Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Roster analysis: Defensive line & the merged takes of pft & rotoworld of said article (M.E.T.)

Bat~man

TK EDIT :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roster-analysis-defensive-line/2011/05/10/AFjQyihG_blog.html#pagebreak

That is the link to the original entry by Mike Jones at the WP that both pft & rotoworld are basing these two merged articles from. You'd be better off reading the original WP article they both cite then their take on said article.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/11/report-mutual-interest-between-redskins-cullen-jenkins/

I know.. PFT~!

What do you guys think?

Jenkins is a fine player, but I'm always wary of a player that just won the Super Bowl.

After that milestone is hit, cashing in and setting yourself up for the rest of your life moves up the priority list. I don't mind making someone rich, but I'd want him to win the ring for US first.

I still wouldn't oppose the signing... just hopeful that he doesn't want to come here because he thinks it's a sweet payday.

Cullen plays the 5 technique, which is the same position we drafted Javaris Jenkins to play opposite Carriker.. let the young guy play there instead of signing an old vet to a big money contract. What we really need is a Nose Tackle

100% agree, but I think he would fit fine in the rotation (you're gonna need at least 4-5 ends) and is better than some of the guys on the roster. As long as the $$$ aren't crazy and the years I would take a chance.

Cullen plays the 5 technique, which is the same position we drafted Javaris Jenkins to play opposite Carriker.. let the young guy play there instead of signing an old vet to a big money contract. What we really need is a Nose Tackle

Both Jenkins can play on either side. Right or Left. Adam can come off the bench. I'd be down with it if we could get him at a good price.

Jenkins is a fine player, but I'm always wary of a player that just won the Super Bowl.

After that milestone is hit, cashing in and setting yourself up for the rest of your life moves up the priority list. I don't mind making someone rich, but I'd want him to win the ring for US first.

I still wouldn't oppose the signing... just hopeful that he doesn't want to come here because he thinks it's a sweet payday.

My brother, a Packer's fan, actually suggested I look at this guy a while back. He was a key part of their DL on their way to the SB last season. He's not a super healthy guy, but in a rotation you can't knock 7 sacks in 11 games. He wasn't super flashy last year, but he's an awesome player that just does whatever it takes to get the job done.

As far as wanting to "cash in" he actually has said multiple times that he wants to stay in GB because he knows what to expect, his friends are there, he's even said he'd take less money (same as AJ Hawk did) but the Packers haven't come to talk with him about any contract. So he seemed a little bummed about that.

He's known to be a hard worker and a good teammate, but GB's GM is kind of an odd duck and just pulls some strange moves on occasion. I don't think Jenkins is going to cost us a ton of money, so this could be a fantastic upgrade, and considering we currently have Holliday (35 years old) and Daniels (38) picking up a 30 year old Jenkins would actually make us younger. :silly:

yeah would have been ok with it had we not drafted Jenkins, but now we have Jarmon, Jenkins, Daniels....doesn't make sense to sign him. Unless its to kick the tires.

The more positive role models for our impressionable young, the better. All the more important if they can actually play well, like Atogwe, Cullen Jenkins. It's a lot harder if you're a 22 year old to listen to advice from your backup rather than the guy who's above you on the depth chart.

Given how long Holiday and Daniels have been productive, it isn't unreasonable to assume that Jenkins could play another 5 more years of good football and be a highly beneficial member of our rotation. And hell, he's only about 10 months older than ES-anointed-nose tackle Anthony Bryant.

If we're replacing Daniels on the roster with Cullen Jenkins, that's an enormous upgrade, and as jflow78 pointed out, we actually get 8 years younger at the position.

we've lost Haynesworth, presumably, and Holliday might retire.

So far we've added Jarvis Jenkins. We still need another guy in the DE rotation. We have plenty of younger guys in Carriker, Jarmon, Golston, Jarvis. Adding a vet is fine to me.

Rebuilding team, Injury prone player over 30. I like the way Jenkins plays, but we're not in a position to take chances on a guy like this.

Maybe in 2-3 years we'll be in a position to add a guy like him. Not now, imo.

Although, it would be interesting to see Cullen Jenkins lined up on Rak's side.

I don't see the problem with it really. If the money is right, he'll clearly be a rotational guy.

I can't believe you guys are mentioning Jarmon and Daniels tho... Jarmon is a huge unknown for this defense and Daniels grew up with Jesus. Jenkins is a much better option if the price is right.

Citing people inside the organization, the Washington Post reports that the Redskins have "money to spend" and are "champing at the bit" to use it in unrestricted free agency.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/204379/report-redskins-to-spend-big-in-free-agency

On one hand, we need fresh blood ... on the other hand. Don't Vinny it.

See what I did there ... Vinny = BLOW

Why would Cullen Jenkins be interested in coming to the Redskins? There is no reason other than he's looking for a big payday after last season. We don't need players like that anymore.

Why would Cullen Jenkins be interested in coming to the Redskins? There is no reason other than he's looking for a big payday after last season. We don't need players like that anymore.

The only reason I can see for him to sign with us, is big money. Its not like he's dreamed of playing for the great Jim Haslett :D

Citing people inside the organization, the Washington Post reports that the Redskins have "money to spend" and are "champing at the bit" to use it in unrestricted free agency.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/204379/report-redskins-to-spend-big-in-free-agency

On one hand, we need fresh blood ... on the other hand. Don't Vinny it.

See what I did there ... Vinny = BLOW

Pretty sure that I've seen this article every year for the past decade.

The article also says that Shanallen has designs of winning now. No ****, Rotoworld. Nobody goes into a season wanting to win in a few years. Signing free agents also doesn't mean giving them huge guaranteed contracts or signing the biggest stars out there, hence Atogwe's deal.

To me, its not how much of Dan's money they spend. It doesn't matter how big a name a player is.

Its the character of the players that are signed. Just because Vinny made a lot of embarassing acquistions, that shouldn't affect the fans' opinions towards massive spending.

But it does, even for me. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. We have to get more talent and depth somewhere.

not sure who agrees with me but if we got nnamdi i'd be 100 times more confident in this defense. that kind of shut down corner along with nabbing kerrigan to be on the otherside of orakpo would be pretty deadly.

:logo::logo::logo:

Archived