Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is European broadband faster and cheaper? Blame the government

shuler74

Weird title. The title says that "government" is the problem, but if you read the article itself, the author is saying that the problem is that the US government doesn't regulate ENOUGH. He thinks the government should be intevening in the market more than it does.

The market in the UK used to be much like ours here in the U.S.: British homes had two options for broadband service: the incumbent telephone company British Telecom (BT), or a cable provider. Prices were high, service was slow, and, as I mentioned above, Britain was falling behind its European neighbors in international rankings of broadband service.

The solution, the British government decided, was more competition: If consumers had more options when it came to broadband service, regulators reasoned, prices would fall and speeds would increase. A duopoly of telephone and cable service wasn't enough. "You need to find the third lever," says Peter Black, who was the UK government's top broadband regulator from 2004 to 2008.

So Government regulators do not allow other competitors to use the cable lines.

It would be sweet. I hate cox and think there price are high. Bring in the competition

Weird title. The title says that "government" is the problem, but if you read the article itself, the author is saying that the problem is that the US government doesn't regulate ENOUGH. He thinks the government should be intevening in the market more than it does.

Common theme in these parts these days, huh? One of their primary roles, imo, is to allow for the free market to operate smoothly by regulating industry and monopolies. Instead, they're simply part and parcel to and financially benefit from said monopolies.

Well sure. It is the government's fault because it is not regulating enough and doesn't invest enough in our infrastructure. I can buy that. When you rely on the free market often things seem to be done on the cheap.

So Government regulators do not allow other competitors to use the cable lines.

It would be sweet. I hate cox and think there price are high. Bring in the competition

No, regulators allow the sharing of lines. However, they don't FORCE the companies to allow others to use the lines, and the companies like not having the competition, so they don't do it themselves.

This is reminiscent of the confusion around net neutrality.

No, regulators allow the sharing of lines. However, they don't FORCE the companies to allow others to use the lines, and the companies like not having the competition, so they don't do it themselves.

This is reminiscent of the confusion around net neutrality.

I don't get how you say regulators allow the sharing of lines but don't force companies to allow others to use there line. Seems like its not sharing to me.

But I don't care if I get it or not.Thats not the point.

What I care is the Government has a opportunity to give better and cheaper service. Lets do it!!!!!!!

The government should always do whats best for the people and this would be a help.

Especially for the working poor and the poor.

If or when there is technology to get all free cable for the people the Government should do it.

Its important for government to emphasize things they can do well.

The use of free markets and capitalism are a rallying cry used by big business to make you unpatriotic if you support any kind of gov. regulation. We are slowly transitioning into a Corporate Oligarchy. Free markets do not mean markets free of government regulation, but markets that allow free entry to all.

Well sure. It is the government's fault because it is not regulating enough and doesn't invest enough in our infrastructure. I can buy that. When you rely on the free market often things seem to be done on the cheap.

It is my experience that when the Commercial Industries get involved they typically invest in better technology. When the Government does something like this, they nickle and dime it because of budget restraints and then it even gets worse because it has to be competed and you don't always get the equipment you want.

Capitalism doesn't result in competition without government forcing the issue? No way...

Not sure if I'm understanding what you are trying to get across here but for the sake of discussion, I believe that Capitalism results in competition in spite of government forcing issues.

Not sure if I'm understanding what you are trying to get across here but for the sake of discussion, I believe that Capitalism results in competition in spite of government forcing issues.

Unbridled capitalism with no regulation always has the end result of monopolies being formed.

Archived