Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Player lead Minicamp 5/24/11

c4man5282

"Really bad" is a gross exageration. Is he better suited for a 4-3? Definitely. Considering we had 1 legitimate 3-4 DL last season it's a wonder our LBers did as well as they did.

What makes you believe they like Riley a lot? His 7 tackles last season or the fact that he was active for 50% of the games on a team with a "really bad" starting ILB.

Stats don't tell the whole story but compare Rocky's to some other ILB's around the league, they aren't bad. You have to remember he was a career 4-3 guy like most of our players but he missed most of the offseason due to contract issues. Another year in the system and an offseason to work his body into the mold of an inside backer and he could make major strides. I don't think he will ever be among the top ILB's in the league nor do I think he is a guy we need to re-sign but "really bad" doesn't describe his game to me. At this point in time Riley and Henson are unknown's and McIntosh is the better option in a starting role. Hopefully if we let him walk one of them makes a major jump.

By all reports, the Skins are very high on Riley.

one of the reporters said aldrick robinson was not there cause he flight was canceled due to weather. he will be there tomorrow. so there is one more rookie.

also i tweeted robert henson to see if he was there...he said he would be there tomorrow as well.

Yeah, that tells me that they see others showing up and they're like "****..."

Niles Paul is well-positioned to be a major man-crush for me, if there's a preseason...developmental skill player at a position of need? Check. Great measurables, and great size/speed ratio? Check. Hard worker? Check. Great character guy? Check. Says the right things? Check. Didn't get the opportunity to meet his potential in college? Check. Great ST player and blocker? Check.

I like your optimism but Paul has some red flags, so I'm going to uncheck the "Great character guy" category and he has only 1,500 YDs receiving and 5 career TDs. Having said that I like Paul as well. He has the size (6'1 220), speed (4.45), is a good blocker, and can return KOs and punts. I think Paul could make Banks expendable.

I like your optimism but Paul has some red flags, so I'm going to uncheck the "Great character guy" category and he has only 1,500 YDs receiving and 5 career TDs. Having said that I like Paul as well. He has the size (6'1 220), speed (4.45), is a good blocker, and can return KOs and punts. I think Paul could make Banks expendable.

Not only that, you can't really argue with Paul as a #3 WR.

I'm still pretty high on Terence Austin (remember ... the guy we drafted last year). He looked great in the preseason and only saw real PT at the end of the regular season. I wouldn't sleep on him. He could make Moss expendable if he shows improvement.

He's a FA, so I don't think it would matter either way. He's probably not expecting to be back, whereas guys like Rocky and Rex are hoping. Some with more reason than others.

I was shocked to hear that Rocky was there, no way he's back. A lot of risk and expenses with these workouts, especially for FAs and rookies. I wonder if a player w/ a contract gets injured, if a team might have legal grounds to void their contract. Although they could get injured training on their own....this lockout f'in sucks

---------- Post added May-24th-2011 at 10:40 PM ----------

I'm still pretty high on Terence Austin (remember ... the guy we drafted last year). He looked great in the preseason and only saw real PT at the end of the regular season. I wouldn't sleep on him. He could make Moss expendable if he shows improvement.

Moss is a FA. I'm of the opinion that he won't be back. They had a month before the lockout to resign him and his contract demands were reportedly reasonable (5 mil/yr). That wouldn't be my choice, but I'm not the GM and can only go by what I see.

I really think that, provided we resign Moss and only keep 5 receivers, our lineup will be Moss, Hankerson, Paul, Armstrong, and Robinson and Austin competing for the 5 spot. If we keep 6, Robinson and Kelly are competing. I love Banks, but right now he's too one-dimensional. He needs to make an impact as a receiver to make the 53. If not, he's good trade bait to teams who need a returner.

I really think that, provided we resign Moss and only keep 5 receivers, our lineup will be Moss, Hankerson, Paul, Armstrong, and Robinson and Austin competing for the 5 spot. If we keep 6, Robinson and Kelly are competing. I love Banks, but right now he's too one-dimensional. He needs to make an impact as a receiver to make the 53. If not, he's good trade bait to teams who need a returner.

I agree re: Banks and with the new rules concerning kickoffs, his value goes down even further.

You don't think an Austin in his second year gets to compete with Armstrong?

Also, do you think the team will try and resign Moss given all of the competition at WR now? (I assume Moss wants $$$)

I agree re: Banks and with the new rules concerning kickoffs, his value goes down even further.

You don't think an Austin in his second year gets to compete with Armstrong?

Also, do you think the team will try and resign Moss given all of the competition at WR now? (I assume Moss wants $$$)

I think Armstrong has entrenched himself as at least the number 4 receiver, possibly even the number 3, given our draft. Austin, while showing promise, has not had enough experience to give him competition for his spot IMO.

I think we will resign Moss. He has a great history here, we've brought in another Miami receiver (not that that should have anything to do with it, but still), and he's stated that he wants to come back. I think we resign him, not for big bucks, but enough to keep him here until he retires.

Ahh, you're right. My opinion stands :ols: I'll uncheck that one, but I really think his potential wasn't even really scratched in college. And he's got the drive, which is mostly what I meant by "good character".

---------- Post added May-24th-2011 at 11:29 PM ----------

With all of this youth at WR, and with this team going nowhere at LEAST this year and probably next as well (and I'm generally an optimist), I really am starting to buck at the idea of bringing back Moss. I'm pretty ready to just remember him as the "Cowboy Killa" and let him move on, hopefully to a winning team.

I think Armstrong has entrenched himself as at least the number 4 receiver, possibly even the number 3, given our draft. Austin, while showing promise, has not had enough experience to give him competition for his spot IMO.

I think we will resign Moss. He has a great history here, we've brought in another Miami receiver (not that that should have anything to do with it, but still), and he's stated that he wants to come back. I think we resign him, not for big bucks, but enough to keep him here until he retires.

3. Terrence Austin as usual jumped out to me. I know he is challenged size wise, and might not be as explosive as you would like -- but last year in camp and in the preseason, plus the limited opportunities in the regular season, and again on Tuesday -- the 2nd year UCLA product always does something to make me go hmmmm. In a good way. He catches everything and from my view, always runs polished routes.

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/chris-russell/item/69-hello-football

Any links? I'm not doubting you I just haven't read that.

Mainly I've heard about Riley from the teams' beat reporters on the radio but here's a link.

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-skins/2011/01/grading-the-redskins-linebackers-7108.html

ILB Rocky McIntosh/Perry Riley -- McIntosh quietly had a pretty strong year against the run, recording a career-high 110 tackles. He had two sacks and three pass deflections. McIntosh struggled in pass coverage at times. He was good at tracking his man but had trouble judging the ball when it was in the air and would get turned around the wrong way and the tight end or running back he was covering would make the catch. Whether or not McIntosh, who is a free agent this year, remains in the Redskins’ plans is debatable. Coaches are high on rookie Perry Riley, and they might be able to find a stronger inside linebacker option through free agency. … Riley, a rookie out of LSU, appeared in just eight games this past season, but he showed some flashes that he could be a playmaker. His most extensive playing time came in the preseason against the Jets when he recorded seven tackles. He came up with a couple of key stops against Dallas in Week 15, but needs another round of OTAs and training camp in the defense to help his growth.

You don't think Armstrong keeps himself as #2 for this year? With a year in the offense now and since he was kind of a "rookie" last season, I imagine he might have a great year this year. Not sure if a more raw rookie would be able to pull ahead of him to #2. This is all assuming we resign Moss that is.

I saw something about this camp on the news. Anyone else a little bothered that one of Beck's passes "drew laughter" from his teammates on an intended deep ball that came out really ugly? Not sure if this guy is really respected.

I saw something about this camp on the news. Anyone else a little bothered that one of Beck's passes "drew laughter" from his teammates on an intended deep ball that came out really ugly? Not sure if this guy is really respected.

Hard to judge anything from a pickup practice even if some of Beck's over 30 YD passes were ducks. He did throw a 50 YD bomb to Austin for a TD....It's a very informal practice, maybe VY will be there when the season starts....................

The problem with not re-signing Moss is that it would make Armstrong the most experienced WR on the roster and there's no guarantee they'll be able to sign a better option in FA. They have to at least make an offer to Moss. I'd offer maybe a lil more than they think he's worth but not what he thinks he's worth. He'd be as valuable on the practice field with the rooks as he would be on the field.

You don't think Armstrong keeps himself as #2 for this year? With a year in the offense now and since he was kind of a "rookie" last season, I imagine he might have a great year this year. Not sure if a more raw rookie would be able to pull ahead of him to #2. This is all assuming we resign Moss that is.

Hankerson's got the measurables of a number one actually, but Moss (assuming we resign him) will be number one. Hankerson will be the number two, to get him on the field as much as possible. Armstrong is more of a vertical threat than anything else, and that's a good spot for a number 3 guy.

Hankerson's got the measurables of a number one actually, but Moss (assuming we resign him) will be number one. Hankerson will be the number two, to get him on the field as much as possible. Armstrong is more of a vertical threat than anything else, and that's a good spot for a number 3 guy.

This is what I'm hoping the top 3 on the depth chart are. After that there should be some pretty good competition between Kelly, Austin, Paul, Robinson, and Banks.

The problem with not re-signing Moss is that it would make Armstrong the most experienced WR on the roster and there's no guarantee they'll be able to sign a better option in FA. They have to at least make an offer to Moss. I'd offer maybe a lil more than they think he's worth but not what he thinks he's worth. He'd be as valuable on the practice field with the rooks as he would be on the field.

I really don't see the problem with Armstrong being the most experienced receiver on the field, if Moss isn't brought back. Worked well for the Bucs (having their top WR's be rookies/young players). More importantly, I don't see the problem because we aren't going anywhere, winning-wise, yet anyways.

Lots of guys are praising him for taking a lead role, especially with rookies. Drewing laughter from teammates behind he muffed a ball in such kind of session is no big deal. I'm pretty sure fun is all around those sessions and that Beck might not be the only one being laughed at from times to times.

That would be a concern if that happens every times he does something, but that's not the case, guys are just training and having fun, end of story.

Mainly I've heard about Riley from the teams' beat reporters on the radio but here's a link.

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-skins/2011/01/grading-the-redskins-linebackers-7108.html

Good example. Still how little playing time he earned makes me question his availability as a starter this season. I would think coaches would want to ease him in before making him a full time player.

Good example. Still how little playing time he earned makes me question his availability as a starter this season. I would think coaches would want to ease him in before making him a full time player.

How did Joey Galloway earn a starting spot over Anthony Armstrong? How did Larry Johnson earn a roster spot over Ryan Torain?

Archived