Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Redskins Reconstruction - Quarterbacks

Hitman21ST

http://www.csnwashington.com/03/24/11/Redskins-Reconstruction-Quarterback/landing.html?blockID=468675&feedID=6304

Hap posted this in BRBN a few days ago, but I just got around to reading it today, and it brought up an interesting point.

Alex Smith could very well be a FA once it starts. If he is, he's got the athleticism and can make all the throws, and has shows glimpses of top ability. He seems like a better prospect than Grossman right now, and he's only 26, so if he pans out he would be a good pickup.

It seems like a low-risk, high-reward pickup IF it's a free agent signing, especially if we draft a Ponder or Dalton to be the primary backup.

Just a thought

If you're going to go with a veteran afro some period of time just as a stop gap, why not just go with grossman? He knows the system, and he's a known quantity. It makes no sense to me to bring in another vet as a stop gap if the heir apparent is already on the roster.

Heck, if it's just a stop gap, just keep mcnabb and be done with. So he's not the perfect fit. He's better than all the other retreads out there.

If you need another guy in camp to compete, then yeah, Alex Smith isn't the worst option.

But I think Rex makes the most sense as the stop-gap guy unless Beck shows something.

For one thing, he knows the system. And a new QB might not have any time at all to learn the system because of the lockout.

For another, he played pretty damn well with his entire career on the line. I know his teammates believe in him.

i'm shocked that his numbers are far better than i thought the past 2 years. of course, numbers can lie. i cant recall the last time i tuned in to watch a niners game, so theres very little to go on for me other than what i read.

he's had, i think, 5 coordinators in 6 seasons. turmoil in the HC department. pressure from being the first overall pick (and has had to watch rodgers win a super bowl while he's won zilch). outside of davis at TE, i dont recall any weapons to throw to.

looks like he's had his moments. guess he would be worth a look if he was a FA.

heres a few notes from 2008.

Scouting report: An accurate passer who is very intelligent and has excellent leadership skills. He reads coverages well, works hard and is very mature.

Buyer beware: Smith played in a gimmicky offense at Utah and will have to adjust to taking snaps from under center in order to adjust to the NFL. His arm strength has been questioned.

Why 49ers will draft him: Smith has all the intangibles, is very coachable and has only scratched the surface of his vast potential.

Why it won't happen: Cal QB Aaron Rodgers, who visits today, is closer to being a finished product and the 49ers need immediate help.

Quotable: "While (Smith is) not the next John Elway or Troy Aikman, lacking that type of arm strength, the overall package of skills he brings to the table definitely makes him deserving of a lofty NFL grade." -- Mel Kiper Jr., draft expert.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/6/18/554001/alex-smith-vs-aaron-rodger

I mentioned Alex Smith a while back on the board and thinks he has a chance given his age and ability. If you bring him in, you don't being him in to start right away, you basically treat him like you would a draft pick and bring him along slowly behind a Grossman. He has the physical talent, and it could be an instance where a change of scenery is needed.

I'm not suggesting this is the absolute way to go, but this is a good plan B if you decide there's nobody in the draft worthy of an early selection.

heres another scouting report from 2005. with his high completion percentage and excellent W-L record, i wonder how he stacks up in ASF's model?

Alex Smith is a mobile quarterback with good quickness, agility, and awareness. He has a solid throwing motion, and he displayed fantastic accuracy completing 68% of his passes his senior year. He has the athletic ability to be a threat running the ball as well as throwing it.

Smith is also a very intelligent quarterback who reads defenses well and makes good, quick decisions. He has a tremendous work ethic on the field as well as in the film room, and he displays good leadership qualities.

The junior from Utah doesn't possess the strongest arm in the draft and might fit best in a West Coast style of offense, but he can make all the throws to be successful in the NFL, and he remains accurate when he's on the run. He has good, quick footwork, sound mechanics, and a high release point.

With the lack of a bona fide potential superstar quarterback in the 2005 NFL Draft, Smith's stock has risen higher than it probably would have in most years. Some draft boards have him as the No. 1 selection overall, but I think he'll be the second QB off the board behind California's Aaron Rogers.

Stats

In three seasons at Utah, Smith completed 389-of-587 pass attempts for 5,203 yards and 47 touchdowns while throwing just 8 interceptions. He also ran 286 times for 1,072 yards and 15 touchdowns.

During his junior season, in which he led the Utes to a perfect 12-0 record, he completed 214-of-317 pass attempts (67.5%) for 2,952 yards and 32 touchdowns with just four interceptions. He also ran 135 times for 631 yards and 10 touchdowns.

http://football.about.com/od/playerprofiles/p/alexsmith.-Gwn.htm

If you're going to go with a veteran afro some period of time just as a stop gap, why not just go with grossman? He knows the system, and he's a known quantity. It makes no sense to me to bring in another vet as a stop gap if the heir apparent is already on the roster.

Heck, if it's just a stop gap, just keep mcnabb and be done with. So he's not the perfect fit. He's better than all the other retreads out there.

I like Bulger better because of his ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly. I was extremely impressed by his play with the Ravens last preseason and with a pretty good o-line and run game, he can be very effective.

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 03:35 AM ----------

I like Bulger better because of his ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly. I was extremely impressed by his play with the Ravens last preseason and with a pretty good o-line and run game, he can be very effective.

I've seen Alex smith play slot being my best friend is a niners fan. You would think a guy like smith would have already been run out of town. While there are niner fans who want gabbert there is also a big percentage that feel like Alex smith has gotten a raw deal. They feel as if the coaching staff has been pretty poor the past few years, the play calling of Jimmy raye has been poo, and the tough nosed run the ball down your throat of singletary really hasn't done much to help bring along Alex.

My friend wants them to take peterson if he somehow falls to them and if he doesn't then Quinn or miller and end up taking a qb in the second round to groom incase smith doesn't pan out.

The niners should have been 10-6 minimum with their schedule last year. They had one of the easiest in the league and play division opponents twice. On offense they have Vernon Davis, frank gore, Michael crabtree, delanie walker, Brian Westbrook, Tedd Ginny. Not to mention Joe staley who is a quality left tackle and they drafted two lineman in the first round last year. On dine they Justin smith, abrayo Franklin, and isaaca sopoga(forgot spelling) they got patrickwillis, takeo spikes, paryls harralson, manny Lawson, and young guys like Navarro bowman and Ahmad Brooks. Their secondary is probably their weakest link but guys like Nate Clements and dashaun goldson are quality players and have a anthletic freak as a project at SS in Taylor mays.

Point being is they have more talent then any team in their division by far but their coaching has been horrendous. I even told my friend that their offense reminded me a lot of the redskins under zorn, that's how bad the play calling was. There is a solid belief among many that Alex smith will only get better especially with what they feel will be quality coaching in Jim harbaugh.

If Alex smith makes it a FA then I would have no problem signing him. I will say I am on the Rex bandwagon, the guys has only two full seasons of game time in his career and never with a quality supporting cast on offense.

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 01:05 AM ----------

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 03:35 AM ----------

I like bulger too but not for the skins. He is very accurate, smart, and has a quick release but he got mind****ed up in stlouis all those years. On a team with a great oline and quality players just looking for a veteran bulger would be perfect. He's just not right for us plus Rex will be in his third year of this offense. Get him some protection and a weapon or two and I think Rex could light it up.

Other good fits: [Alex Smith] Although the Redskins should try to get a younger prospect, Marc Bulger, former Rams and current Ravens QB, may be a better stopgap than Rex Grossman. ... Bruce Gradkowski of the Raiders is 27 and a gritty leader and, again, may be preferable to Grossman in the short term.

If they're looking for a 'stop gap' why not just play John Beck?

And if Tandler thinks Bruce Gradkowski is a good fit why not: Matt Lienart? or Troy Smith or Tarvaris Jackson or Vince Young

I would rather see any of the above then Rex Grossman

If they're looking for a 'stop gap' why not just play John Beck?

And if Tandler thinks Bruce Gradkowski is a good fit why not: Matt Lienart? or Troy Smith or Tarvaris Jackson or Vince Young

I would rather see any of the above then Rex Grossman

I like Bulger better because of his ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly

I like Bulger better because of his ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly

Bulger likely views himself as more then a stop gap QB plus he's 33.

I think Bulger ends up in Arizona.

Those guys I mentioned are still young enough to have be part of the future if they can perform.

People's memory's of Grossman the B&G are too wrapped up in his first start in Dallas, which was mixed to say the least. But he nearly lead the team to a comeback win, and was proficient in the red zone, so McNabb's woe's were quickly forgotten. For someone SO averse in Kyle's system, through 4 games here he's a 55.6 completion average, has 7 TD's with 4 INT's; taken 9 sacks; fumbled 4 times for 4 loses; and won 1 of 4 games. (3 starts, and the end of the Lions loss which he fumbled away any chance of a comeback.). Throw in an INT and fumble in his brief part game in Houston, and yeah, this guys a "beast" in the system. (ALL irony intended.).

He'll stay, because he's cheap and Kyle likes him, but please, for the love of our collective nerve ends next year:

KEEP INTERCEPTUS REXUS OFF THE FIELD OF PLAY!

Oh, as to the OP, I'll pass on Smith. Grossman but younger. And not getting much better as his career rolls.

Hail.

look, I don't think Grossman is "the guy" either, but nobody mentioned in this thread is any better. Alex Smith? are you kidding me? Have you seen this guy play? He's an abomination of a QB. He should not start for anyone, let alone a downfield passing attack. Marc Bulger? Sure, maybe if we had Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt in their late prime.

look, I don't think Grossman is "the guy" either, but nobody mentioned in this thread is any better. Alex Smith? are you kidding me? Have you seen this guy play? He's an abomination of a QB. He should not start for anyone, let alone a downfield passing attack. Marc Bulger? Sure, maybe if we had Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt in their late prime.

i defintely havent seen much of smith, but i have read more positives about him than negatives. outside of sitting around and watching a bunch of complete games, its all i have to go on. from what i've read and given the lack of stability around him (OC, HC, 30th ranked o line in pass pro, according to football outsiders, you name it) and lack of WR's, i could see picking him up at a low price.

When "Interceptus Rexus" has actually had a receiver to throw to in the NFL who was actually drafted and not a member of AARP, he's done pretty well in this league. One full season - one SB with the second most improved offense (yardage) in the NFL. And hopefully he'll play with a center who actually likes the shotgun fomration someday.

Enough with the stats, back to the hype ...

I'm hoping that Mike Shanahan keeps Donovan McNabb. It was McNabb's first year in the offense last year and he was well on his way to 4,000 yards plus passing before Grossman was inserted as the starter in week 13. McNabb can still play at a high level. He proved it quite a few times last season.

I'm hoping that Mike Shanahan keeps Donovan McNabb. It was McNabb's first year in the offense last year and he was well on his way to 4,000 yards plus passing before Grossman was inserted as the starter in week 13. McNabb can still play at a high level. He proved it quite a few times last season.

McNabb had 2 games with 2 TD's, and never had a game with more than 2 TD's.

Basically, he threw for a bunch of yardage because we threw the ball a lot and played from behind a decent amount. But he didn't do anything really noteworthy with those yards. He didn't put many points on the board.

So how did he show that he can still play at a high level? He was approaching 500 passing attempts...of course he was on pace for 4,000+ yards with that many passes...and he would have been much closer to that number when he was benched if he didn't have a 58% completion percentage.

His numbers came from quantity, not quality. Not good, and not high-level play.

McNabb had 2 games with 2 TD's, and never had a game with more than 2 TD's.

Basically, he threw for a bunch of yardage because we threw the ball a lot and played from behind a decent amount. But he didn't do anything really noteworthy with those yards. He didn't put many points on the board.

So how did he show that he can still play at a high level? He was approaching 500 passing attempts...of course he was on pace for 4,000+ yards with that many passes...and he would have been much closer to that number when he was benched if he didn't have a 58% completion percentage.

His numbers came from quantity, not quality. Not good, and not high-level play.

Ok then. Do we keep him or do we release him after the draft?

Ok then. Do we keep him or do we release him after the draft?

Honestly, I think we release him, as late as possible, before his $10 million is due, waiting to see if a CBA will get done. He's not worth that contract, and if the CBA does get done, and we can't trade him, I still don't see him coming back. We can pay Grossman way less, especially if there's a rookie being groomed to take over.

It's interesting how the incoming SF Coach Harbaugh had been praising Smith but now he's a free agent? Apparently, Smith really wants out of San Francisco, or Harbaugh doesn't want him anymore.

If you believe Harbaugh's praise, Smith would make a good pickup for the team. Maybe with a year or two in a consistent offense, Smith could develop some feel for 'his' offense. Hwever, I suspect Smith still wants to come in as the starting QB, and that might be a problem for Shanahan & Co..

Another red-flag on Smith might be --- after so many losing seasons, can Smith become a 'winner' in attitude and on the field? This is not to overstate some 'psychological factor' but I'vre noted successful QBs have to believe in their 'winner's edge.' -The QB has to be a leader of the offense, confident in seizing victory from opportunity, and sparking that same 'winning is inevitable' attitude in his team-mates to elevate their games. After so many years of losing, can Smith overcome his history and re-write his future as someone who emerges a winner during crunch-time?

Archived