Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BGO.C.D. - Heaven Can Wait

Tarhog

As this 2011 version of our Washington Redskins, the ‘Under the Hill Gang’, prepare to wage NFL warfare, one question among countless resounds.

Who the hell IS John Beck?

In the vernacular of late 70’s movies, I’m worried John Beck is more Leo Farnsworth than Joe Pendleton.

Although Beck, selected in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft by Miami, is no NFL neophyte, he might as well be. Beyond a 50 mile radius from Ashburn, Virginia, he’s got about as much name recognition as new Redskins punter Sav Rocca.

Mike Shanahan can’t stop gushing about Farnsworth…errr….Beck. He has ‘all the confidence in the world in him’. Shanahan simultaneously expresses the same sentiments for Rex Grossman, perhaps an indication he’s hedging his bets should Beck prove to be more fool’s gold than hidden gem. Everyone knows who Rex Grossman is. Erstwhile head-case from Chicago. Chock full of potential, low on consistency, capable of streaky effectiveness and mind-numbingly bad decisions, sometimes in the same game. Perhaps an older, more mature Grossman is ready to turn the performance corner. There were hints of such possibility during his 4 game stretch as starter to close the 2010 campaign. Regardless – Redskins fans know what they’ve currently got in Grossman. But Beck is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

60. That’s the number of NFL game passes John Beck has completed. 1. That’s the number of NFL touchdown passes Beck has thrown. 0. That’s the number of NFL game victories Beck has notched on his belt in his sum total 4 NFL starts. John Beck may be Tom Brady before he was Tom Brady. And Ben Chappel may be the next Peyton Manning. The cases for each are about equally compelling.

Maybe Beck’s career at BYU might give us some clues as what to expect? Beck took over at QB for the Cougars as a freshman in 2003, starting 4 games, and never looked back. Beck’s career BYU stats are solid. In 3+ years, he threw for over 11,000 yards, completing 62.4% of his passes with 79 touchdowns and only 34 interceptions. With Beck under center, the Cougars improved from 5-6 and 3rd in the Mountain West Conference his sophomore year, to 11-2 and the conference title in his final season. By his senior year, some analysts had Beck the 2nd-rated QB in the nation, mostly on the strength of his 173 QB rating.

Beck’s pre-draft NFL scouting report in 2007 summarized the soon-to-be 2nd rounder as follows:

’Very intelligent player who has no problem executing a complicated game plan...Student of the game who breaks down opposing film and does a good job of making adjustments on the field ... Plays through pain and shows very good poise in the pocket and confidence in his protection, as it is rare to see him bolt too early, as he will stand tall and take some shots under pressure ... Has good throwing mechanics and sets his feet with agility and solid base ... Even with just average timed speed, his feet appear light when forced to move out of the pocket ... In 2006, he received much better pocket protection, allowing him to take his time making reads to locate secondary targets ... Displays awareness to anticipate when the receiver is coming out of the breaks ... With his three-quarters delivery and natural hands, Beck is very effective at getting the ball out quickly ... Shows very good arm whip to get the ball out in time to hit the receivers coming out of their breaks ... In the short-to-intermediate area, Beck's tosses show good zip and velocity.’

Despite that fairly glowing appraisal, most NFL scouts had concerns about Beck’s less than prototypical size (6’2”, 215 lbs or so) and borderline arm strength. Whether Beck’s NFL success will be limited by either of those two perceived weaknesses remains to be seen. If there’s one guy who believes in John Beck, it’s John Beck. Asked about his arm strength after being drafted by the Dolphins, Beck responded ’You can call up my receivers at BYU and ask them about my arm strength.’ Beck insisted that he could "gun it in there" at will but that he was taught if you don't have to gun it, then don't – the ball being easier to catch and more accurate if you don't throw rockets when you don't have to. Beck’s got one intangible common to all successful NFL QBs. Confidence.

Beck never had a chance in Miami. Thrown into action (along with fellow NFL footnote Cleo Lemon) after Trent Green went down with a season-ending injury in 2007, Beck was hapless and ineffective, as you’d reasonably expect an NFL rookie thrust into action to be. After serving as 3rd stringer the following year, he was released at season’s end, and picked up by the Ravens to ride the pine for a year before finally landing in DC.

As John Beck takes his first snaps under center as presumed Redskin starter, questions will continue. Skins fans won’t have to wait long for answers. It’s hard to know if Mike Shanahan just wants a smart, coachable placeholder in place until he finds his eventual quarterbacking dreamboat, or whether he really believes mystery date Beck is a diamond in the rough, an NFL starter who just hasn’t been in the right situation to succeed and shine.

Shanahan loves Beck. And who can blame him? After a year contending with a pouty, selfish, and resistant-to-coaching Donovan McNabb, Shanahan’s got to be absolutely giddy at the prospect of grooming a QB who’ll listen, has some fire in his belly, and can stick to the positive, upbeat script. Beck isn’t just figuratively a boy scout, he’s literally an Eagle scout. But can he play?

We just don’t know.

What happens if, as I predict, Grossman clearly outperforms the kid in training camp and pre-season? Does Shanahan stick to his guns and hand over the starting reigns to Beck anyway? What happens if the Redskins start 0-6 with Beck leading the way? With arguably only two sure-fire ‘should win’ games on the schedule (vs. Arizona and at Carolina), and a completely overhauled and largely inexperienced roster, that kind of start is a distinct possibility. What kind of leash would starting QB John Beck be on?

I suspect a short one.

I hope I’m wrong. Shanahan could be right about John Beck. Stranger things have happened. But even if Mike Shanahan really is smarter than all of his NFL coaching counterparts, and has found in Beck something real and promising that can be nurtured and grown, it’s going to take time and probably some pain to evolve. For almost 20 years, the Redskins have alternated between trying to draft a franchise QB and trading for one. Neither approach has worked. Maybe going ‘homegrown’ will have better results. If Mike Shanahan believes John Beck is a future NFL starting QB in the making, let’s hope he has the courage of his convictions, and the stomach to endure what it’ll take to get him there.

It’s possible Farnsworth….errrr….Beck, previously lying unresponsive and forgotten might just pop-up off that NFL turf and rise reincarnated as a talented, capable NFL starting QB. How beautiful and sweet might it be if the Redskins actually had their future answer at QB already on the roster? It’s not likely. But that’s the kind of story that makes Hollywood, and the NFL, so captivating.

Redskins fans seem to have embraced a new paradigm this year. It’s called ‘realism’. We know this team, now one of the youngest in the NFL, has growing pains and an uphill battle ahead. Success won’t come overnight for Beck or his teammates. Some really awful clarinet music may be in our immediate future. And we’re down with that.

Heaven can wait.

To read more BGO.C.D. blog entries, click HERE

As this 2011 version of our Washington Redskins, the ‘Under the Hill Gang’, prepare to wage NFL warfare, one question among countless resounds.

I like this moniker. "The Under the Hill Gang." :cool:

Asked about his arm strength after being drafted by the Dolphins, Beck responded ’You can call up my receivers at BYU and ask them about my arm strength.’ Beck insisted that he could "gun it in there" at will but that he was taught if you don't have to gun it, then don't – the ball being easier to catch and more accurate if you don't throw rockets when you don't have to.

Bill Walsch used to talk about this. Part of what made Joe Montana and Steve Young so great is that they threw catchable balls. You do not have to throw fastballs like Jeff George every time, in fact you shouldn't. Throw with timing and accuracy, and throw your teammates a ball they can catch, don't just try to force it in there at the last second.

I hope I’m wrong. Shanahan could be right about John Beck. Stranger things have happened. But even if Mike Shanahan really is smarter than all of his NFL coaching counterparts, and has found in Beck something real and promising that can be nurtured and grown, it’s going to take time and probably some pain to evolve. For almost 20 years, the Redskins have alternated between trying to draft a franchise QB and trading for one. Neither approach has worked. Maybe going ‘homegrown’ will have better results. If Mike Shanahan believes John Beck is a future NFL starting QB in the making, let’s hope he has the courage of his convictions, and the stomach to endure what it’ll take to get him there.

I agree with this. Beck might be as good as Shanny says, but it will take time for the perfectionist to perfect his craft. Timing with the receivers is a big thing for him, and any QB really. Here's hoping the coaches are more patient than the fans.

Beck is most certainly on a short leash I'd agree. To me, we're basically renting a QB until next season. Unless Beck has a Pro Bowl caliber season (which ain't happening) Mike, Kyle and Bruce will address the position in earnest after the season in the form of a 1st round QB. We could also entertain the possibility of going after Caleb Hanie who performed quite well in Cutler's absence. It's reasonable to assume Rex gets the nod at some point too either outright before the season or somewhere during therein.

Pretty good piece but with one glaring inaccuracy.

Shanahan has never committed to Beck. He has committed to giving Beck a shot. This is a competition and the best QB will start.

Agreed.

I have read (and heard) Shanahan praising Beck, but nowhere have I read or heard Shanahan say Beck is definitely the opening day starter.

I don't think he has made up his mind yet.

Okay Mike...that's fair, although I think Shanahan's words if not explicitly stating its Beck's job to lose, certainly have implied it. So I'm not sure that's as inaccurate as you claim. But I'll circle back around to see exactly what Shahahan's words have been on the topic. Bottom line - as I said in the blog, I believe it's likely that Rex is going to make the kid look like what he is in TC, essentially an experienced rookie, and Shanahan won't have the stomach to risk endorsing Beck as his guy when push comes to shove.

Okay Mike...that's fair, although I think Shanahan's words if not explicitly stating its Beck's job to lose, certainly have implied it. So I'm not sure that's as inaccurate as you claim. But I'll circle back around to see exactly what Shahahan's words have been on the topic. Bottom line - as I said in the blog, I believe it's likely that Rex is going to make the kid look like what he is in TC, essentially an experienced rookie, and Shanahan won't have the stomach to risk endorsing Beck as his guy when push comes to shove.

We're parsing words here but I wouldn't so much say that Shanahan implied Beck was going to be the starter as worded his support of him getting a chance to start poorly. I understand why so many people read it that way and once the media picked it up and ran with it it became "fact" as far as most people were concerned.

It was only just this past week that Shanahan clarified his position to the media in an interview shown on NFL network. Many in the "professional" media still haven't caught up to the reality. But there have been several references to the fact that this is an open competition since then.

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2011/08/03/john-beck-ready-for-qb-competition/

Grossman said Tuesday that he was told by the coaching staff the Redskins would “play the best guy,” which was the first public confirmation of a quarterback competition. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan took it one step further Wednesday, saying Beck and Grossman would “without a doubt” battle for the starting role.

As I said though, a well written piece with some info I didn't know about Beck. One thing that keeps popping up lately is Beck's intelligence. I've heard that brought up a few times lately and it's a trait I consider to be one of the most important of all. In the end, I have no idea who will win the competition. I only know that if our worst case is Grossman, I still think we can be competitive and if Beck is better, well then, we might be even better than that.

:cheers:

Bottom line - as I said in the blog, I believe it's likely that Rex is going to make the kid look like what he is in TC, essentially an experienced rookie, and Shanahan won't have the stomach to risk endorsing Beck as his guy when push comes to shove.

The preseason games will probably be our best shot to see just how tight this competition will be. Just in following the training camp news the last two days, though, I don't get the impression that Rex will win out in a lopsided victory.

The preseason games will probably be our best shot to see just how tight this competition will be. Just in following the training camp news the last two days, though, I don't get the impression that Rex will win out in a lopsided victory.

I donno about that. I think it's pretty close. Neither has looked that good from what I hear. Not that I place much stock in early reports. But I will say that if it's even, I think Beck gets the shot just to see what he can do under live fire.

Thank you for mentioning growing pains. I think a lot of us fans tend to want an instant answer - just look at the attitudes about Luck (if we got Luck, he would solve all our QB problems!) when the reality is, if we got him, he would need to go through the same growing pains as any other rookie.

I think we will see Beck at some point this year, early or late depending, but I doubt we will see him for the entire year. (I would love to be wrong about that) IMO next year is when we will see what John Beck is made of. The question is, will we be that patient? I think we will draft a QB in next years draft, and I don't think it will be Luck. I also think that QB will sit in 2012 watching Beck start. The real question is... who will start in 2013?

Great great piece man. Terrific writing. Fair and internally consistent. One of the most balanced approaches I have seen. I am probably most excited about seeing how Beck works out. He really is such a question mark. I think its fascinating how the entire damn country assumes the kid has absolutely no chance to impress. The assumptions are incredible to believe that though.

You either have to assume that Mike Shanahan:

1) Doesn't know QB's. - Is this really feasible. If Beck was as good as ANY QB that Shanny has shown worked with and ultimately proven he has faith in as the starting QB of the franchise I'll be thrilled. I'll be giddy. Even if Beck is Jake Plummer, I'll be totally thrilled. But that's the WORST QB shanny has endorsed like John Beck. Here are the others: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Elway, Jay Cutler and Tony Romo sits to pee. As discussed in another thread, Shanny loved Romo sits to pee before he was called "Romo sits to pee" by anyone. Nah, I ain't buying that this guy saw John Beck, determined the kid has all the tools and intangibles to be the face of his biggest career challenge in restoring the Skins to glory but he is just way off base because he doesn't know what a QB should look like. That just defies logic and is really pretty damn insulting to Shanny who last I checked is still a hall of fame football coach.

or

2) He KNOWS that Beck sucks and doesn't have any of the tools but he is "putting his reputation" on it anyway because Mike doesn't care how dumb he looks. Nope. Mike doesn't strike me as that guy. In fact, I think he probably drew the Haynseworth situation out to a point where some people actually started to feel sympathy for big Al solely because Mike CAN"T STAND looking stupid. He's a genius, he knows it and he wants everyone else to know it. Nope, like the people who are Dany Snyder doesn't care about winning, the facts just don't support the hate. Shanny knows what he is doing and wants everyone to know it. He wouldn't put Beck up there and endorse him like that KNOWING he had Donovan Mcnabb if he wanted to go that route or drafting Blaine Gabbert or any number of other QB's we could have gotten even if we did trade down! If we had Colin Capernick right now, I think this town would be excited for the possibility. If we had taken Jake Locker or Christian Ponder or Blaine Gabbert, or traded for Orton, or Carson Palmer people would believe in the QB right? Shanny could have done all of those things. ALL of them. Easily. He CHOSE not to. Refer back to #1 above and let me say it again "HE CHOSE" not to draft any of them, or trade for any of them because he had John Beck whohe has been developing since the day he took the skins job. Look back, Beck was one of the VERY first and quietest thing Shanny did. John Beck. he was removed for one year from football, studying, learning, visiting camps, getting himself rested and ready to restore his legacy and that of his son in the process and the first thing he did was trade for John beck. And he traded a sandwich for him. Shanny sees something. I believe that. And I trust Shanny over any one of us to make this call. The ONLY conceivable way this makes ANY sense, is that Shanny knows Beck sucks, but that is part of his plan to land Luck. I am literally down to "intentional tank job this year while playing a bunch of young role players who will know the system when we grab the franchise Qb next year." Ok, let's run with this. If the role players he's developing really do play hard and disciplined football and show real improvement throughout the year and we go 4-12 because we have no QB, are you crushed? You'd rather be 7-9, pick 12th? I am not advocating "tanking" because it suggests intentional losing. I don't think that is a possibility here. I think they are gonna try their hardest. . . . with what they got.

If it isn't either 1 or 2 above, then we are about to see the best kept secret in the NFL for the past two years about to be unleashed on the league along with a hungry, fast, young team that is only gonna get better.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 07:36 PM ----------

Pretty good piece but with one glaring inaccuracy.

Shanahan has never committed to Beck. He has committed to giving Beck a shot. This is a competition and the best QB will start.

Yea, but there is a serious vote of confidence in going to war in year two when the fans are rabid and angry. We all know who Grossman is. Shanny is as far into the Beck business as Beck is at this point.

Hey Mike - thanks for sharing, hard to argue with that :) I think Beck's best chance lies in the fact that with all the film on Rex in Chicago, Kyle's opportunity to work with him in Houston, and his starts last year - they KNOW what Grossman is and isn't. Beck is still a closed book. They may decide they want to take a long regular season look at him.

If it isn't either 1 or 2 above, then we are about to see the best kept secret in the NFL for the past two years about to be unleashed on the league along with a hungry, fast, young team that is only gonna get better..

Good post bro. :1stplace:

Boy I wish the season would start so do we don't hear any more about who's gonna start.

If either start.........could we POSSIBLY be worse at QB than anytime in the last ten years geez actually more ???

I think we have a bit of a sleeper team ..... we've never been a media friendly team even when we had the great years I always felt like the press was rooting against us. I know I'm talking long before many of our young fans were born or really into the Redskins. I know how tough it is being a skins fan. Being stationed in Texas twice during the 70's and 80's was TOUGH. We have fumbled and bumbled our way out of so many division titles it isn't funny.

Somwhow though this time I think we have a coach that knows talent and he's not going to let these multi millionaires run the farm anymore. Most don't remember him but when Bobby Bethard left so did our talent. Oh we've won a few but Bobby had the real eye for talent before it started costing everyone a million dollars just to talk to a agent.

I think Shanahan is going to have a team that plays together not not just for the money. Make take a year or two but I think he's off to a very good start this year.

Dan :dallasuck

Agreed Brotherz...Shanahan, unlike a lot of NFL coaches, usually says what he thinks. He may not tell you a damn thing, but if he does speak, he's generally pretty blunt. Only comment I'll make on #1 is that knowing what a QB is capable of doing, and him actually doing it in live-action with real bullets flying - well, those are two different things. If Shanahan says he sees something special in Beck, it's probably there. Whether or not Beck can take advantage of an opportunity and make something happen with whatever that 'it' is, that's another matter entirely.

Agreed Brotherz...Shanahan, unlike a lot of NFL coaches, usually says what he thinks. He may not tell you a damn thing, but if he does speak, he's generally pretty blunt. Only comment I'll make on #1 is that knowing what a QB is capable of doing, and him actually doing it in live-action with real bullets flying - well, those are two different things. If Shanahan says he sees something special in Beck, it's probably there. Whether or not Beck can take advantage of an opportunity and make something happen with whatever that 'it' is, that's another matter entirely.

Oh I agree. I wasn't arguing that Beck was going to light the world on fire this year. But the assumption with almost no reasonable logical basis that Beck is a joke makes absolutely no sense to me. Sure, Shanny can be wrong and based on what we saw with Mcnabb he'll admit it fast and cut bait if he is. But right now I think he believes. And if Mike Shanahan believes, so do I. Let's take it for a ride. Let's see how it goes. Let's get just a little excited for the giant freakin maybe of this situation! Hail!

Oh I agree. I wasn't arguing that Beck was going to light the world on fire this year. But the assumption with almost no reasonable logical basis that Beck is a joke makes absolutely no sense to me. Sure, Shanny can be wrong and based on what we saw with Mcnabb he'll admit it fast and cut bait if he is. But right now I think he believes. And if Mike Shanahan believes, so do I. Let's take it for a ride. Let's see how it goes. Let's get just a little excited for the giant freakin maybe of this situation! Hail!

Totally agree and I'd love it if Beck played pretty well almost solely to see the reactions of all the clowns who bagged on Shanny for even thinking of playing the guy. I distinctly remember Warren Sapp just a week ago saying something like "how many QBs did Shanahan develop?" sracastically after Eisen and Duke bagged on Shanny for believing in Rex and Beck over McNabb. I was so bewildered at such ignorance because Shanahan has been integral to the careers of many great QBs as mentioned above, along with turning Jake Plummer into a top 10 QB, making Brian Greise serviceable and seeing the potential in the likes of Cutler and Romo sits to pee before anyone else really did. What a moronic statement to make.

I'd also add to this discussion that another logical conclusion that may be derived from all of this is that Shanahan all along wanted Rex to come in and be the guy, but not to some outlandish franchise QB-type contract and to do that he needed to make sure Grossman understood we'd be more than willing to roll without him. I honestly saw a ton of potential from Rex in the last 4 games of last season, and I think he's being grossly (mehheheheh) under-estimated. Rex does have the potential to be great in this system. And, yes, I said great.

Another thing being overlooked is this system the Shanahan's have. It is a really, really good system offensively. It's been proven to not only work in the NFL, but to be one of the most prolific offenses year in and year out. I think for the first time since Gibbs I, the system is more important here than any player's talents (though that does obviously play a major role), and thus, any guy they put in there who has even average ability should do well so long as they work within the scheme. Plummer and Griese are perfect examples of that. We saw how Cutler was absolutely on fire playing within that scheme as well at an early stage in his career, only to go to the Bears and struggle until the last quarter of last season. So, yeah, I've got more belief in this system than I've had in any system attempted to be implemented here in Washington for a long, long time and I don't think that belief is even remotely unfounded. Any QB deemed worthy by Shanahan to play in this system will be good enough for me.

You can say he failed with choosing McNabb as a counter-argument to that belief, but I'd point to the fact that McNabb really didn't have an awful season at all... he actually played pretty well statistically speaking when all was said and done. He just wasn't going to be the guy going forward and was far from worthy of the franchise QB contract he signed. Grossman proved he can provide the team the same level of play, if not better (he can actually lead an extended drive within the scheme and wasn't simply boom or bust), than McNabb without the whole franchise QB image and the money and commitment that comes with it. So, in reality, what happened there is just a prudent FO applying what is practically best for the franchise going forward with no emotions attached.

John Beck has the skillset to fit the scheme. The tangibles are there. The intangibles are incomplete, but good as far as we can tell. So, he has a good shot.

Those who think he doesn't base their opinion mostly on the Miami failure. Most people underestimate the value of the support system when grading QB performance.

thesubmittedone, I agree with a great deal of your commentary. I think Grossman can play. What killed nearly killed Grossman's career was his decision-making, not his talent level. He can be a very efficient QB when he's making good decisions. I thought there was a lot to build on in those 4 games from last season. I think it's possible the effusive praise for Beck may be as much about saying to Grossman 'show me you want and are ready to be the guy' as it is true endorsement of Beck. Only issue I'll take from your comments is related to McNabb. Stats can be misleading. McNabb is talented enough he should always look decent statistically. But he threw for fewer TDs and more INTs than at any time in his Eagles career, he looked positively lethargic out there, apparently wasn't particularly interested in feedback from his offensive coordinator, and the offense could get very little going with him under center. He was pretty bad. It's not debatable - Shanahan blew that move. I applaud him for moving on quickly , and if you were going to take a risk on a vet QB, it was a reasonable risk. But it was a bad call to bring McNabb in in my opinion.

Archived