Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I did not know a lot about John Beck until I saw this.

gobigred

I know I posted this before....also what about Trent Green, Rich Gannon, & especially Brad Johnson (he did nothing until he came here. and threw for over 4,000 yards, then went to his 3rd nfl team and won a superbowl) Aside from all that John Beck is changing his number to 12(subsequently Kelly is going to 14). So there's only 1 question to be answered.... Who's buying a Beck jersey this year? HA

Jerry Glanville the coach for ATL did not want Brett Favre, while the Packers GM was the Jets GM the year before (when ATL drafted him) and he coveted Favre..

I suppose then that we're in good shape because someone with authority on this team had graded Beck pretty high coming out of college.

“Let me say, when John Beck did come out [of college], I had him rated as the top quarterback coming out that year, and I didn’t even think it was close,” said Shanahan, who traded with Baltimore last August to get Beck. “I had a lot of confidence in John Beck when he came out in 2007. I evaluate the quarterbacks every year, and I do have confidence in John Beck. He was by far my No. 1 guy. I think the world of him.”

wapo link

If you were universally correct, Brett Favre would have never been traded from Atlanta to Green Bay. Drew Brees would have never been traded from San Diego to New Orleans. I can go one and on. The truth is, it's very very rare that QBs are 1) immediately successful in the NFL and 2) are only successful in the proper system, and 3) Are only successful when all the other pieces fall into place, like a great OL, good defense, etc..

You make excellent points... and I'm still correct.

Hey you know what if his story was differnet I would agree with you, I just want you to think about the situations he came in, he was drafted by the dolphins. When coahes were really up against the wall to win and he never had a chance to grow into a system. Then he went to Baltimore and the qb position was locked down but as Beck put it on redskins.com He had a chance to grow by playing against Ravens #1 defense and he came here without that same pressure and has had a chance to develop. I like this guy because he has a I am the guy attitude and we have not had that kind of guy around here in a while. I am not trying to change your mind. I just hope you get a little excited about the qb position. I expect us all to be surprised when it is alll said and done.

I am a Redskin fan and will be rooting hard for the man. I just think Rex is better and that's who will be under center come week 1. Like I said before, nobody will be happier to be wrong than me. I just don't see it.

The more John Becks thrown at the fans because of what he did in 2007

The more I want to vomit

I don't know Beck personally but this crap about "Support your local bust 2nd rounder" really is getting old

I don't know Beck personally but this crap about "Beck never got a chance" really is getting old

I know why it keeps being said...those in denial about the coach we have and the QB situation on the team need to feel good again

So truth be damned...when the truth is this is the worst looking group of QB's since Spurrier was here with Danny Wuerffull

Part of me can not wait until the first preseason game when those pushing this agenda stop dead in the tracks with the Beck maddness

"Shannahan is a great talent evaluator of QB's"

Thats not a true statement to me and the whole "reputation" about QB's isn't much at all to lose

Then the fan in me takes over and I think its all going to be fine and work out great....

I need therapy

Watch the youtube highlights of him as a dolphin. Checkdown, Bubble Screen, Check down, slant, etc. Can't live completely off of that. Torain/Royster/Helu/Hightower have to provide an unbelievebly explosive running game to help Beck look studly in the NFL.

4 starts, 5 Games played - 1 touchdown. Never more than 177 yards in a game. He needs to show me something huge!!!!

Yeah those stats aren't very pretty, but you have to remember he was playing for the 1-15 Cam Cameron Miami Dolphins team. They were one of the worst teams in rescent football history. Heck if it wasn't for the Detroit Lions efforts--or lack there of--a few years ago they would be the worst. John Beck has done everything he could possibly do to give himself and the Washington Redskins the best shot to succeed with him this year. The guy in the very least has heart, determination and a love for the game. We get in an uproar about players like Albert Haynesworht who get paid and don't care one way or ther other. Beck isn't getting "big football dollars" but he is putting in more effort than Haynesworth and the majority of Danny-era free agents ever did in one offseason.

HTTR

How about that loser, Kurt Warner ?

Why did anyone give that worthless grocery bagger a 2nd look ?

Don't know why anyone believed the hype, and promoted him from Bag Boy.

They should have left him there, just like we should have left Beck out to sea.

How about that loser, Kurt Warner ?

Why did anyone give that worthless grocery bagger a 2nd look ?

Don't know why anyone believed the hype, and promoted him from Bag Boy.

They should have left him there, just like we should have left Beck out to sea.

Question for everyone here..I absolutely agree its POSSIBLE that Beck could be one of those rare late bloomers. Every argument that people have for supporting Beck, couldn't the same be said for Grossman? There are a handful of late 20's, early 30's qb's who don't hit their stride until they get on the right team/right system.

One more thing to keep in consideration..when is the last time my bears have ever developed a QB properly? Orton developed after he left the Bears, Rex (statistically) had his best QBR with the Redskins (small sample size), and Cutler (atleast statistically) has tremendously regressed since he has come to Chicago.

Mick, you are funny. ^^^

This video has been posted before, but I was happy to watch it again. What we see in Beck's BYU highlights is probably what Shanny is seeing, a QB who has good anticipation and timing, good mobility, and puts the ball in the right spot. We do not have much to go on with Beck, but judging by what little we do have, he looks like he might be a good fit for our offense.

I am cautiously optimistic about Beck.

Both Rex & Beck can be effective QB's. IF we have a much improved line and a solid running attack. Period.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 05:36 PM ----------

Have to agree, Neither one of these guys is a super QB, so if the line stinks and the run game stinks, it will be a longer year than last year. Rex probably has a better shot at winning afew games though.

I had to laugh at the video. Not at Beck but at the 4:35 mark, the ESPN ticker shows the Redskins drafting Laron Landry in the 1st round and then our next pick wasn't until the 5th. LOL

Which is actually a relevant, subtle point to make in this discussion - a reason why we should trust Shanahan's decision on Beck. Look at the difference in the way we approached that draft, compared to this year's draft.

People are hoping for waayyy too much out of this man based on a bunch of Youtube clips from his college days.

Plenty of QBs look great in college and just can't make that step up to the pros. The examples are obvious, so I'm not going to list them. i wouldn't rely on any of these clips to tell you what to expect from beck IF he becomes our starter.

If he starts then I'd hope for nothing more than a competent game manager, but however badly Rex may stink it up, I still don't see him losing the job to the likes of Beck.

If he were special we'd already know it... and he'd still be a Dolphin. I'll be happy to be wrong about this, but he's not special.

That must be why Steve Young won all those Super Bowls in Tampa.

Chances are, Beck isn't going to be a great QB. Still, writing him off for not succeeding on a 1-15 team his rookie season followed by a regime change isn't fair. We'll know soon enough whether he can ball. Untill then it's all speculation.

HA! Skins fans wonder why other fans of football across the world don't think Skins fans are knowledgeable about the game.SMH Who would have ever guessed Skins would dump Dmac(traded high draft picks) to name Beck their starter and the fans would be happy about it. We are really going to look like the dumbest fans in America after this season when Dmac, and Big Al plays wel this seasonl.LOL Naive Skins fans agree with every coach Shanny move just like Sheeple smh. By mid season the same fans will be calling for Shanny head gosh you gotta love Washington!

HA! Skins fans wonder why other fans of football across the world don't think Skins fans are knowledgeable about the game.SMH Who would have ever guessed Skins would dump Dmac(traded high draft picks) to name Beck their starter and the fans would be happy about it. We are really going to look like the dumbest fans in America after this season when Dmac, and Big Al plays wel this seasonl.LOL Naive Skins fans agree with every coach Shanny move just like Sheeple smh. By mid season the same fans will be calling for Shanny head gosh you gotta love Washington!

I would say this is a witty post, but that would only be half right.

Guest Spearfeather
If Terrell Davis was so special, then why was he drafted in the 7th round, instead of the 1st ?

Talent is in the eye of the beholder.

Sixth round, I think.....but I agree.

if mcnugget couldnt muster the heart to play lights out after being traded within the division last year i highly doubt his resurgence lasts more than a third of the season. and i personally dont care what fat al does or does not do. he is the ultimate example of addition by subtraction.

Shanahan on NFL Network talking about starting QB, "I've never mentioned a starter. I've never even insinuated a starter".

The Beck era was fun while it lasted.

Lol. Has anyone heard how much $$ they signed Rex for?

Jamarcus Russell's highlights from college looked great too. Though I will say this, John Beck is at the very least, coachable. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people, since most don't think he can play at all. I don't know if he's a starting QB...but he's not going to be horrible.

Not a fair comparison. Jamarcus got his paycheck then quit on football. He was a lazy bum.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 06:36 PM ----------

:gang:

Watch the youtube highlights of him as a dolphin. Checkdown, Bubble Screen, Check down, slant, etc. Can't live completely off of that. Torain/Royster/Helu/Hightower have to provide an unbelievebly explosive running game to help Beck look studly in the NFL.

4 starts, 5 Games played - 1 touchdown. Never more than 177 yards in a game. He needs to show me something huge!!!!

Judging him on his rookie year on a really bad team makes perfect sense to me.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 06:40 PM ----------

Beck has a noodle arm. Welcome back to Danny Woeful part deux.

You obviously haven't seen those college highlights. He actually has a pretty live arm.

Archived