Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLDraftScout.com 2012 Mock Draft - QB Luck to the Skins

SkinsGuru

I'd personally take steady improvement, an around .500 season, and maybe a great prospect like the Sooner Jones in next years draft.

Hail.

I need to watch a bit more of Jones, to be honest. From what I've seen he has prototype size with a cannon for an arm, decent overall athleticism, pretty good footwork. What bugs me a bit, and you can see this if you look at highlights, is his release. There is definitely a hitch in it and he has a bit of a windup. He seems to drop the ball a bit lower than you'd like before throwing and it ends up as a hitch in his motion as he brings it back up during his release. Personally, as of now obviously, I would put Barkley ahead of him...and both behind Luck. Really like Barkley's footwork, mechanics, and field vision. Doesn't have a howitzer for an arm but it is certainly above average and he spins it well. Then again, same thing with Luck...and we know that arm strength is not the end all be all.

6 or 7 wins with a much younger roster though is progress. If we go 1-15, that means are young vets like Orakpo, Landry, Riley, Barnes, Trent, along with our high picks this year did not progress as much as we'd hope. I'd rather be in position to get a Jones or Barkley type to go with a young roster that has progressed than go 1-15....

Pretty much the way I see it. Steady progress year on year, then if we did indeed manage to snag a prospect like Jones or Barkley next year, come year's 4 or 5 we'd be in a prime position to contend again. This is gona' be a long haul whichever way you cut it, but although I see the reasoning behind wanting Luck, I personally think a season bad enough to land him would do more harm than good.

Hail.

The Patriots having been saving all these picks for a reason, to trade up to number 1 to select the golden child part 2. Andrew Luck.

They just took Mallet. Also the 1st rounders are going to be in the late 20's in all likelihood so they don't hold nearly enough value to move up to #1.

I need to watch a bit more of Jones, to be honest. From what I've seen he has prototype size with a cannon for an arm, decent overall athleticism, pretty good footwork. What bugs me a bit, and you can see this if you look at highlights, is his release. There is definitely a hitch in it and he has a bit of a windup. He seems to drop the ball a bit lower than you'd like before throwing and it ends up as a hitch in his motion as he brings it back up during his release.

It's improving, and has never really affected his accuracy which has been pretty darn good since he covered for the injured Bradford in Sam's last season. I also like the way he's accurate on the run, which is a plus in Shanahan's O. Big season for him this coming year, but he's certainly progressed rapidly thus far.

No Sam Bradford, but certainly a real talented prospect IMHO.

Hail.

Same stuff here http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

I'm just wondering how come those guys can even think about the Redskins having the worst record next year ? :insane:

I wish someone would explain to me the reason why they beleieve the Skins wont have the first pick in the draft next year? Of the teams who had worse records than Washington last year...What team's record will be worse than than the Skins this year ???

Carolina?? - Already drafted a QB

Cincy?? - They play the NFC West

Denver??- Already have Orton and Tebow plus they play in the AFC west

Dallas?? - I wish but C'mon..

Tennessee?? - Drafted Jake Locker

Arizona?? - They're in the NFC West

Cleveland ??- Colt McCoy

Buffalo?? - Fitzpatrick will shine this year as he showed last year.

49ers'?? - Drafted Andy Dalton

Some of you need to wake up. We are in for one of the longest seasons in Redskins history unless we keep McNabb. But with Beck or Grossman at QB you can be certain we will be in the top 5 draft next year. Grossman and Beck both have sucked in their NFL careers but all of a suddent they're supposed to catch lighting in a bottle and go Rich Gannon on us??? Signing another veteran QB ( Bulger, Young, Hasselbeck..etc) will only make it worse because we dont have talent on this roster. We'll be 5-11 at best without McNabb! But more than likely 4-12 or 3-13.

I don't think these sites are thinking about it in terms of record. They're just projecting that somehow (trade, record, whatever) we end up with the first pick to take Luck. It's really just something to write about in the first week of May when we have absolutely NO IDEA what the draft order will be like (or if there will even be a draft as we know it) in 2012. To be taken solely for what it is: make believe.

I wish someone would explain to me the reason why they beleieve the Skins wont have the first pick in the draft next year? Of the teams who had worse records than Washington last year...What team's record will be worse than than the Skins this year ???

Carolina?? - Already drafted a QB

Cincy?? - They play the NFC West

Denver??- Already have Orton and Tebow plus they play in the AFC west

Dallas?? - I wish but C'mon..

Tennessee?? - Drafted Jake Locker

Arizona?? - They're in the NFC West

Cleveland ??- Colt McCoy

Buffalo?? - Fitzpatrick will shine this year as he showed last year.

49ers'?? - Drafted Andy Dalton

Some of you need to wake up. We are in for one of the longest seasons in Redskins history unless we keep McNabb. But with Beck or Grossman at QB you can be certain we will be in the top 5 draft next year. Grossman and Beck both have sucked in their NFL careers but all of a suddent they're supposed to catch lighting in a bottle and go Rich Gannon on us??? Signing another veteran QB ( Bulger, Young, Hasselbeck..etc) will only make it worse because we dont have talent on this roster. We'll be 5-11 at best without McNabb! But more than likely 4-12 or 3-13.

I'm terribly confused. So if you have a rookie QB you will automatically improve? If the argument was why QB's would slip, how does having Colt McCoy or Dalton = better season? I'm not saying we will be world beaters but don't see the logic there.

I'm terribly confused. So if you have a rookie QB you will automatically improve? If the argument was why QB's would slip, how does having Colt McCoy or Dalton = better season? I'm not saying we will be world beaters but don't see the logic there.

I'm not saying San Fran,Denver, Tennessee,Carolina or Cleveland will have better seasons because of their QBs. I'm saying why would they draft Andrew Luck or any other College QB in 2011 when they just drafted a rookie QB in 2009 or 2010?? They'd be waisting their pick before even seeing if it worked. So I'm saying even if we didnt have the worst record, alot of teams who might have a sorrier record than ours already drafted their QBs for the future.

And I'm not jumping on you, I've just seen alot of people say we'll be 7-9 or 8-8 and I'm just wondering why they say that? I just dont see it unless McNabb comes back

If Ponder were coming here why would this be going on?

"The Florida State quarterback, drafted 12th overall to take over for the departed Brett Favre, knew time was of the essence when he arrived at team headquarters on Friday, and he spent all day meeting with coaches and going over Xs and Os while the lockout was temporarily lifted."

""We don't know how long this window will be open so we have to take advantage of every moment and try to get him the information that we think he'll need to come back, whenever that is, with a working knowledge of what we're trying to accomplish," Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said after introducing Ponder."

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20110501/SPORTS/105010332/NFL-rookies-wallow-lockout-limbo

The Vikings coaches would not had done this if a deal was already in place to ship him to DC.

IF it meant we got Luck, I would absolutely take a 1-15 season. However, sadly there's no way to know for sure we'd get him and he wouldn't declare again.

But if you told me we would get Luck if we went 1-15? Yeah, I'd do it in a heart beat. Because it'd mean for the next decade we're likely a 10 win or more team, multiple playoff appearances, and legitimate shot at the super bowl. The kids going to be good.

WTH are you people smoking???

All by himself he's gonna automatically mean 10 win seasons for a decade, AND legit shots at the super bowl?? Really?

eta you just enshrined yourself in my sig!

WTH are you people smoking???

All by himself he's gonna automatically mean 10 win seasons for a decade, AND legit shots at the super bowl?? Really?

Your sig says it all, brother.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 04:57 PM ----------

What makes everyone think he is going to come out next year. Luck still has two years of eligibility left.

He stayed to finish his degree, which he will do the fall semester. He's graduating early, so he's not stupid. He's leaving after next season.

This guys a real Skins hater..couldn't bear the thought of the Skins getting Luck ..:)

Peter Shrager....

1. Seattle Seahawks — Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford: The Seahawks suffer early and often at the start of the Charlie Whitehurst era and never fully recover. Pete Carroll keeps his job and gets the ultimate prize next April — Mr. Luck. A 6-foot-4, 230-pound Heisman finalist from a year ago, Luck breaks all of John Elway’s old Stanford passing records and goes first overall.

2. Washington Redskins — Matt Barkley, QB, USC: The John Beck/Rex Grossman era begins and ends with a thud in the nation’s capital. The Redskins fail to ever get things going on offense and opt to address the quarterback position in 2012 with Barkley, the junior gunslinger out of USC. A starter as a freshman in 2009, Barkley showed flashes He made great strides in 2010. 2011? The sky’s the limit for the 6-2, 220 pound former Gatorade National Player of the Year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peter-Schrager-NFL-2012-first-round-mock-draft-050311?GT1=39002

What makes everyone think he is going to come out next year. Luck still has two years of eligibility left.

Which is precisely why it was STUPID for Shanahan to bench McNabb and cause all this QB controversey. The plan was for McNabb to be the Skins QB, build the team with youth, then take the top QB prospect out of college whether that was 2011 or 2012. If we can mend ties with McNabb it wont matter when he comes out cause we'll already have a system in waiting. Without McNabb its just another classic QB carusel..Grossman, Beck, whoever..

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 09:25 PM ----------

If Ponder were coming here why would this be going on?

"The Florida State quarterback, drafted 12th overall to take over for the departed Brett Favre, knew time was of the essence when he arrived at team headquarters on Friday, and he spent all day meeting with coaches and going over Xs and Os while the lockout was temporarily lifted."

""We don't know how long this window will be open so we have to take advantage of every moment and try to get him the information that we think he'll need to come back, whenever that is, with a working knowledge of what we're trying to accomplish," Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said after introducing Ponder."

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20110501/SPORTS/105010332/NFL-rookies-wallow-lockout-limbo

The Vikings coaches would not had done this if a deal was already in place to ship him to DC.

Thank You for posting this..

The thought that the Vikings would trade Ponder to us is absolutely asinine!!!

who said we would have to go 1-15 to get the #1 pick next year. unless something unthinkable happens with our qb situation this year, you better believe the fo will trying to trade up to get luck next year. to all the mooks questioning lucks ability, yes he is that good!!

Which is precisely why it was STUPID for Shanahan to bench McNabb and cause all this QB controversey. The plan was for McNabb to be the Skins QB, build the team with youth, then take the top QB prospect out of college whether that was 2011 or 2012. If we can mend ties with McNabb it wont matter when he comes out cause we'll already have a system in waiting. Without McNabb its just another classic QB carusel..Grossman, Beck, whoever..

Whose plan was it? Yours or Shanahan's? I'm assuming he told you this was the case?

The reason we may be worse is simply a few names:

Santana Moss

Donovan McNabb

Rex Grossman

Jamal Brown

Rocky McIntosh

Carlos Rogers

Kendric Golston

These guys were key contributors last year on this team and none are re-signed. Hopefully we take a true rebuilding year and let everyone of these guys walk. It means compensatory picks which could be key in a true rebuild.

This is just stupid. It has been 3 days since the draft ended and not only are they slotting players, but they are predicting records to see where teams will pick?

Someone needs to stop reporting stuff while stoned.

McShay was doing an interview and he said the blog entry of his that gets the most hits annually is the post-draft mock for the next year. :whoknows:

Archived