Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AJC: Delta criticized for charging returning soldiers $200 each for extra bags

Bliz

I have a $200 Delta voucher that I'll sell for $100 to anyone on here.

I'll never fly Delta again. Not even for free.

I went to the Keys a few weeks ago and was supposed to leave on a 7am flight from DCA to MIA. My fiancee and I had friends flying from NC to Miami as well, we were all going to meet up and drive from Miami to Key West. Well, we got to the airport and they told us they were having a problem with the airplane door and that once the mechanics got there it would be a 10 min fix and we'd be on our way...

two hours later we were told that the flight was cancelled and we had to rebook ourselves on another flight at another gate.

We went to the other gate, stood there for over an hour before we made it to the agent, who told us that there was nothing today and maybe not the next day open for Miami or Key West. My fiancee busted out some tears and told her that we had to go to "the rehearsal dinner for her sister's wedding" (her sister isn't getting married). So the agent called US Air, put us on a flight from DCA to NYC (LaGuardia), then from NYC to West Palm Beach, putting us in FL at 10:30 pm as opposed to 9:30 am as originally planned.

Our friends had to drive from Miami to WPB, wait on us all day and then drive us all to Key West. We got to KW at 2:30 am and lost an entire day of our vacation, and we got a $200 voucher for it. WTF.

On top of all of that I got sat in the middle seat between a guy that kept picking his nose and wiping his boogers on his jeans and another guy who kept farting all flight. The US Air flight was leaps and bounds better and more organized than the Delta flight, it was a night and day difference.

On the way back our flight was delayed three hours on Memorial Day even though the weather was fine in both Miami and DC.

And before any of that, my fiancee flew Delta to Kentucky for her grandmother's wedding back in January and she was delayed both going to Kentucky and returning here.

So this is no surprise to me. **** Delta airlines, I'll overpay someone else before I ever fly on that **** airline again.

I was serious about the voucher BTW. $100 and it's yours.

Hate to piss on anyone's rant - but Delta changed their policy on military baggage yesterday, after the story came to light.

They are allowing 4 checked in bags (5 in first class) instead of 3 (4 in first).

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/mind-soul/doing-good/kindness/post/2011/06/delta-changes-policy-on-military-baggage/173626/1?csp=ylf

Delta apologized on its blog, saying that there had been a miscommunication.

"Our men and women in uniform deserve ultimate flexibility when they travel, on orders especially," Delta spokesman Morgan Durrant said (via Reuters).

whining. lol. okeedokee, then.

I don't know man...they do come across as kind of "whiny" on their video. These guys are SSG's...leaders...that should know that their orders entitle them to be reimbursed. They have likely filled out at least one travel voucher before. And on the heels of a deployment the 200 bucks is probably not going to get break the bank.

I don't know man...they do come across as kind of "whiny" on their video. These guys are SSG's...leaders...that should know that their orders entitle them to be reimbursed. They have likely filled out at least one travel voucher before. And on the heels of a deployment the 200 bucks is probably not going to get break the bank.

ah, gotcha. didnt see the video. actually, i didnt know they got reimbursed either, but i'm sure thats possible.

could be one of those stories that sounds bad, but isnt quite what it seems. i know when i hear an airline is charging money for extra bags for servicemen returning from afghanistan, i want to knock some sense into somebody.

Archived