Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

a minor league for football

Reaper 21

I'd love to see it. I never thought of it being played during the NFL season before though. It's an interesting idea to be able to send people up or down during the course of the season. I agree with the writer, if these clubs are run by the big clubs, then there would be an audience for this league on television.

The ufl woulda/coulda/shoulda been this vehicle, if they hadn't put all their eggs into the basket of playing in the fall during a lost NFL season. It coulda worked out great. If players from the XFL could find their way to the NFL, I'm sure the ufl could have created a full on farm system eventually.

I think it would be a great idea. I'd love to watch our minor league play on friday night or saturdays then watch the skins on sunday.

Agree, A minor league would be brilliant... Being able to move players up and down would only enhance the NFL

With 90 able to come to training camp, you've got your second team right there.. Great way for injured players to rehab as well.. much better to try them out in the minors before coming back to a game that actually matters...

In theory, a true minor league would be really cool. You could have a "B team" that is governed by the organization so that philosophies and continuity can take hold...just like in baseball. That way, if you needed to call up a WR or ILB on game day from your minor league team, he would know the system and be prepared. In that past, it seems that teams loosely owned the rights to players, but they would play on an independent team which, to me, limits many of the advantages. Sure, each NFL team still has a pool of players it can choose from, but it's not the same.

Now, I realize that for my idea to take hold you would essentially need to double the current NFL so that each team's affiliate could run practices, play games, etc. I guess the rosters could be a little smaller, but you'd still need at least 25 players per team. They could play their games in current NFL stadiums, so that shouldn't cause too much of an issue from a scheduling perspective. Still, I'm sure there are plenty of reasons this hasn't been done, but I do believe that's the only way a minor league would work long-term. Otherwise, with teams sharing players who belong to other teams, you can never really control the playing time or experience your players are getting. You also can't allow the minor league players to learn the system you're implementing at the "big league" level.

While it would be nice to have, it would take a whole lot to set it up. The player movement would be a lot more tricky than just bouncing players between leagues. Baseball has a lot of rules when it comes to moves and Football would probably be no different. Also, do you want your future franchise QB working in the minors or do you want him working with the big club? Also, there is a lot of value in having a practice squad. Also, there would have to be new ways to deal with contracts(minor league vs NFL).

no, youre thinking of the nhl and i think they call it "hockey".

So what you are saying is that the NFL has not tried a minor league system that mirrors MLB or NHL... they tried NFL Europe, which had what.. 6 teams? so don't tell me they tried it and failed.. maybe the way they set it up was the failure... the idea is great and if put together correctly would flourish...

So what you are saying is that the NFL has not tried a minor league system that mirrors MLB or NHL... they tried NFL Europe, which had what.. 6 teams? so don't tell me they tried it and failed.. maybe the way they set it up was the failure... the idea is great and if put together correctly would flourish...

what i said was the nfl had their minor league and it failed. probably because it was in europe. the nfl would not make a dime off of a 32 team farm club system so it isnt going to happen.

so in NFL Europe, each team had a minor league program that was run by that team? and had players to swap back and forth as needed?

No, each team had players they had rights to, but none of the NFL Franchises ran a whole team in that league. If you try and find some pictures, you will see different teams emblems on the jerseys of different players, even on the same team

Like this one, one player has the Jags emblem, the other has the Texans

http://a.espncdn.com/media/nfl/2005/0609/photo/g_ragone_195.jpg

As much as we clamor for pro football in this country, the market has proven time and again that we don't want more of it.

There have been several attempts at minor league football over the decades, and it just doesn't work. See the XFL in the 2000s, the USFL in the 80s, and WFL in the 70s, meanwhile the arena league has been on life support in recent years.

The NFL has seen all of these failed attempts and decided that they don't need to go there. Less is more.

Football costs a lot more to run than baseball, there are a lot more people to pay.

No, each team had players they had rights to, but none of the NFL Franchises ran a whole team in that league. If you try and find some pictures, you will see different teams emblems on the jerseys of different players, even on the same team

I guess that was my point in the beginning. NFL Europe wasn't a true minor league system like what MLB/NHL have. It may have had some of the same principles, but the way it was set up and where it was being played almost certainly set it up for failure. The NFL would be enhanced if it were to bring a minor league system here and keep it in the U.S. If each team was owned and managed by their parent organization, I could see that succeeding and help grow the NFL. I don't know if the NFL would make money on it or not, but I doubt they'd lose anything. At the very least, it supplies new jobs and creates deeper organizations that can provide better football. My opinion anyway..

As much as we clamor for pro football in this country, the market has proven time and again that we don't want more of it.

There have been several attempts at minor league football over the decades, and it just doesn't work. See the XFL in the 2000s, the USFL in the 80s, and WFL in the 70s, meanwhile the arena league has been on life support in recent years.

The NFL has seen all of these failed attempts and decided that they don't need to go there. Less is more.

Football costs a lot more to run than baseball, there are a lot more people to pay.

I don't know much about those other leagues (XFL, USFL or WFL), but were they set up in any way like a farm system? I could understand why "other" football leagues would fail going up against the NFL, but I don't see a true minor league system failing, not when they're working together. You don't have to pay minor league players much... I'm sure many UDFA coming out of college would take the opportunity to play on a minor league NFL team with an opportunity to show their talent and make it to the big stage even if they were only getting paid $25k/year...

Baseballs minor league farm systems probably have close to 30 players per team... with probably 5 teams... pretty sure baseball has many more people to pay.

As a persone who went to the NFL Europe games I can say that it was impossible to earn any money with that. No fans.

The only reason why the games in London are sold out is because all European fans then buy a ticket and take a trip to London. That works for one game but not for a hole season spread over different city´s.

I like the idea but the UFL isn´t making any money or popular...and they use the players that probally would play for a minor team. How does that work in MLB and NBA? Are there fans or is it just a investment by the teams so they can develop talent. You are talking about two stadiums/playing fields and over 100 players who would have a contract, can they pay that?

Archived