Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All you can eat crabs or jumbo crabs?

shuler74

Pier with chicken legs

if the water is calm and the tide is changing you should be good. i prefer the cloth nets to the metal ones cuz they are quicker through the water.

we do this near solomons sometimes. put out like 8 or 9 lines on the pier. caught 60 in a day once.

Nah, it's not that bad at all as far as crime is concerned, though there are a lot of wannabe thugs living in the suburbs here that probably wish that it was Southeast. :ols:

My issue is the location itself. It so damn far away from everything that it takes about half of my gas tank to get to wherever I want to go. :ols:

Not a issue for me...Accokeek is 1 mile from me, I am on the western side of town where it is nice and quiet! Only takes me 20 minutes to get to NOVA (if I don't hit any lights on 210/Indian Head Highway lol..I can get to Edsall Road and 395 in about 30 minutes usually)

We have a farm store nearby that brings in live Maryland Crabs. 8.99 a dozen for the small ones and 2.99 a pound for the jumbos. Two weeks ago they had run out of the Jumbos so I had to settle for the smaller ones. My wife had her heart set on crabs. They were almost like oversized spiders. I bought her a dozen, but I didn't eat any of them. Too much effort for too little meat.

Then last week I went back, and they had the Jumbos. SWEET!!.. I bought 8 of them at a cost of roughly 14.00 and feasted to my heart's content. No question, I will never buy the small ones again.

The size of the crab never dictates the amount of meat in the crab.

Been eating crabs my whole life. I have had small crabs that have more meat than jumbos. Depending on where you get your crabs, you get jumbos that are almost empty.

Judge crabs by their weight.

My buddy who crabs every weekend always brings us the heaviest crabs, not based on size. The light crabs he sells to restaurants. Many times places around here get the junk of the lot.

Best kind are ones you catch yourself! I worry about whether any of the ones they're cooking being dead before they throw it in the steamer. I've gotten sick before and don't relish having that experience again.

Went to Solmons Pier last week for some beers with the wife. I think Jumbo's were like $65/dozen! phew! Whatever happened to #1s, 2s, etc?

Anything bigger than 5.75" and decent weight when you hold it is good. I personally don't eat crabs to get full, rather for the summertime experience of sitting outside with friends/family, a few beers and some other food (rockfish, etc.).

Archived