Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clemson DE Da’Quan Bowers

addicted

What's everyone's opinion on Bowers? When I read stuff like this

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/04/28/bowers-slid-right-out-of-the-first-round/?module=HP_cp2

It says to me that the league thinks his knees toast. For every Bull there is a Bear, so let me be Bullish for a moment. What if his knee isn't as bad as teams think and the talk about it was predraft smoke screens? At what point does the risk equal taking him? Would you support us taking a gamble on him with our first 2nd round pick if he's still on the board? Why or why not?

Edit..I found this article when I was about to post this and goes into depth on this player about taking him with the 10th pick and how that would affect the team:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-draft-prospects-daquan-bowers/2011/04/26/AFGECpsE_blog.html

NFL teams clearly know something from his medicals we don't. That every team in the NFL passed on him suggests his knee is worse than we have heard. He is worth a risk at some point, but we are not a team in the position to gamble second round picks on a guy who might spend more time on IR than on the field and be done in four years.

Jarmon does not equal Bowers at all and...if Bowers gets to the Skins...Carolina might be parting with their 2012 #1. You heard it here first.

Jarmon is a 4-3 end with some upside as a pass rusher in the 3-4 on 3rd downs, but definitely branded for the 4-3, and has knee issues.... tell me how that is not Bowers?

-and I hope you are right... Carolina already made one mistake in not waiting on Clausen and taking a possible bust, might as well make two in two years

This draft is too important to gamble on a player with serious health concerns. Great upside but the cost of failure is too high.

That said, I'm warming up to the gamble of Ryan Mallet. He's clearly the most gifted thrower, with good recognition of defenses, outstanding accuracy and a quick release. If his personal issues can be put behind him, he could be the steal of the draft as a second rounder.

If you are wondering what the difference is between the two players in my mind it's simple. Physical limitations can be impossible to overcome, immaturity can be overcome with age and guidance. And oh BTW... A great QB would have a much greater impact on this team than any other player at any position.

NFL teams clearly know something from his medicals we don't. That every team in the NFL passed on him suggests his knee is worse than we have heard. He is worth a risk at some point, but we are not a team in the position to gamble second round picks on a guy who might spend more time on IR than on the field and be done in four years.

He's too good of a player to have slipped this far unless his knee is really that bad.

Not really interested.

Bowers is a lot more talented than Jarmon, for starters.

You know this how, exactly? He may look better now in your eyes, but Jarmon was projected to possibly be a first rounder as well if he wasn't suspended and having to go through the supplemental draft. We literally got a steal out of Jarmon

You know this how, exactly? He may look better now in your eyes, but Jarmon was projected to possibly be a first rounder as well if he wasn't suspended and having to go through the supplemental draft. We literally got a steal out of Jarmon

Jarmon was considered a good prospect by most reports that I read. Bowers on the other hand, if healthy, was considered a great prospect. Teams will really have to do their homework on him.

Jarmon started 31 times in three seasons. He was an All-SEC selection his last two years when he had a combined 100 tackles, including 23 ½ for losses with 13 ½ sacks.

Bowers in his last two seasons - 113 tackles, 35 TFL, 26 Sacks...

Big difference in sacks, but still

Jarmon started 31 times in three seasons. He was an All-SEC selection his last two years when he had a combined 100 tackles, including 23 ½ for losses with 13 ½ sacks.

Bowers in his last two seasons - 113 tackles, 35 TFL, 26 Sacks...

Big difference in sacks, but still

Considering Jarmon did it in the SEC and Bowers did it in the ACC makes Jarmon look a little better...although I give the edge to Bowers

Considering Jarmon did it in the SEC and Bowers did it in the ACC makes Jarmon look a little better...although I give the edge to Bowers

I do agree with giving Bowers a slight edge. But what im saying is we already have Jarmon who is seasoned in our Defense. Both are not 3-4 guys, but they are similar in production in college. We basically have our own Bowers, no need to spend on a spaghetti knee that may see 1 season on the bench before finally being put on IR and then out of the league in 3 years... and does not fit our defense in any way, shape, or form

Yes, a steal, which reflects in his 16 games played in 2 seasons, 11 tackles, and 1 sack?

Bowers has top 5 talent. Meaning, if health wasn't a concern, he would have been battling dareus, miller, and peterson for which D prospect would have been taken off the board first.

The health is obviously a huge concern (which is why he dropped completely out of the 1st round) but dont compare him to jarmon in talent. If anything, you could compare the number of games the two of them could play in the first 2 seasons. Both having injuries, yet bowers top 5 pick talent, trying to compare him to a 3rd round supplemental draft guy who hasnt done anything in his first 2 years? please.

Yes, a steal, which reflects in his 16 games played in 2 seasons, 11 tackles, and 1 sack?

Bowers has top 5 talent. Meaning, if health wasn't a concern, he would have been battling dareus, miller, and peterson for which D prospect would have been taken off the board first.

The health is obviously a huge concern (which is why he dropped completely out of the 1st round) but dont compare him to jarmon in talent. If anything, you could compare the number of games the two of them could play in the first 2 seasons. Both having injuries, yet bowers top 5 pick talent, trying to compare him to a 3rd round supplemental draft guy who hasnt done anything in his first 2 years? please.

Youre proving my point.... They both do not fit the 'Skins defense. When they actually allow Jarmon on the field, he produces, but they never put him on the field. Not to mention the injured year. Late last season, he and Carriker with the unproven LB's were causing havoc... in the NFL, not college mind you

Archived