dime a dozen in this league now a days. Banks is great and I would love to have him remain on this team, but he is just a fan favorite and we need an actual reciever that is a good return man as well.........NILES PAUL!!!!!

Sorry Burgold I don't operate in the land of "If''s" or "But's". Banks play along with his factual statistics say he's a fringe top 10 return man with one TD. That's part of what's wrong with the fan base. We always skew facts or play pretend what if scenario's with players we like. You Know "IF" we drafted Tom Brady we wouldn't be the perennial 6-10 Redskins either.

But this is reality in terms of how many times he got to the endzone untouched. Now, it's not scoreboard reality, but if you are judging him in isolation and not the team. It counts.

But this is reality in terms of how many times he got to the endzone untouched. Now, it's not scoreboard reality, but if you are judging him in isolation and not the team. It counts.

I understand how you feel about the return in which Riley was called for the block in the back that really had no influence on the play and in a perfect football world would've been a TD. Problem is if you do that you also have to go back and find out how many big play returns were negated from the other return man due to penalties they had no control over. That's why I say I'm not going to go into the what if realm. Oh and I forgot to add I do agree with his overall size evaluation you gave in your previous post.

Good return men are a dime a dozen in this league now a days. Banks is great and I would love to have him remain on this team, but he is just a fan favorite and we need an actual reciever that is a good return man as well.........NILES PAUL!!!!!

good return man like banks are not a dime a dozen, 5th receivers are.

Banks has rare potential like few guys in this league, you don't cut jermaine lewis for the ravens in 2000 because they needed better receivers, he was their best offense most of the time in their superbowl year

I can't believe some of the responses. The eventually super bowl champion packers didn't kick to him except ONCE the entire game. It happened almost every game.

And then what if every team does that? That means if Banks isn't a good WR, he hardly touches the ball all season and our offense still has to manage to take advantage of the field position. Whereas if Banks is good on offense, he can still cause trouble lining up.

THAT is why people are responding this way. ST is a luxury the Redskins don't really have. If Banks shows he can play the slot or be a big receiving threat than yes it would be stupid to get rid of him, but what good would that fear do if the Redskins can never do anything with that field position because they never have a passing game and big play WRs?

---------- Post added August-8th-2011 at 04:20 PM ----------

good return man like banks are not a dime a dozen, 5th receivers are.

Banks has rare potential like few guys in this league, you don't cut jermaine lewis for the ravens in 2000 because they needed better receivers, he was their best offense most of the time in their superbowl year

Thats a bit misleading. First of all, Jermaine Lewis had 2-4 seasons where he had nearly 20-40 receptions at the WR spot so its not like he didn't play there at all. At the moment, Banks hasn't shown he could even get more than 10 yet. Secondly, 5th receivers are supposed to be young talented guys you want to groom to eventually be your starters. WTH is with the thinking that they're some useless position? the 4th and 5th WRs are usually the young guys you want to be the future of your team, you can't always rely on drafting a guy who starts as your 2nd or 3rd guy everytime you need WR help.

Archived