Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Theoretical Top 100 players question.

Houston2Taylor2Landry

Okay.This isn't a thread about his death or a tribute to him. But, all bias aside, where would Sean Taylor be on the list?

I'm saying he would have been in the top 40. Adrian Wilson, Nick Collins, Eric Berry, Ed Reed, and Troy P were the safeties on the list. And Sean was/would still be better than Collins and Wilson and Eric Berry is OVERRATED.

So....Where would he be ranked?

ST21 would have definitely made the list and brought LL30 with him. He would be in his prime right now and be ahead of Redd and Palamalu. But this is a Dan Snyder organization that has no control over its team so no one makes it from the Redskins.

Had ST not improved at all from what we saw in his first several seasons he'd still be a lock for the top 25. There's a very real chance that he could have bested Reed.

So you're saying he would have been 5. Ed Reed was the highest safety on the list and he was 5th. Although I believe that Troy P is MUCH better than Reed. But you could very well be right.

I don't think it's possible to make a strong case that Polamalu is somehow significantly better than Reed. Best case scenario, Polamalu edges Reed out in a close one. It seems to me that many of the people who tend to side strongly with #43 are somewhat misinformed or have personal bias, though. We actually had a thread about that a little while back if you're interested...

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?347104-Reed-vs-Polamalu

Knowing how insane the voting for the actual top 100 is, even if he was still playing at a Pro Bowl level, I think they'd probably place him in the 40's or 20's. I'd think he deserved to be ranked higher, but thhe players are...weird. (VONTA LEACH AND NO ELI OR MATT SCHAUB, COME ON!)

Had ST not improved at all from what we saw in his first several seasons he'd still be a lock for the top 25. There's a very real chance that he could have bested Reed.

I don't think it's possible to make a strong case that Polamalu is somehow significantly better than Reed. Best case scenario, Polamalu edges Reed out in a close one. It seems to me that many of the people who tend to side strongly with #43 are somewhat misinformed or have personal bias, though. We actually had a thread about that a little while back if you're interested...

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?347104-Reed-vs-Polamalu

I watch probably every Steeler game and 10 to 12 Ravens games a year. I compare them like this. Ed Reed is Desean Jackson and Troy P is Andre Johnson. Ed Reed will do ZIP all game and come up with an Interception/Jax does nothing but catch a longball. Troy is in on nearly every play and makes the NICEST ints in the league/ Andre does everything. In my opinion, Troy P is the best player in the league. Imagine LaRon last year, but with 5+ INTS.

ST played behind a generally weak pass-rushing front seven. With pressure up front, his 12 pick total would have been a lot higher. I truly believe he would have been the BEST. He shoulfd have been to the Pro Bowl the year before, but they gave the nod to the slow footed safety from Dallas.

Realistically he would probably be the #3 safety in the league. Ed Reed had a better half season than Sean ever had a full season and he has a more complete body of work to fall on historically. If we're going by these rankings and noting that Ray Lewis ranked in the top 5 due to his career, rather than his 2010 season it is obvious Sean would not have been ranked as highly as Troy or Ed. Polomalu is going to get the nod due to his impact on his team, as well as the fact that he plays a different safety position. Ed Reed is just a better player than Sean ever was so he is not only going to beat him out on the fact that his 2010 season was unreal, but he career is HOF worthy. Sean was potential with a tease of production. Ed Reed is pure production.

3rd best safety in the game even today IMO based on what he was doing from his rookie year to the year he passed. Ed, Troy, then Sean. I think he'd have been a HOF safety, barring injury of course. He was that gifted and I don't give a shyt who says, "We'll never know..." or "You can't predict..." .When he came out of college, Sean was built like a bone-crushing linebacker but with DB speed and great ball skills. The angles he took were Polamaluesque. The hits were like Ray Lew' in his prime. The ball skills rival Ed Reed's especially in Taylor's last year in the NFL.

Everyone knew he was something special coming out of the U. He was the best safety in the NFC IMO from his rookie year to his last game in Green Bay. Look at the way he hit people his first three years in the league. Wow! He was a human highlight reel.

Then, in '07 he transformed his body, focused more on being the best at his position, and started to look more like Ed on the field---quicker, faster, and built to compliment #30's skills. Look at Taylor's INT stats that year and to think he only played a handful of games, not to mention he made the Pro Bowl posthumously. Don't fool yourself into thinking that was a pity ballot. No F'in Way!

Taylor was becoming something special in '07 and he recognized that he needed to be a better man on and off the field. The off-the-field tranformation is well documented by many who were close to him. The on-the-field transformation in '07, as great as he already was becoming, can be found here:

Taylor wanted to be great, a HOF guy, and there's no doubt in my mind that he'd be top 20 (easily) on this Top 100 list.

Sean was always " our guy". I say top 20 . Top 3 under tp and er, he is more athletically talented, but lesss post season visits will remain a factor. Goddamn I miss that guy. Whatwouldabeen????

Hail

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 02:10 AM ----------

I'm being negative by stating the truth? That's a new one.

Yes you were, and you knew what you were doing. Seeking attention, tell your mama to turn off the tv and read you a bedtime story son

Yes you were, and you knew what you were doing. Seeking attention, tell your mama to turn off the tv and read you a bedtime story son

Wasn't my intention, he just wouldn't be rated on the 2011 list. 2007 absolutely, but who knows where, Top 30 possibly? Not really sure.

So you're saying he would have been 5. Ed Reed was the highest safety on the list and he was 5th. Although I believe that Troy P is MUCH better than Reed. But you could very well be right.

I know that below you say that you watch all of the Steeler games and 10-12 Ravens games per year, but I don't see how a person could say, with a straight face, that Polamalu is MUCH better than Reed.

The only safety in the past 20 years who is even in Reed's LEAGUE is Sean. Polamalu plays a completely different position, and I would not be surprised to have a legitimate argument for Landry being on his level this year or the next.

Eric Berry, though, could really be something. I'm glad that we're not in the AFC.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 05:22 AM ----------

Wasn't my intention, he just wouldn't be rated on the 2011 list. 2007 absolutely, but who knows where, Top 30 possibly? Not really sure.

Bull****. Stop being a jackoff; you knew exactly what you were doing and you got called on it. The only thing worse than someone who makes a cowardly drive-by comment is someone who can't own up to what he said.

@NewCliche21

I'm telling you Cliche. NO PLAYER in the league can compare. Imagine Laron last year through 9 games and then add this in....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlFqdjYqu4&feature=related

And even when I think about I realize that they play different positions so it makes no sense to compare but over the past 3 years Ed Reed has played in 38 games. He has 128 tackles, 20 ints, and 3 TD's. Over the same amount of time, Polamalu has played in 35 games. He has 156 tackles, 17 ints, and 1 TD. And Polamalu makes BIG tackles and plays, not just INTS and fumble recoveries.

Eric Berry WILL be good. But last year,he was overrated. He was bad in coverage,,really bad. He just played really well in the playoff game and everyone decided to remember him :ols:

The only safety in the past 20 years who is even in Reed's LEAGUE is Sean. Polamalu plays a completely different position, and I would not be surprised to have a legitimate argument for Landry being on his level this year or the next.

I can't even agree with that. Sean was a more complete safety than Reed, but he couldn't compete with Reed's MVP season...and nothing he ever did indicated he had the return skills of Reed. He was like a punt returner when he got INTs. His ability to track the ball in the air, then take it to the house is what makes him a HOF lock.

To answer the question, I think ST would've been top 50, assuming we didn't run that idiotic 'angel in the outfield' defense with him 20-25 yards off of the ball. Neither Polamalu or Reed ever had to deal with that stupidity. QBs have to account for them before they threw the ball. In '07, QBs knew that the only real chance they had of encountering #21 was on the long ball. If Favre wasn't so arrogant, I think more people would be questioning the wisdom of marginalizing your best defensive player. When you look at ST's career highlights, you'll notice that 99% of the plays not involving interceptions were not from '07.

Sean was the hardest hitter in the league. Period. Not hardest hitting Safety, hardest hitting player. Add to that his ball skills and he was the best safety in the league. He could cover everyone one on one. With him and Landry, we would have been the only team in the league who could put both safeties on the field on goal line and short yardage situations, and not be laughed at. Both could play in the box and could hit like a Mack truck.

Easily top ten.

Archived