Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I did not know a lot about John Beck until I saw this.

gobigred

People are hoping for waayyy too much out of this man based on a bunch of Youtube clips from his college days.

Plenty of QBs look great in college and just can't make that step up to the pros. The examples are obvious, so I'm not going to list them. i wouldn't rely on any of these clips to tell you what to expect from beck IF he becomes our starter.

If he starts then I'd hope for nothing more than a competent game manager, but however badly Rex may stink it up, I still don't see him losing the job to the likes of Beck.

Its not exactly JUST youtube clips. Its also that a guy who has coached John Elway to two superbowl wins back to back is willing to trade for him, extend him, pass on Gabbert and every other QB prospect in the draft and go to war with the kid with his job, ego and reputation on the line. I love how Shannahan has gone from hall of fame coach to bumbling moron in this forum in a matter of like 16 months. Its absurd. Its the same coach who last time he went 6-10 went 11-5 the following year and a wildcard birth. The lowest the guy's teams have EVER ranked in rushing prior to joining the skins is 12th and the running backs could have been ANYONE. (Reuben Drohns anyone?) Multiple times following statistically poor years in denver he repeatedly rebounded the next year. Its not a youtube video. Its the fact that the guy has an ego and a plan. He has a pedigree and scary football knowledge and HE chose John Beck. That has to be worth something.

Shanahan on NFL Network talking about starting QB, "I've never mentioned a starter. I've never even insinuated a starter".

The Beck era was fun while it lasted.

What question did Breer ask him to prompt this response?

answer:[..Is John Beck still going to be the starter going forward?]

Mike/Kyle/Beck have never said anything more then there will be an open competition.

The local media created the whole 'Beck proclaims himself the starter' riff that the media at large picked up on, you know the viral cycle of modern sports media.

Here's the whole vid: no commentary no spin:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/09000d5d8212eb40/QB-competition-on-capitol-hill

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 09:41 PM ----------

“I think first of all John throws the ball very well,” Theismann told Dave Ross. “He has a quick release. Gets the ball down the field. Doesn’t have an overpowering arm, but good enough to get it as far as you’re gonna need it to be able to play at this level. The whole thing with John’s just gonna be experience. How experienced is he gonna be as time goes on?...But I like what John’s done. Mike Shanahan sure likes him.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/theismann-reviews-john-becks-early-practices/2011/08/02/gIQAYXAipI_blog.html?wprss=dc-sports-bog

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/sports/red_zone/joe-theismann-takes-in-redskins-training-camp-080111

If Beck was going to be the starter for any other team than the Redskins, the media would be all behind him and glowing on his abilities and potential. There seems to be a mandate that the media hate on any move made by the Redskins. Some of the same media dolts that loved Beck coming out of college are now saying the Skins have the worst QB situation in the NFL. I'll take our QB's over Cleveland's, Seattle's, Carolina's, Cincinnati's, Buffalo's, Oakland's, Miami's and San Fran's. I know that's not saying much, but we're definitely not the worst.

Thanks for this thread. I enjoyed the video a lot. Im gonna support Beck until he gives me reason not to.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 10:50 PM ----------

If Beck was going to be the starter for any other team than the Redskins, the media would be all behind him and glowing on his abilities and potential. There seems to be a mandate that the media hate on any move made by the Redskins. Some of the same media dolts that loved Beck coming out of college are now saying the Skins have the worst QB situation in the NFL. I'll take our QB's over Cleveland's, Seattle's, Carolina's, Cincinnati's, Buffalo's, Oakland's, Miami's and San Fran's. I know that's not saying much, but we're definitely not the worst.

I agree with this...

Its not exactly JUST youtube clips. Its also that a guy who has coached John Elway to two superbowl wins back to back is willing to trade for him, extend him, pass on Gabbert and every other QB prospect in the draft and go to war with the kid with his job, ego and reputation on the line. I love how Shannahan has gone from hall of fame coach to bumbling moron in this forum in a matter of like 16 months. Its absurd. Its the same coach who last time he went 6-10 went 11-5 the following year and a wildcard birth. The lowest the guy's teams have EVER ranked in rushing prior to joining the skins is 12th and the running backs could have been ANYONE. (Reuben Drohns anyone?) Multiple times following statistically poor years in denver he repeatedly rebounded the next year. Its not a youtube video. Its the fact that the guy has an ego and a plan. He has a pedigree and scary football knowledge and HE chose John Beck. That has to be worth something.

All Beck is right now is an unknown quantity, approaching 30 and with a less than pedestrian pro career behind him. Personally, I'd hesitate to build him up in to anything more than that, or expect any miraculous transformation to take place this season.

I agree and I'll add to that list - Chicago, Kansas City, and OF COURSE - MINNESOTA :D

Shanahan on NFL Network talking about starting QB, "I've never mentioned a starter. I've never even insinuated a starter".

The Beck era was fun while it lasted.

Don't know how that statement brings you to the conclusion that "Beck has ZERO chance at starting".

A lot of scouts really like Beck out of college. No question about it. And it must be considered that he was thrust into starting as a rookie for one of the worst teams of the decade. He has some skills. Accurate short to intermediate passing, sneaky athleticism, good character. But at this point in his career, is he playing with confidence? Sure doesn't seem that way according to people observing practice.

Thanks for posting the utube video on Beck's draft day with ESPN. I really think Beck will need good protection from the offensive line. If Beck has

to run for his life on most passing plays then it will be hard for him to be successful. I still remember JC running around for his life. He could throw

the long ball but he could rarely hit the receiver in stride. But also JC was a terrible short passer. He had no touch on his short passes. He would

throw it on a line so super fast that the receivers often dropped the passes. Beck could be much better rolling out than JC and his short passes

may be more effective. If defenses find out he is having trouble with the long passes then they will have their defensive backs play closer to the line

of scrimmage. I think Beck could be in for a rough ride unless his teammates really contribute on offense and help him out. There is no Clinton Portis

there to help block for him too. I liked what Jaws said about Beck. I think Steve Young was biased because he played at BYU.

I been looking over last years pre-season games and the guy is reallly not that bad. I'm not saying he is what we need but I do think he can manage the games. I notice that he gets the ball out of his hands really fast but his long throws are suspect. I say lets see what he do in this years pre-season. He has been out there with Drew in the offseason, lets see if he pick up anything that will help us this year. We need a lot of help this year in the NFC East.

All Beck is right now is an unknown quantity, approaching 30 and with a less than pedestrian pro career behind him. Personally, I'd hesitate to build him up in to anything more than that, or expect any miraculous transformation to take place this season.

He's not "unknown" to Shanahan. He brought him here. He scouted him in the draft while in Denver. He resigned him. He is having him compete for the starting job with his rep on the line. I get he is unknown to you. Shanny must see something we don't.

I'm looking forward to the QB competition this year. Who knows, it might be all we have to look forward to. Seriously though, based on what I saw in the youtube highlights (granted they were college and years ago), I like what I saw about his field vision and being able to anticipate throws. I was a JC guy but as strong and athletic as he is, he couldn't see the field or make the touch throws very well. If Beck can get comfortable when the bullets are flying, it could be fun to watch our 'Skins again (like the good ol' days).

Hail!

How about that loser, Kurt Warner ?

Why did anyone give that worthless grocery bagger a 2nd look ?

Don't know why anyone believed the hype, and promoted him from Bag Boy.

They should have left him there, just like we should have left Beck out to sea.

What about the guy who works at my local hardware store? He can play some QB. Why haven't the Redskins given him a shot?

He could be the next Kurt Warner.

Personally, I think the Redskins should give everyone who has ever played QB a shot, because, well,"you never know, they could be the next Kurt Warner."

When your main argument is that he "could be good, you never know," or that MS once pursued Tony Romo sits to pee too, and never anything that actually references his actual skills, that says a lot, a helluva whole lot.

Romo sits to pee wasnt that special either until given a chance to play a bit... Lets give the kid a try, I am not getting my hopes up but you never know how it all will play out. We ll either suck and go 2-14 and get our QB in the draft or this kid could suprise all of us.

Not to mention Tom Brady

What about the guy who works at my local hardware store? He can play some QB. Why haven't the Redskins given him a shot?

He could be the next Kurt Warner.

Personally, I think the Redskins should give everyone who has ever played QB a shot, because, well,"you never know, they could be the next Kurt Warner."

When your main argument is that he "could be good, you never know," or that MS once pursued Tony Romo sits to pee too, and never anything that actually references his actual skills, that says a lot, a helluva whole lot.

And your argument AGAINST him being good is far more shallow than the arguments FOR him being good.

The case of Warner is an interesting comparison, but Warner had already shown some glimpse of what he was capable of in Arena Football and NFL Europe. Ok, it's not the NFL I know, but there was evidence of recent form and ability in a competitive environment there. There's no similar evidence of form or ability with Beck. Like I've always said, all he is right now is an unknown quantity. College clips from way back when tell us nothing about him now in the NFL after a less than mediocre career.

Now, I'm not saying Beck won't be the next Kurt Warner, but I think we'd be wise to temper our expectations and not expect him to be. Lightning rarely strikes twice. If he wins the starting job (which I doubt) and plays like Warner, then great, huge surprise and a fantastic feather in Shanny's cap and we can build around him. If he stinks, well, no big surprise there, he's been pedestrian for his entire pro career, what did we expect? QB was clearly always going to be a weakness this year. No-one is screaming for his head on a plate or for another coaching change. Who knows, if he wins the job, he may just be a mediocre stop-gap, not great, perhaps not even good, but not terrible either.

Until we know the outcome of the QB competition and who will be starting, and see how they (and the team) perform, then I think we'd do well to temper our expectations. Yes, support the guy if he wins the job, but don't expect him to be another Kurt Warner.

Thanks for posting the clip. Listening to several fans here at Extreme Skins I did not have much faith that he might be really good. After seeing that clip I say he just might be a good QB. I'm hopeful that he will make a lot more good plays than bad ones and we will be winners.

I think that too many fans put too much emphasis on the QB position. I think with a good OL together with some talented receivers any good QB can result in a winning team.

If he were special we'd already know it... and he'd still be a Dolphin. I'll be happy to be wrong about this, but he's not special.

First of all, he really has not been given the opportunity that he has now. He was never in a position to compete for a starting job. What that means is that he doesn't get reps with the first string WR's and TE's. Understand?

So, his drafting coach gets fired by the Tuna when he got to Miami. He is the third stringer and never gets any reps until week 9 and the Dolphins are already 0-8. Finally get's some reps and starts the last 5 games in a 1-15 season where the Dolphins were terrible. Beck's time in Miami is not comparing apples to apples with any scenario. Cam Cameron got fired and Beck went back to 3rd string backup for a year and then was traded back to Cam Cameron as the Offensive Coordinator for the Ravens. There he was relegated to the backup role and didn't play. Last year he was the #3 guy again.

How can anyone say that he's played like crap? He hasn't been given a fair chance. Rex got a fair shot and that's all they both want. No real reason to get sky high about Rex. He's going to throw a TD then an INT at a 1:1 ratio. You have to give Beck a shot.

He can make the short game work pretty well. If he get's some touch on the ball and can create a deep threat, then the skies the limit. Give the kid a shot already!

Archived