Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

a minor league for football

Reaper 21

They already have a minor league system, its called the NCAA.

Where would these minor league teams play? College and NFL teams don't want to share their stadiums.

Obviously setting up a minor league system would probably take a few years, but the minor league would be "part of" the NFL, so maybe they do play on the same field, but maybe they only play games every other weekend with a 8 game schedule and they play at home on Saturdays when the Redskins are away... allows the field to not be totally screwed up... if that's not an option, then build a small stadium or lease one from a university... i don't have it all figured out or anything, but i'm sure they could figure out place to play.

99% of the NFL talent comes from college. If a healthy player isn't producing by the age of 22 in the NCAA, it's highly unlikely he'll grow into a quality player by the age of 25 at the next level. That's how baseball differs from football. Guys have more time and longer careers to reach potential.

I like the idea but the UFL isn´t making any money or popular...and they use the players that probally would play for a minor team. How does that work in MLB and NBA? Are there fans or is it just a investment by the teams so they can develop talent. You are talking about two stadiums/playing fields and over 100 players who would have a contract, can they pay that?

Minor league baseball has a decent number of fans who live in the area and want to go to a game cheap. They do a lot more promotional type things and it is more of a family atmosphere. A lot of people go to game who are a fan of the major league team so that they can watch the prospects that could make it to the majors. The stadiums aren't near the quality of pro stadiums. It takes longer to develop in baseball but there are also 6 levels that some players have to go through if they start in the rookie league.

99% of the NFL talent comes from college. If a healthy player isn't producing by the age of 22 in the NCAA, it's highly unlikely he'll grow into a quality player by the age of 25 at the next level. That's how baseball differs from football. Guys have more time and longer careers to reach potential.

No doubt that an NFL minor league system wouldn't have more turn over than MLB, becuase you are right, baseball players do have longer careers. The NFL minor league roster would turnover 10x faster than baseball minor leagues, but if you can give an NFL team an extra 30 players to teach and try to develop, even if it's for 2 or 3 years per player, I gaurantee you'll develop and find more talent. If an NFL team doesn't see what they want out of a 25 year old minor leaguer after 3 years than they'll cut them and bring in some young 21/22 year olds out of college.. it would be a constant carousel, but it would still work and dot he job that it is designed for, which is finding and developing talent and teaching the philosphies of their organization.

but if you can give an NFL team an extra 30 players to teach and try to develop.

We already have the top 224 college players drafted into the NFL each year. Less than 200 of those guys will make NFL rosters in their first year. Maybe a half dozen of those August cuts each year will fight their way back into the league at a later time.

In theory, an additional 1600+ players would be needed for every NFL franchise to field a minor league team. Realistically, you need 52 men to make a team. I wouldn't want my linemen and D backs, receivers, linebackers, playing on both sides of the ball the way a team does in high school.

Of those 1600 men in the developmentel who weren't drafted, maybe a dozen a year will make it up to the NFL eventually, and that's being generous.

Not nearly worth the co$t IMO.

We already have the top 224 college players drafted into the NFL each year. Less than 200 of those guys will make NFL rosters in their first year. Maybe a half dozen of those August cuts each year will fight their way back into the league at a later time.

In theory, an additional 1600+ players would be needed for every NFL franchise to field a minor league team. Realistically, you need 52 men to make a team. I wouldn't want my linemen and D backs, receivers, linebackers, playing on both sides of the ball the way a team does in high school.

Of those 1600 men in the developmentel who weren't drafted, maybe a dozen a year will make it up to the NFL eventually, and that's being generous.

Not nearly worth the co$t IMO.

Not sure you'd need such a full roster... I'd say at the most you need a starter and a back up at each position, so that gives you about 44... That would be plenty. You already have about 8 on your practice squad, so now you're looking for 36 more players per team... I'd even go as far as reducing an NFL roster size, now that you've got an entire minor league team to use as replacement... No NFL team needs 3 QB's anymore... Take 2 to each game and have the 3rd string as your starter in the minors... Imagine if we had actually seen Beck play a full season in the minors last year... same could go with other positions...

Anyway, I really don't think we'd have trouble finding the talent to fill these teams... yes, not all would make the NFL team, but that's how it goes in any sport. We're going to be taking 90 players to training camp, presumably... that's 90 players that coaches feel might have a shot at making the roster... If coaches/teams are willing to take them to training camp, they'd be willing to put most of them on their minor league roster.

Also, imagine if we had a back up kicker that was nuttin them all day in the minors... do you think we would have hesitated to replace Gano last year or for the upcoming year? The minors would just be a good place to be able to keep viewing talent that might help your ball club. Bottom line.

Given the fact that at best you would improve the NFL on a very small margin (and even that is debatable) and the bottom line would almost certainly be negatively effected, you have multiple development leagues (albeit limited because you don't assign players to them that you can then move up or down as needed) and the small window that most potential players have to be effective, why would the NFL do such a thing?

let me tell you who would rock the minor league.

Mike Shannahan he would have gems all over the place because thats the way he works. I would have loved to go watch John Beck Throw to terrence Austin all last year and see if Capers could actually block other than the 30 second highlite on youtube.

I would pay 25 bucks to go watch a game at RFK or even Fedex to see our B team play others much more than the NBA D league or MLB because the talent level is so signifigant, where in the NFL alot of players get missed due to system.

Also would have love to see a young coach down there make a name for himself, for example what if Kyle won 3 championships (extreme homersim I know) at the minor league before he was promoted to the Big leagues, wouldnt we all trust him more.

nfl europe

Also, check out the Atlantic Coast Football League...they were done in by the WFL rather than any financial problems of their own.

The Redskins had a team in Roanoke called the Buckskins. The Saints had a team in Richmond called the Richmond Saints. Their coach was JD Roberts. I went to elementary school with his son and JD Roberts was later hired to coach the New Orleans Saints (even though the Richmond team was really bad). Probably the most famous team was the Pottstown Firebirds who were affiliated with the Eagles. NFL Films made a documentary on the Firebirds called the "Forgetables". It is a part of the Lost Treasures of NFL Films. I saw it and they showed some of a game they played against the BuckSkins. The uniforms looked very similar to their NFL counterparts. If you did not know what you were watching, you would have thought it was the Skins vs. the Eagles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Football_League

I know Ted Vactor played for the VA Sailors (it is mentioned on the back of one of his football cards). I met him at the AAA TGC and asked him where the Sailors had played and he said he thought it was Herndon.

http://web.archive.org/web/20081206051635/http://www.pottstownfirebirds.com/ACFL%20football/Atlantic%20Coast%20Football/Franchises.htm

I think it could work if done right.

You have 8 divisions in the NFL, so you would set up a MINOR LEAGUE of 8 teams with one team assigned to each division.

National Football Minor Leauge East

Orlando- NFC South

Milwaukee - NFC North

Hartford- AFC East

Toronto- NFC East

National Football Minor Leauge West

Portland- NFC West

San Antonio- AFC West

Columbus- AFC North

Memphis- AFC South

You would play a 10 game season. 6 Division games and 4 games against the other division. Top 4 make playoffs.

You would start the season at the end of September with the season going until the beginning of December and then 2 weeks of playoffs.

Training camp would start at the end of August and rosters will be made of free agents, castoffs and players each nfl team designates to this fall league.

Think of instead of having playings put on a practice squad, they would instead play in this league. Once each team season is over, those players will

be available to be called up for the remaining games in the NFL season.

Games would be broadcoast on the NFL network.

Games would be played on Tuesday nights.

Archived