Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

$4 per gallon gas today... where does it end???

USS Redskins

:silly:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_electric_car_fees

"Electric vehicles put just as much wear and tear on our roads as gas vehicles," said Democratic state Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen, the bill's lead sponsor. "This simply ensures that they contribute their fair share to the upkeep of our roads."

Other states are trying to find solutions to the same problem, as cars become more fuel-efficient and, now, don't use any gas at all.

In Oregon, lawmakers are considering a bill to charge drivers of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles based on the number of miles they drive. In Mississippi, lawmakers briefly considered a similar plan. In Texas, significant opposition scuttled an electric vehicle fee.

i would like to see comparisons between the fuel used to power gasoline/diesel engines and the fuel used to power the grid (which is then in turn used to power electric cars). i believe a lot of the northeast gets power from niagra falls, but people seem to forget that the electricity for cars has to be produced somewhere. is it just large diesel generators in addition to hydroelectric power?

i would like to see comparisons between the fuel used to power gasoline/diesel engines and the fuel used to power the grid (which is then in turn used to power electric cars). i believe a lot of the northeast gets power from niagra falls, but people seem to forget that the electricity for cars has to be produced somewhere. is it just large diesel generators in addition to hydroelectric power?

I believe that most of the power supplied to the country is from coal.

why is gasoline so expensive, when oil is so far off its record price?

The answer is that the price of oil Americans see every day has little to do with the price of gasoline at the pump.

Those prices are for a particular type of oil -- West Texas Intermediate -- that's stored in Cushing, Okla.

Thanks to increasing supplies from the Rocky Mountain states and Canada's oil sands, plus a lack of pipelines to move that oil out, there's currently a big glut of oil in Cushing. That's pushing the price of West Texas crude down.

Prices for most other types of oil, which make up the vast majority of oil that refiners use in U.S. gasoline, are much higher than West Texas Intermediate. London's Brent crude, for example, was closer to $124 a barrel on Wednesday.

"It's really a broken benchmark," Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service, said of the West Texas price.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/21/markets/oil_gas_prices/index.htm?iid=EAL

We are in the process of putting in more pipelines to reduce the logjam(which could have been avoided by expanding refining up there)

of course that will increase the cost of gasoline for the Mid-West to nearer our levels and may reduce others costs

Better hope the refining down here stays online though(as usual)

see if you can guess where I live

usrefineries.gif

http://www.willisms.com/archives/2005/09/trivia_tidbit_o_177.html

It does not matter when speculation keeps driving up prices, it is time to end the commodities market as it was just set up to prevent suppliers from getting paid supply and demand prices at the time of sale

I see Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Evil Speculators is re-running on cable again.

akcs-www?get_gallerynr=1523

The white line is the dollar. The green/red line is the price of oil.

The price of dollar has nothing to do with it.

Well, gosh, at least you backed up this incredibly bold (not to mention absurd) claim with some evidence.

Price of oil from the oil sands in Canada should not be affected by a war in Libya where they are producing sweet crude that is used in diesel but it is.

True, nothing else could possibly be pushing up the price of oil from Canada.

You are not paying the price of what is costing to get oil out of the sands of from West Texas or from the wells in the east and west coast of Canada.

The most exspensive of all those is from the oil sand in Alberta and right now is not costing any where near the going price for oil.

---------- Post added April-24th-2011 at 06:10 PM ----------

Ah ...it's the Canadians fault....INVADE

might as well put your chart away Hubbs

Well they have a labour shortage right now in Alberta right now working in the oil fields and other related fields.

The wages are good I was sort of seeing a girl up there when I lived in Alberta and she was making 100,000 studying sand samples

You are not paying the price of what is costing to get oil out of the sands of from West Texas or from the wells in the east and west coast of Canada.

The most exspensive of all those is from the oil sand in Alberta and right now is not costing any where near the going price for oil.

When I buy corn, I don't pay what it cost to grow a stalk, either.

Here we go, from Legend of the Evil Speculators Thread #2....

SPECULATORS have bought 15 per cent of the world's supplies of agricultural products such as sugar, wheat and cocoa, which has driven up food inflation, a new report has shown.

Hedge funds and other financial institutions have ploughed a record £76 billion into basic food stuffs, more than double the level three years ago, Barclays Capital said.

The price of food has soared to levels not seen since 2008, when food riots swept the developing world.

http://business.scotsman.com/fooddrinkagriculture/Speculators-driving-up-food-inflation.6757281.jp

And you see stories like this around the globe

There are a number of interesting things that DR seems to be implying here, but I find the most interesting one to be the notion that if speculators are involved, all other factors can be dismissed. (See: Claiming that the value of the dollar has nothing to do with the price of oil.)

---------- Post added April-24th-2011 at 07:30 PM ----------

No the cost of harvesting storing and the cost of retailing it.

Really? The costs of harvesting, storing, and retailing corn have all doubled in a year?

You sure about that?

If I start about buying large amounts of the world's oil up is that not going to drive prices up much faster?

Dollar value and population growth will contibute but at a much slower rate.

Of course if we got into how climate change is also affecting crops well that just be part of the whole conspiracy that right talk about as complete bunk and thus no need to do anything about carbon emmissions

---------- Post added April-24th-2011 at 07:43 PM ----------

Yes, ignoring why speculators are flocking to commodities gives a incomplete picture

The chance to make more money off of basic human needs funny how a market set up to protect farmers from what happens when supply is larger than demand is now hurting consumer by creating a specualtion of what future demand may be.

Archived