Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Jury has reached a verdict in Casey Anthony trial [NOT GUILTY]

Toe Jam

the standard of proof is based on a fundamental premise: it is better to let a guilty man go free than to imprison an innocent person

Absolutely true. And still, there is no question we get it wrong and imprison innocent people everyday.

Its sad that this case has generated 1000 times the uproar of every single case in which an innocent person has done jail time for as much as 30 years. I'm sure everyone was just as upset about that. google the innocence project, if you haven't heard of it.

Provide one or two please. (Without using Los Angeles. Los Angeles has been a mess for thirty years).

It was a poor attempt to show how my ideas are similar to the jury thinking that circumstantial evidence wasnt good enough.

I honestly dont follow stuff like this at all. But this was close to home, so it intrigued me.

It was a poor attempt to show how my ideas are similar to the jury thinking that circumstantial evidence wasnt good enough.

I honestly dont follow stuff like this at all. But this was close to home, so it intrigued me.

So...you are just making a determination that we need fundamental changes in the justice system based on one case that interested you because it happened up the road.

Really? Other than the unsubtaniated claims of the defense, what evidence points at other people?

But was the prosecution able to prove that their claims weren't true? The burden of proof falls to the state, if it's reasonably possible to concieve that her claims might be plausible then that's it. State has to prove they aren't.

the standard of proof is based on a fundamental premise: it is better to let a guilty man go free than to imprison an innocent person

Exactly. Regardless of your feelings it still has to proven what and how she did.

Absolutely true. And still, there is no question we get it wrong and imprison innocent people everyday.

Its sad that this case has generated 1000 times the uproar of every single case in which an innocent person has done jail time for as much as 30 years. I'm sure everyone was just as upset about that. google the innocence project, if you haven't heard of it.

Amen.

Hey, your comments have pretty much been out of line and offensive for all 29 pages of this thread. So, just stop responding, at least to me.

Bull**** Out of line and angry are two different things my friend. You said you think she was abducted. I'm saying would you sit back and wait a month to report it if your daughter was kidnapped? The girl vanished for a month!!! What parent would ignore that?! If you take a step back for second you will see what I'm saying. It makes no sense. I think everyone damn one of us on here would be on the phone if our 2yr old kid vanished for a couple of hours let alone a month!!

There was HUGE interest in Innocent Project here this spring when Derrick Williams was freed.

I wonder how much affect the thought of Casey getting the Death Penalty played on the jurors minds? I wonder if they would have been more likely to convict if Life was the worst thing that could have happened.

---------- Post added July-6th-2011 at 12:02 PM ----------

So...you are just making a determination that we need fundamental changes in the justice system based on one case that interested you because it happened up the road.

Nope. That's a huge leap from what I am saying.

There was HUGE interest in Innocent Project here this spring when Derrick Williams was freed.

I wonder how much affect the thought of Casey getting the Death Penalty played on the jurors minds? I wonder if they would have been more likely to convict if Life was the worst thing that could have happened.

Or if the defendant in question was a sleazy looking man.

But was the prosecution able to prove that their claims weren't true? The burden of proof falls to the state, if it's reasonably possible to concieve that her claims might be plausible then that's it. State has to prove they aren't.

She did it. She was found not guilty in a court of law. I accept that. But she did it.

That's true. Some people do focus on that aspect of it. I just get a sense of real aggression from people who watched, or didn't watch, this case though. I could be wrong, but I think when people are freed from wrongful imprisonment there's more a feeling of relief and less a feeling of anger towards the system.

---------- Post added July-6th-2011 at 12:05 PM ----------

Bull**** Out of line and angry are two different things my friend. You said you think she was abducted. I'm saying would you sit back and wait a month to report it if your daughter was kidnapped? The girl vanished for a month!!! What parent would ignore that?! If you take a step back for second you will see what I'm saying. It makes no sense. I think everyone damn one of us on here would be on the phone if our 2yr old kid vanished for a couple of hours let alone a month!!

Less reading and more typing would be of benefit to you. And I'm done responding to your posts like this now.

That's a much bigger issue than just this one case. There are estimates that 1 in 4 woman in this country are sexually abused as children. About 90' date='000 children a year are a victime of neglect in this country. So...yea....the system is a failure here. The outcome of this case would not have changed that.

I guess my question is, why is everyone so enthralled with this one particular case? More importantly, why is everyone making these grand pronouncments off it?[/quote']

The statistic you reference above is not trivial but it's also not linked to this case. 3 to 4 million Dogs and Cats are put down in this country every year but that doesn't have anything to do with this case either. I agree with you that our System is a failure where this is concerned but in those cases you mention, unless those victims have also died, I don't see that it's the same. It's certainly a true statement you make but it's not the same. This little girl is dead and nobody likes to see children hurt. That's why this is a big deal. To those who say that it's important to make certain that the system protects the rights of those who are accused, well, why is it important that every single person's rights are protected? That's the same reason people are concerned with this little girls rights. The system was never designed to be about the system. The system was designed to protect the people and that little girl was not protected by the system.

She did it. She was found not guilty in a court of law. I accept that. But she did it.

I agree with you. I guess the difference for me vs many in this thread is that I'm ok with that because that's how our justice system works. Regardless of what you think you know, the state still has to prove it and they didn't. She'll get hers in due time, some way, some how.

That's true. Some people do focus on that aspect of it. I just get a sense of real aggression from people who watched, or didn't watch, this case though. I could be wrong, but I think when people are freed from wrongful imprisonment there's more a feeling of relief and less a feeling of anger towards the system.

---------- Post added July-6th-2011 at 12:05 PM ----------

Less reading and more typing would be of benefit to you. And I'm done responding to your posts like this now.

whatever. If you fail to think about how whacked that is that a parent would ignore their child being missing for a month there's nothing really to say. That fact alone says there's more going on than some want to think.

People are going to get away with crimes. That's the price of living in a free society.

The only time I get upset with that fact is when the prosecution is incompetent or the police work is shoddy. I really don't know much about this case, but it doesn't seem like they gathered all that much evidence. But no one has really been throwing around that accusation so I'm going to assume that the work by both the police and prosecution was acceptable. There's a good line in The Sopranos about how "trials are there to be won." Sometimes, the other team wins.

I get far more upset when the innocent are jailed, because generally the issue there is either an over-zealous prosecutor or a lack of money to mount a defense. It's a weird system in that we have a very high conviction rate because so many advantages lie with the state...until someone who can afford a defense is involved, in which case the state can find itself overmatched.

That's fine and we all understand that feeling but, jurors can't think about it that way. Regardless of anything else the state has to prove it's case. It's that way for a reason and personally, I beleive 110% in the concept that it's better for ten guilty people to go free than 1 innocent person go to jail. The system worked like it was supposed to, unfortunately in some cases you simply don't have the evidence to prove what happened and a guilty person goes free. It's a very necessary evil that comes with freedom, the presumption of innoncence and our way of life.

The hell they can't. This jury had latitude to convict on a lessor charge. They most certainly could have thought that way. As a father of four, I am here tell you that I would rather convict all 10 to protect the children.

I wonder how much affect the thought of Casey getting the Death Penalty played on the jurors minds? I wonder if they would have been more likely to convict if Life was the worst thing that could have happened

in death penalty cases jurors are questioned about that in the voir dire, if they indicate that possibility of death would make them biased they cant be jurors... this practice makes juries in death penalty cases more conservative/hard-line than non death penalty cases

The hell they can't. This jury had latitude to convict on a lessor charge. They most certainly could have thought that way. As a father of four, I am here tell you that I would rather convict all 10 to protect the children.

Convicting 10 innocent people won't protect the children. There would still be one dead child, and ten innocent people in jail.

All I can say is I'm sure as hell glad you have nothing to do with running our justice system. Even with all the protections in place innocent people go to jail all the time.

Why are so many of you so mad about this? Are you related to Caylee Anthony? Did you have money on the verdict? Do you have some missing piece of information that didn't come out? Are you, in fact, a time traveler who went back and watched the whole event play out.

Personally, I think some of the mob mentality with this thing is as bad as anything that's gone on. I don't think I need to be ridiculed for saying I don't know what happened but a lot of things could have happened. Especially, when I responded to the question "who do you think COULD have done it."

If this women had been convicted and put to death, would you feel as if it was a poor verdict and would you have felt as if this women did not receive justice? If the answer is no, then I understand your question. If the answer is yes, then you have answered your own question.

The statistic you reference above is not trivial but it's also not linked to this case. 3 to 4 million Dogs and Cats are put down in this country every year but that doesn't have anything to do with this case either. I agree with you that our System is a failure where this is concerned but in those cases you mention, unless those victims have also died, I don't see that it's the same. It's certainly a true statement you make but it's not the same. This little girl is dead and nobody likes to see children hurt. That's why this is a big deal. To those who say that it's important to make certain that the system protects the rights of those who are accused, well, why is it important that every single person's rights are protected? That's the same reason people are concerned with this little girls rights. The system was never designed to be about the system. The system was designed to protect the people and that little girl was not protected by the system.

My point is, generally speaking, we are really really really bad at protecting children in this country. Like worst in the industrialized world bad.

I'm less concerned that a mother didn't report a child missing for 31 days than the fact that a child could be missing for 31 days and no one but the mother would know.

From what I'm picking up on this thread, if someone had figured that part out a hell of a lot sooner than there may have been better evidence to either convict the mother or indict someone else.

And for the record, I don't think the judicial system is designed to "protect" a child. The judicial system is by necessity reactive. It's designed more to punish, avenge, and stop abuse than to protect anyone.

I also have no idea how to fix the problems we have regarding child abuse, neglect, endangerment, etc. that could be implemented without seriously infringing on individual rights.

whatever. If you fail to think about how whacked that is that a parent would ignore their child being missing for a month there's nothing really to say. That fact alone says there's more going on than some want to think.

nobody disputes this

All I can say is I'm sure as hell glad you have nothing to do with running our justice system. Even with all the protections in place innocent people go to jail all the time.

And Murders go free but that don't make it right.

I've heard your opinion. We disagree.

Convicting 10 innocent people won't protect the children. There would still be one dead child, and ten innocent people in jail.

You don't know that to be a fact. If we got tougher on childrens Laws, it may very well curtail this type of behavior. However, I'm for over protecting children and not looking past their rights because they happen to be children and because they happen to be dead.

---------- Post added July-6th-2011 at 10:20 AM ----------

Then you are advocating facism.

Call it what you like. From where I am sitting, I am advocating Justice on behalf of this child.

Archived