Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jon Gruden QB Camp: Ryan Mallet vs Cam Newton

SonnyandSam

I just watched two episodes of Jon Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN. If you have not watched these shows, make an effort to watch them. Very entertaining and very enlightening; especially the first 15-20 minutes of one on one with Gruden and a college QB. The outside throwing stuff was pretty boring and useless. Anyway to the point of my post....

Based on what I heard, give me Ryan Mallet any day of the week over Cam Newton. Mallet impressed on his football knowledge. Cam....well....he'd be a great friend to go out with to the party to hook up with the girls. He flashes that great smile; can carry a fun conversation but knows so little about how to QB a team.

Gruden asked both to give him a college football play...any play. A lengthy complicated play call was rattled off quickly by Mallet. Cam? He could not even come up with ANY Auburn play....he mumbled, "Oh man, you're putting me on the spot, Coach"....damn right! And all Cam could do was flash his pretty smile.

Mallet was not as smooth as Newton with the friendly give and take, but any time it turned to football talk, it was like listening to a coach. When diagramming plays on the white board, Mallet sounded like a coach teaching the play to his QB. With Newton, he could barely draw the play let alone describe it. He kept stammering, and just had great difficulty diagramming the play he just saw on video tape.

I feel much more comfortable with Mallet after watching that show. I have read that he lives and breathes football and studies video tape like a basketball gym rat is always shooting baskets at the gym. I totally believe that after listening to Mallet.

And for those critical of how slow and nonathletic he is....I have four words...."Peyton Manning" and "Tom Brady". Give me an intelligent savvy QB over the physically gifted QB any time.

I don't know if I am sold on Mallet over the other possible QBs in the draft. But he was very impressive with his football knowledge. And many reports say Mallet has the best footwork and arm in the pocket; and most NFL ready of the bunch.

I also saw the show with Andy Dalton of TCU. Nice kid; certainly more football knowledge than Cam Newton but below Mallet in my opinion.

These are great shows that provide some insight into each of these kids....and quite entertaining. Chucky does a nice job.

off the field issues aside, with an arm like that...he wont make it to the 2nd round.

I tend to side with this argument

dsachde

"Too much evaluation of all of these QBs' mannerisms and potential personality flaws. The teams will have to conduct their own due diligence and decide if they have trustworthy sources - I hope (and assume) they have better sources than QB Camp with Jon Gruden and some random hack writer with Pro Football Weekly."

I saw this tonight too and thought dang Newton is a moron..he couldn't even give Gruden a play name from Auburns playbook lol

Mallet for sure if we draft a QB!

36 and we are off! Everyone change your mocks, he's not going #1. No way...dont buy the hype.

---------- Post added April-20th-2011 at 12:46 AM ----------

I saw this tonight too and thought dang Newton is a moron..he couldn't even give Gruden a play name from Auburns playbook lol

Mallet for sure if we draft a QB!

36 and we are off! Everyone change your mocks, he's not going #1. No way...dont buy the hype.

I have to admit, Mallet was very impressive when it came to the football knowledge portion of the show. Couple that with his tremendous arm and I'm definitely liking the idea of drafting him (assuming the off-the-field issues are determined by the Shannys to be behind him).

I think Mallett will be successful but not a good fit for the skins. Not because of our system/coaches but because of this media market. I see him as Jeff George 2 when our media gets through with him -- where as if he goes to a buffalo/jax/ or another small market team where the media will leave him alone, then maybe he can develop some Favre-like attributes. Just think about it, his first interview will be "did you do drugs, drugs, we hear you have character concerns" etc etc.

Casserly basically said the same thing. This market won't suit him at all - he'd hate this place before minicamp even opened.

How about neither one? The way Mallet talks just reminds me of a kid with a big white T on, and a flat brim hat that raps in the lobby after high school

What does that have to do with him as the football player. Brett Favre comes off as straight country-boy-farmer-dullard yet he seemed to have performed well in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/22998/video-gruden-qb-camp-with-ryan-mallett

Heres the video if anyone is interested. That play he diagrams shows how ready hes is, coming out of a pro style offense. Those are all concepts that will translate to the pros on day 1.

Wow

Just watched both the vids

I'd be surprised if Cam came out of Auburn with the ability to read a comic - never mind an NFL playbook. He's gonna drop down the draft like a whore's drawers.

Not sold on Mallett though. Talks a good fight. I've not seen much discussion about the draftcountdown site - I think they're pretty good and it's not kind about mallett and the way he handles pressure

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Ryan-Mallett.php

I still have to watch the videos but he is starting to grow on me a bit

Also what would be the smarter move if we can't move down? Take him at 10 and keep our 2nd round pick this year and next years 1st and 2nd? Or drafting someone else at 10 and then have to trade away this years 2nd and prob next years 2nd to get back in the 1st round to get him? IDK.

Although I am still convinced (from his mannerisms/attitude) that Mallet DOES indeed have problems with substance abuse of some form... I was also completely blown away by the chalk talk.

The overall interview was pretty awkward at times, (mostly because John Gruden has probably battled a few substances himself) but Mallet was very excited and confident when discussing the X and O's.... After how many horrible things have been said about this kid, this was the first time I ever saw anything that made me want him to be a Redskin. He is unlike any QB prospect I have ever seen- that's for sure.

I learned tonight that Mallet's accent and demeanor make him appear less intelligent than he actually is... While Cam Newton's quick-tongue, smirks, and overused-cliches prove what a giant phony he is.

Although I am still convinced (from his mannerisms/attitude) that Mallet DOES indeed have problems with substance abuse of some form... I was also completely blown away by the chalk talk.

The overall interview was pretty awkward at times, (mostly because John Gruden has probably battled a few substances himself) but Mallet was very excited and confident when discussing the X and O's.... After how many horrible things have been said about this kid, this was the first time I ever saw anything that made me want him to be a Redskin. He is unlike any QB prospect I have ever seen- that's for sure.

I learned tonight that Mallet's accent and demeanor make him appear less intelligent than he actually is... While Cam Newton's quick-tongue, smirks, and overused-cliches prove what a giant phony he is.

This is spot on. I still don't think Mallet would be a good fit for us, but I could see him having a successful career somewhere where he gets good protection and his immobility isnt exposed. But as far as Cam Newton- I cant envision any scenario where he doesn't end up crashing and burning.

He's just not intelligent. And worse, I don't think he's even football smart.

And I also think he's fake and has loads of baggage. I think he's probably a 3rd round pick for my team if I'm a GM. I will be completely shocked if 5 years from now he's a starting QB in the NFL.

Cam called off two of Auburn's plays. Number 36 and number 52. That's exactly how Auburn's plays are designed under Gus Malzahn, by a numbering system. If Gruden or anyone has watched Auburn football the last two years, they should know that. It's all done with flip charts of numbers and colors on the sideline. The Auburn fans don't even understand it but the players do. I've read speculation that the numbers and colors aren't the actual play. They just point the players as to which coach to look at on the sideline and he gives a hand signal for the play, but I don't know if that's true. It's a very complicated system for an opposing team to decipher, but supposedly simple to the players once they have learned it. But to say that Cam couldn't come up with one Auburn play it totally wrong. No quarterback could win a Heisman trophy or a BCS championship without knowing the plays. That's just plain stupid.

Now, will having this type system college slow down Cam's transition to the NFL? Probably, but that doesn't mean he can't learn his team's NFL terminology. I've read that teams he visited sent him a mini playbook to study and several said they were impressed with his retention of the plays.

Most telling to me is his statement about how Brady enters the huddle. Look at that swag, even if you have no idea what's going on you go into the huddle like your the man. What he is missing is that Brady knows exactly what's going, he knows what everyone on the field is doing, and thanks to some camera work he even knows exactly what the defense is doing. Cam seems to think bravado is more important than knowledge.

This kid is a guaranteed bust. I just pray to god he isn't picked by us.

As rave as the reviews of Mallett's chalk talk are, I think people are underselling how good he looked in that section. That was some mensa stuff right there. If that kid's on a drug, I want some, because I'm pretty sure it's some drug that turns you into a Peyton Manning level football genius. There should be no surprise that he's in play for our pick at #10--if we're not looking at him, we're a stupid organization.

I think Cam did fine -- Gruden asked him for a play with a lot of verbiage from the Auburn offense, and there really aren't any. If anything, he described the plays with more nuance than should be expected of such simple concepts. It's pretty clear that he's a perfectionist when it comes to execution, and that should mitigate some of his bust potential.

Speaking of shows, if you watched "Three for the Show" where Locker, Newton and Taylor were featured, it was pretty obvious that Locker was focused on winning, playing hard and being a great teammate and Cam was showing off his trophys and focused on his self. didnt know much about Taylor but he was impressive. Locker is a type of player we need.

There should be no surprise that he's in play for our pick at #10--if we're not looking at him, we're a stupid organization.

I think Mallet is the one player teams will be vying to trade up for. Initially I felt really no one was worth trading up for in the 1st round, but Mallet just might be that guy. Mike and Bruce might be presented with a nice deal to consider or simply choose him outright of course. I'm not sure if Bulger or McNabb will alter teams decisions come draft day, but I suppose it could. Gabbert could be there for the taking too in such a scenario. I'd prefer Mallet over Gabbert by a significant margin personally. I'd trade down with a team interested in Gabbert in a heartbeat if I were Mike or Bruce.

I think both Cam and Mallett did fine on the QB Camp. I thought Dalton didn't come across as high in football intelligence as people give him credit for. The one who really impressed me on the QB camp was Locker. He seemed to have a very good knowledge of his offense compared to the others. He also seemed to me to be the one who was there and wanted to take it as a learning experience. He seemed to me to be paying closer attention to what Gruden was saying and taking notes on his own. The kid is tough too. I could see him pulling a Stafford and coming off the bench with a separated shoulder to play.

If we do go QB, I really hope it's Locker. I am at work, so I can't go pull the video from Lockers visit with Gruden, so I hope someone else does.

Also the edited Grudens QB camp will be tomorrow night at 7 EST on regular ESPN if you don't get ESPN U.

As rave as the reviews of Mallett's chalk talk are, I think people are underselling how good he looked in that section. That was some mensa stuff right there. If that kid's on a drug, I want some, because I'm pretty sure it's some drug that turns you into a Peyton Manning level football genius.

OK lets get some perspective here. I watched the clip and Mallett did a good job drawing up the play and explaining the concept - but frankly that was not a complex play or read progression. He had two hot reads one to either side, a back side post to draw coverage and then a shallow cross and deeper cross which were the primary reads. Breaking that down was not rocket science and does not make him a football genius. A good High School QB should be all over that type of play.

I'm not knocking Mallett here as he did a good job but lets also not get carried away with Peyton Manning comparisons.

Archived