Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Vikings interested in Donovan McNabb

THUNDERDOME

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/report-vikings-interested-in-donovan-mcnabb/

Report: Vikings interested in Donovan McNabb

Posted by Evan Silva on April 18, 2011, 5:19 PM EDT

AP

Rumors and reports of in-limbo Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb interest in the Vikings have been plentiful this offseason. But to this point, there had been no indications that the interest was mutual.

On Monday, the Washington Post cited two people with knowledge of the situation to report that the Vikings are “indeed” one of the teams interested in McNabb.

There’s more.

According to the Post‘s Mike Jones, one league source says no teams are willing to shell out substantial compensation for McNabb because the Redskins “already tipped their hand” that the 34-year-old quarterback has no future in Washington. McNabb is due a whopping $10 million, non-guaranteed bonus if he’s on the Redskins’ roster the day after the first regular season game.

He’d obviously have to rework his contract to make any trade conceivable. If McNabb refuses to restructure, he’ll almost certainly be released. (This sucks)

All of these reports and points are moot, of course, until the lockout ends. There’s a transaction freeze in the NFL.

But if the Vikings don’t emerge from next week’s draft without a quarterback they deem capable of starting in Week One, McNabb appears to be on their list of stopgap targets.

A 3rd or 4th when the CBA is done, and I'd be happy.

But if the Vikings don’t emerge from next week’s draft without a quarterback they deem capable of starting in Week One, McNabb appears to be on their list of stopgap targets.

But anyways, I hope the draft falls in a way that doesn't allow the Vikings a shot at a decent QB prospect.

the 2012 season should be the season where we see a true feel of the future roster. If AH and McNabb are traded, they are for picks in next year's draft We already have a extra 4th

I really wish this would happen, but I don't think that shanny will swallow his pride enough to let Fat Al go. He'll just keep him on the bench all year unless he wants to play for us. When he's motivated, he is really good.

This may make me look like a jerk but I'd hold on to McNabb until the day before the season starts. If teams are going to wait till he's released then I'm going to make them wait a long time. I'm sure that a team like the Vikings (who are built to win now) would prefer to have their QB by the start of training camp. You never know, maybe a QB goes down in preseason and the price could become much higher.

This may make me look like a jerk but I'd hold on to McNabb until the day before the season starts. If teams are going to wait till he's released then I'm going to make them wait a long time. I'm sure that a team like the Vikings (who are built to win now) would prefer to have their QB by the start of training camp. You never know, maybe a QB goes down in preseason and the price could become much higher.

If you're a jerk, you're not alone.

I'd hold onto him too. If a starter at QB goes down for a team who believes they're headed to the SB this season, then the price will go up.

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 05:22 PM ----------

This just further makes me want to push off drafting a QB until next season. We already have an extra 4th, we can get an additional pick for McNabb, and we may get a comp pick for Carlos Rogers. Build up the amunition and go after one of the eilte qbs next season.

My problem with this is that this was the same thing lots of people were saying last season about Locker and Mallet, and about McCoy, Bradford, and Clausen the year before that. Personally, I wished we'd taken Colt McCoy instead of trading for McNabb last season.

It just always seems like people think the next draft class of QBs is going to be better than the current one. With 7 guys that have starting prospects in the NFL, I don't see that next year will be better. This year's Luck was last year's Locker, Leinart was the same too when he stayed in school.

If you're a jerk, you're not alone.

I'd hold onto him too. If a starter at QB goes down for a team who believes they're headed to the SB this season, then the price will go up.

Add me to the jerk column. Unless, of course, we have a real debate at 53.

the 2012 season should be the season where we see a true feel of the future roster. If AH and McNabb are traded, they are for picks in next year's draft We already have a extra 4th

We will probably get two more late round picks (4th and 5th) rounders for AH and DM along with the extra 4th we received for JC last year. That would give us 10 picks in next years draft and a little flexibility.

I'm going to say this is smoke and here is why: TK and others have said for at least a month if not more that the Vikings have had interest in McNabb. My speculation is that the Vikes no longer have interest. Why? Because of the fact that HC Frazier has stated that OC Musgrave would NOT be running a WCO and would run an offense that incorporated WCO sets but attempted to get the ball downfield more often. Does that offense sound familiar?

What the mediots are picking up on was the smoke and dust left from an idea that has been mulled over, rejected and gone.

Quick question--anyone know when the last time was that we had all seven picks in a draft? Or 7+ picks?

I believe right now we're at 8 for next year (a 4th for JC), and could very possibly end up with a couple more from (hopeful) McNabb and/or Haynesworth trades.

If we had 9 or 10 picks going into next year's draft I'd be ecstatic. Pat's have 2 in each of the first three rounds this year...

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 11:40 PM ----------

A WCO offense that tries to get the ball downfield more? That actually sounds a lot like a McNabb offense...

Quick question--anyone know when the last time was that we had all seven picks in a draft? Or 7+ picks?

I believe right now we're at 8 for next year (a 4th for JC), and could very possibly end up with a couple more from (hopeful) McNabb and/or Haynesworth trades.

If we had 9 or 10 picks going into next year's draft I'd be ecstatic. Pat's have 2 in each of the first three rounds this year...

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 11:40 PM ----------

A WCO offense that tries to get the ball downfield more? That actually sounds a lot like a McNabb offense...

Its been at least 5 years since this team has had at least its round 1-7 draft picks.

And the "A WCO offense that tries to get the ball downfield more" is basically what Shanahan runs. What McNabb isn't used to and never got comfortable with was checking down from downfield to shortroutes, which is the opposite of a normal WCO. Musgrave will probably be using that non standard WCO checkdown for his vertical based offense.

Well, I'm not sure that we started out with all of our picks before trades, but we had 10 picks in 2008.

Its been at least 5 years since this team has had at least its round 1-7 draft picks.

And the "A WCO offense that tries to get the ball downfield more" is basically what Shanahan runs. What McNabb isn't used to and never got comfortable with was checking down from downfield to shortroutes, which is the opposite of a normal WCO. Musgrave will probably be using that non standard WCO checkdown for his vertical based offense.

5 years is just sad.

Fair enough. I guess when I hear about a WCO that goes downfield I think of Andy Reid's offense that he tailored to fit McNabb, but I don't know much about the Viks' OC Musgrave (other than that he used to be a Redskins assistant).

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 09:21 PM ----------

[/color]

Well, I'm not sure that we started out with all of our picks before trades, but we had 10 picks in 2008.

I remember that...... I was full of hope with those 10 pick's..... WFT happened!?!?!??!..... lol

According to the Post‘s Mike Jones, one league source says no teams are willing to shell out substantial compensation for McNabb because the Redskins “already tipped their hand” that the 34-year-old quarterback has no future in Washington.

I love it when teams try to argue this. I would just call their bluff and say "Ok then, we'll just release him. Have fun out-bidding the other quarterback-needy teams that want McNabb too."

I'm sure the idea of not getting him at all might persuade them.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 01:55 AM ----------

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 09:21 PM ----------

[/color]

I remember that...... I was full of hope with those 10 pick's..... WFT happened!?!?!??!..... lol

Cerrato happened.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 01:55 AM ----------

In all seriousness, I didn't think Donovan McNabb did too bad last season. He only had thrown one more INT than TD. He passed for over 3,000 yards and was on pace to break Jay Schroeder's 24 year old record for passing yards by a Redskin QB. McNabb made some great plays last year. If Bruce and Mike decide to trade McNabb, they should get a quality player in exchange or at the very least a 5th round draft pick.

The last time we had at least one pick in every round was 1995. That year we had a pick in each round plus an extra 5th rounder for a total of 8 picks.

In 1997 we did have one pick in each of the first 4 rounds and then 4 5th round picks (with no 6th or 7th round pick) for a total of 8 picks in the first 5 rounds which I believe is the most we've ever had within the first 5 rounds of a draft.

The last time we had more than 7 picks in a draft was the infamous disaster known as the 2008 draft. We had 10 picks in that draft when it was all said and done.

I was thinking the same thing.

Archived