Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jon Gruden QB Camp: Ryan Mallet vs Cam Newton

SonnyandSam

You see its not just Mallet's side of the story. It's also Julio Jones' side of the story, his agents, and the Carolina Panthers side of the story. So when I have to make a judgement between a spurious report with no sources vs. real sources with direct quotations and multiple people backing it up, I chose the latter ten times out of ten.

Use the eye test. Mallet admitted to teams about his drug use in college, we saw how he acted when asked questions by the media, so is it really too much to assume that maybe just maybe he was out partying the night before?

I'm not sure what to believe, but my eyes tell me that Mallet or Newton won't ever be the type of guys you want repersenting your organization at the QB position. The fact that a NFC GM told Mike Mayock " he would not draft Mallet, period. No matter where he might fall" speaks volumes on what people think about this kid.

Cam called off two of Auburn's plays. Number 36 and number 52. That's exactly how Auburn's plays are designed under Gus Malzahn, by a numbering system. If Gruden or anyone has watched Auburn football the last two years, they should know that. It's all done with flip charts of numbers and colors on the sideline. The Auburn fans don't even understand it but the players do. I've read speculation that the numbers and colors aren't the actual play. They just point the players as to which coach to look at on the sideline and he gives a hand signal for the play, but I don't know if that's true. It's a very complicated system for an opposing team to decipher, but supposedly simple to the players once they have learned it. But to say that Cam couldn't come up with one Auburn play it totally wrong. No quarterback could win a Heisman trophy or a BCS championship without knowing the plays. That's just plain stupid.

Agreed; it made no sense to fault Newton for Auburn's play-calling system. I didn't catch the diagram-drawing segment tho.

People forget this guys are still pretty much kids. Ones under a ton of pressure and scrutiny. My God, if you put me on camera at 21... yikes.

They will be very different at 25 than they are now. And even more so at 30.

Ridiculous to make a judgement on someone -- good or bad -- based on a half hour, heavily edited piece of television. I'm sure Brett Favre would have come off like a brain dead hick had he done "Gruden's Camp" when he was 21.

Hold on a second... Does Auburn's play calling system involve only 2 digit numbers (limited to total of 99 plays, unless you count "0" which make it 100), or does the system extend to 3-digit numbers? If so, that would be like 900 more plays, which is way more complicated than only 99 (or 100 depending on how you count). That would be very impressive.

Your offensive scheme should dictate what type of QB you acquire, not the division you play in. Furthermore, Kyle's scheme specifically is predicated on high to low reads, which is suited quite well to Ryan Mallett's skill-set.

Not to nit-pick you but the high-low read things is a misconception that Kyle specifically addressed last year but I understand and agree with your overall point though.

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 08:39 PM ----------

The notion or implication that Cam doesn't know what everyone does on each play is patently absurd.

Really.

Many spread teams calls plays the exact same way as Auburn to include Sam Bradford.

His plays came in from the sideline too.

BTW-If you believe that Cam can just receive a signal from the sideline and run the play without actually knowing what everyone does on that play then your basically saying that Cam is like QB savant.

Out of all of them, the one I was most impressed with was Jake Locker. I thought Mallet was fine, Newton looked like he'd be great on the Cowboys (very little walk with all the talk), Dalton looked like he was completely out of his element and acted kind of goofy (sort of "aw shucks"), and Locker actually looked very comfortable, composed, and took the criticism very well.

Now, I don't have any idea who will be successful, and since these videos are such a small sampling, there's no way to tell what these guys are really like, so I'm just saying what they each seemed like, but I was most impressed with Locker.

Out of all of them, the one I was most impressed with was Jake Locker. I thought Mallet was fine, Newton looked like he'd be great on the Cowboys (very little walk with all the talk), Dalton looked like he was completely out of his element and acted kind of goofy (sort of "aw shucks"), and Locker actually looked very comfortable, composed, and took the criticism very well.

Now, I don't have any idea who will be successful, and since these videos are such a small sampling, there's no way to tell what these guys are really like, so I'm just saying what they each seemed like, but I was most impressed with Locker.

I agree with you on all counts. Grudens QB Camp is going to be on ESPN tonight at 7 PM EST. It will have all of them in an hour. If you don't have ESPN U and didn't get to watch these, then it will be worthwhile to watch. We are all pretty much confident that the Skins will select one of these kids as the QB of the future. We just don't know which one yet. This will be a good way to compare them personality wise.

I agree with you on all counts. Grudens QB Camp is going to be on ESPN tonight at 7 PM EST. It will have all of them in an hour. If you don't have ESPN U and didn't get to watch these, then it will be worthwhile to watch. We are all pretty much confident that the Skins will select one of these kids as the QB of the future. We just don't know which one yet. This will be a good way to compare them personality wise.

It's a half hour, heavily edited piece of TV. The kids -- which is what they are, kids -- know they are being filmed and react in different ways to that. This show is fun to watch, but I wouldn't judge anyone because of it.

That's because Newton is an idiot. Straight up dumbass who won on talent alone. He'll never amount to anything in the NFL. I hope his marketing team/agent is really pushing because that guy will receive one contract his entire football career and it's from this draft. After that he's done.

An idiot who scored six points higher on the Wonderlic than Locker, who everybody seems to love because he was great with Gruden.

Tebow was awesome with Gruden. And the Broncos have pretty much already given up on him.

I don't even like Newton. I just think people act like they know these guys when they have no clue.

Found the video and watched it. Hooper I get what you're saying but I can make an educated decision based on watching this guy interact. His football knowledge is literally non-existent. Therefore, I conclude that he's a dumbass. You have a difference of opinion. I'm ok with that :)

Btw, notice how the receiver has already broke off his route before Cam even delivers the ball? I'm sure the timing isn't great because maybe he didn't know the receivers (or maybe he was familiar with them) but throw one before the break.

Btw, notice how the receiver has already broke off his route before Cam even delivers the ball? I'm sure the timing isn't great because maybe he didn't know the receivers (or maybe he was familiar with them) but throw one before the break.

That's one play. It doesn't mean he can't do it or can't learn to do it. And maybe his freakish athletic skills will overcome the negative aspects of his game.

Not to mention Gruden has apparently told folks he would take Newton over anyone else.

But I am not a Cam Newton guy. I think he is a boom or bust guy. Same for Locker. With both of them, you are picking them based on upside.

Again, I just don't think you can take this show for anything other than entertainment value.

That's one play. It doesn't mean he can't do it or can't learn to do it. And maybe his freakish athletic skills will overcome the negative aspects of his game.

Not to mention Gruden has apparently told folks he would take Newton over anyone else.

But I am not a Cam Newton guy. I think he is a boom or bust guy. Same for Locker. With both of them, you are picking them based on upside.

Again, I just don't think you can take this show for anything other than entertainment value.

Well it was a few plays but still. You're right though the show is obviously for entertainment however when you watch the video of Mallet you get the sense that he really knows the game. He knows what he's talking about. I like that about him. He seemed to be a real student of the game. He appeared to be able to diagnose what he saw on the video quickly and easily. I think teammates would listen to him because he is confident.

I should point out that Colt Brennan did the same thing on the beach in Hawaii and he didn't turn out so well :)

I agree with all of your points though - cam does appear to be boom or bust because he's so gifted. There is no denying that he can move and throw the hell out of the ball I just don't think he'll be able to really grasp an NFL offense. Read defenses. Pick out blitzes. Etc.

It's a half hour, heavily edited piece of TV. The kids -- which is what they are, kids -- know they are being filmed and react in different ways to that. This show is fun to watch, but I wouldn't judge anyone because of it.

Which is exactly why I said, "Now, I don't have any idea who will be successful, and since these videos are such a small sampling, there's no way to tell what these guys are really like, so I'm just saying what they each seemed like, but I was most impressed with Locker."

I thought that was pretty clear.

I thought this thread was about who put their better foot forward on the show? I have no clue who will be better in the NFL, and neither does anyone else, especially from these videos, but if I HAD to pick a winner on these videos alone, it would be Locker.

If I had to pick between Newton and Mallet, then I'd pick Mallet, as far as who looked better on the show.

Fair enough, my friend.

I like Mallett too. Especially if he drops in the draft. He can flat out throw the ball. I think people are spreading nonsense about him so he falls to them.

I think that happens a lot in drafts. Sometimes they make a player look worse than he is in order to draft him later. Typically, QBs are expected to be taken early and often and most of the time teams pass on them. My best argument for this is Rodgers. But there have been plenty of others.

Your offensive scheme should dictate what type of QB you acquire, not the division you play in. Furthermore, Kyle's scheme specifically is predicated on high to low reads, which is suited quite well to Ryan Mallett's skill-set.
The division SHOULD actually matter because it's 6 games during the season every year. You also may be likely to meet a division team in the playoffs as well.

The Washington offense also requires its QB to do roll outs and boot legs. Mallet has a major issue with throwing on the run and resetting his feet to throw when being flushed out of the pocket. Mallet has a great arm, but when you make him move he is ineffective. A sitting duck will not work in Washington.

Add the fact that he continually choked in pressure situations late in a games makes me wish the redskins to stay away with the first 2 picks.

The Washington offense also requires its QB to do roll outs and boot legs. Mallet has a major issue with throwing on the run and resetting his feet to throw when being flushed out of the pocket. Mallet has a great arm, but when you make him move he is ineffective. A sitting duck will not work in Washington.

Mike Shanahan's offense is heavy on rollouts.

Kyle Shanahan's offense -- the one we're running -- is not. At least it doesn't rely on it.

That said, Mallet's lack of mobility would be a concern in any offense. He's a statue. Then again, I do recall seeing him roll out and making some nice throws in his highlight video in the thread on him.

I think Mallet has the least bust potential of any of the QBS Gruden focused on. He's football smart and can make all the throws with ease. If you can protect him -- which clearly won't be the case in DC -- you could probably start him from day one. Can't say that about the other QBs except maybe Dalton.

Archived