Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Canadian government falls, election set for May

visionary

Canadian government falls, election set for May

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/25/us-canada-politics-idUSTRE72O0U820110325

(Reuters) - Angry opposition parties brought down Canada's Conservative government on Friday, setting the scene for an early May election that polls indicate the Conservatives will win.

Legislators voted 156-145 in the House of Commons to defeat the minority government, which they say is tainted by sleaze, has mismanaged the economy and is overly secretive.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who says an election will harm an economic recovery that is still uncertain, was due to make a statement to the media at about 2 p.m. (1800 GMT).

He will visit Governor-General David Johnston, the acting head of state, early on Saturday to seek the formal dissolution of Parliament and set a date for the election. The most likely dates are May 2 or May 9.

The Conservatives, in power since 2006 with two successive minority governments, are riding high. Polls show Harper is set to hold on to power in an election and most likely strengthen his position.

i admit i don't understand canadian politics at all.

the only thing i remember is that Senators are appointed and have no real function, so are legendary for being lazy, worthless drones. (which, by the way, is why the "dad" character on "you can't do that on television" was a senator. i think most americans never got that joke!)

Maybe this explains it...but I'm still confused

The Conservatives have responded with charges the Liberals, the left-leaning New Democrats and the separatist Bloc Quebecois are planning to form a coalition government.

Ignatieff, accused by Conservatives of plotting a coalition, said: "That's completely absurd. I will always accept the results of a democratic election."

Despite the discouraging poll numbers, the opposition thinks it can benefit from a series of ethical scandals to hit the Conservatives, who came to power promising to clean up Ottawa.

"There are only two alternatives here -- more of this disrespect for democracy, more of this contempt for the Canadian people, or a compassionate responsible Liberal government," said Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff.

This week, a parliamentary committee slapped the government with the first contempt ruling in Canada's history, saying the Conservatives had hidden the full costs of a spending program.

Harper says that if he does not win a majority in the forthcoming election, the Liberals, the left-leaning New Democrats and the separatist Bloc Quebecois are planning to form an unstable coalition government.

From this part of the article, I guess that the opposition thinks they can take away some of the conservatives' support because of the scandals and give themselves enough of a boost to put together enough combined votes to outnumber the conservatives' votes if they form a coalition.

This was a dumb move by the opposition parties

They would have been better served by seeking to work out issues on the budget.

The so called scandals are not that huge and if the PM is having the RCMP investigate it is hard to claim a cover up

Cutting corporate taxes right now is stupid also, I think the smarter thing to do is leave it where it is right now espicially since you want to increase your military spending

But I think the universal day care idea by the Liberals is good, it does two three things that I see as a benefit.

1 Provides care for single parents and low income famalies allowing them to work

2 Put more money in the pockets of parents who will spend that money in the economy

3 If you really want to promote a pro life type of agenda than what better way then to show people you will get help but you will also have to work so having a child will not cripple you financially or put in a place where you need to collect welfare

the opposition already did this to Harper's Government, and he won more seats with less people voting. If the current polls hold, then even less will vote and Harper might get a small majority or very close to it. I would laugh if Harper got 2 or 3 seats from a majority and had to partner with the Green party (if they finally win a seat) or try to steal a few Liberals, who will be looking to jump ship if they lose ground.

If this opposition party gets less seats or there is lower voter turnout, then I think all of those who voted for this election should be banned from running for office ever again, since they clearly are not representing the interests of the people, which really is there most important mandate if not only one.

The last thing I want is a coalition government, because they will waste so much $ on cutting some of Harper's programs simply because they have already painted them as evil ( the new fighter jets), and then the budget will give all the parties a bit of what they want while losing focus on the overall picture. It would be a gigantic mess that could kill what little momentum the economy has. We would also be inviting a carbon tax, which could be the dumbest idea ever conceived.

I really have no politic affiliation to speak off, I am fairly Liberal on most issues, but I do support this Harper Governement because all the others look like they are playing a political power game and really do not care about this country or where it is headed. I know, and I think most Canadians know that all politicians are dirty, and the dirtiest ones are the ones currently in power. I really do not think and hope that most Canadians care about Bev Oda or the other contempt charge.

I am really getting tired of putting national policy on hold to go vote. I am almost to the point where I would vote Communist just so I don't have to vote anymore. I live in Hamilton, which is a NDP stronghold, which is kinda like Communism, just a little bit more left.

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 08:10 PM ----------

Woah. First Tunisia, then Egypt, now Canada.

The sad thing is, one serious disillusioned opposition party member will draw that compairison during the campaign. I think that some in the Liberal party,who ultimately want to clean house, secertly wish Iggy would say it just so he throws himself under the bus and saves them the effort.

You would have to be a crackhead to vote for Iggy's Liberals, who's only platform so far has been to overthrow Harper.

:ols:

Lets waste more money on elections.

Don't think the conservatives are going to lose support, everything is going well atm or improving. Why change whats working is probably what everyone's thinking.

Every time I watch the news or read the newspaper and I see something politics related, I either skip it or enjoy a laugh at how ridiculous it is. Its like watching little kids fight and point fingers at each other instead of actually trying to fix whats broken.

The Bloc Quebecois are an absolute joke, lets not even get started on those guys. They have no support here in Montreal, especially among the younger voters.

Conservatives though have been gearing up for this for a year.

The attack ads on the Liberal leader are sad. Which ever party is governing should be able to run on defending their actions and explaining to the people how they have benefited from under the rulership of whatever government is in power.

Archived