Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Report: Ohio State faces more scrutiny

ACW

Don't football players have workouts well before classes start?

Hope you and Busch are right about that, if the stories about the Buckeyes is true.

Agreed about evidence. My point is just that I think more stuff tends to leak, like agents paying for UNC players to go to parties. So investigators from the press and the NCAA get more leads on where to look.

I can't think of a single D1 sports team that doesn't have organized workouts before their season. But:

1) The athletes (whether football, track, baseball, tennis, whatever) are still supposed to be registered students actively taking classes at the time of those workouts- some football players, for example, finish high school a semester early so they can do what's called "Early Enrollment" at the university they signed their LOI with, and by starting their college education that spring, they can also participate in the team's spring workouts. Same thing with the summer- while college campuses are usually fairly empty in the summer, you'll often find a lot of scholarship athletes on campus taking classes so that they can continue working out and participating in summer practices.

2) The tennis player at Boise wasn't enrolled in anything yet. She was participating as a scholarship athlete while not actually attending Boise State, until her registration occurred. That's clearly a pretty big violation of even the so-called "mirage" of being a student-athlete. She was literally just an athlete, a hired gun (or racket, in this case).

As for evidence against Ohio State, you should check out the SPORTSbyBROOKS link I posted earlier:

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/the-lost-tressel-emails-anatomy-of-a-coverup-29681

The Columbus Dispatch obtained and released copies of e-mails within the Ohio State football office showing Tressel basically trying to cover up this whole mess. The evidence is coming out.

the Vest is as dirty as they come.....O$U runs a dirty program was the worst kept secret in america...everyday is something new...rthe vest needs to step down and to be honest the school needs to shut this program down and get control of it as things get worse and worse everyday....soon you will find out the AD and school pres were in on this as well...total lack on institutional control...and yes Im a Michigan grad ...but regardless things are way out of control in columbus and St. Tressel is the main culprit

then i will have to agree with this entire post

:cheers:

I'd look to USC as a recent example of how a marquee program will be treated - the punishment will likely draw blood (miss bowl games for a couple of years, lose some scholarships), but no one at the NCAA wants to see the death penalty used again.

Wasn't Northwestern involved in an infamous point shaving scandal in the late 90's?

Yes they weren't sanctioned, but were part of the point shaving scandal as was Boston College....the other one still hasn't been mentioned.

Just some background, technically there are four: PSU, Boston College, Northwestern, and the one team not named yet. Northwestern and Boston College aren't part of the correct answer due to the point shaving scandal. UCONN was actually the third team until Calhoun got the program in trouble this past year, which is why the NCAA is down to two.

Report: Car sold for $13,700, not $0

ESPN.com news services

Former Ohio State linebacker Thaddeus Gibson didn't understand why his purchase of a used Chrysler 300C was listed at $0 in documents disclosed in a media report, since he was still making payments on the vehicle.

Now, newly uncovered documents appear to back up Gibson -- to the tune of $13,700.

In an initial report on Ohio State's investigation of car sales to athletes and their families, the Dispatch cited documents showing a purchase price of $0 for Gibson's car.

But on Wednesday, the newspaper reported it obtained a previous title on the vehicle listing the purchase price as $13,700 for a sale dated June 27, 2007 and financed through Huntington National Bank.

The title listing the purchase price as $0 was dated March 6, 2008 and listed the same bank as the lender, according to the report.

Source ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6526673

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, he may have not gotten it for $0, but $13,700 sounds like a sweet heart deal for car bought 3 years ago (I heard apparently it should have been worth around 22k at the time he bought it)...However, it is a Chrysler:ols:

Archived