Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does that crow taste, Peter King?

bcl05

Once in a great while, at least this idiot admits when he's wrong.

- from this weeks MMQB

---------------------

Coach of the Week

Washington head coach Steve Spurrier, for his play-calling in the Redskins' 16-13 win last Thursday night over the Jets. Now, I was pretty rough at times last year on the ol' Ball Coach, but rightfully so, I thought. He kept trying to make a passing team out of a bunch of Shane Matthewses and Darnerian McCantses, when he had solid rushers Stephen Davis and Ladell Betts in-house. On Thursday, time and again, he pounded Betts at the Jets. And instead of trying to throw downfield twice a series, as he often did last year, he used Patrick Ramsey judiciously. Everyone knows Ramsey has to be managed to be effective, and Spurrier used the short-passing game to perfection in the first half when Ramsey went 12 of 13. The offense wasn't successful all the time; in fact, the Jets held Washington down pretty consistently in the second half until the last drive, leading to John Hall's winning field goal. "It's like Steve said after the game," Redskins director of player personnel Vinny Cerrato told me over the weekend. "He's learned how to win in this league now."

---------------------

4. I think my preseason predictions are off to a fine start. I said the Rams would win the Super Bowl, and they fumbled six times and ran for 40 yards and, well, you know the rest. They lost to the Giants. I predicted Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer would be MVP. He threw three picks in a win over the Cincinnati Kittycats. Raiders TE Teyo Johnson, my co-rookie of the year? Catchless.

- Kind of like DW throwing for 3500?

Originally posted by bcl05

Once in a great while, at least this idiot admits when he's wrong.

- from this weeks MMQB

---------------------

---------------------

4. I think my preseason predictions are off to a fine start. I said the Rams would win the Super Bowl, and they fumbled six times and ran for 40 yards and, well, you know the rest. They lost to the Giants. I predicted Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer would be MVP. He threw three picks in a win over the Cincinnati Kittycats. Raiders TE Teyo Johnson, my co-rookie of the year? Catchless.

- Kind of like DW throwing for 3500?

Just like I said, what makes them any more of an expert than you or I. They may have an inroads to making a phone call to an exec for some inside info, but that doesn't make them experts.

So now suddenly King thinks Betts is a "solid-rusher" when just a week ago, he couldn't stop yapping about the Skins poor backfield.

Do some freaking homework next time Fat-boy and maybe you won't end up with all that crow on your face. Oh and btw, nice picks with the Rams and Plummer...

and this guy is considered to be an NFL expert! What is wrong with the world?

Ramsey does need managing. As good as I think he can be, he still is at the point on his learning curve that the coaching staff needs to help him by keeping him out of losing situations as much as possible, such as second/third-and-long for example. I'm working with the assumption that this is what King meant.

But if he meant that that's all Ramsey will ever be is another Trent Dilfer-esque "game manager", then I have to disagree based upon what I've seen, although the jury of course remains out.

Again, I don't expect any more from King, so I don't get all that upset by his crap.

Well, I don't know if Ramsey will always have to be managed, but he sure did Thrusday night. It was great to see Spurrier realize Ramsey had cooled off and adjust accordingly instead of insisting his system would work if he would just stick with it (*cough*MikeMartz*cough*). Let's all not forget last year against the Eagles. I don't ever want to see that again.

Apparently Milloy ripped King a new one yesterday:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/peter_king/09/08/mmqb/index.html

In some ways, I feel sorry for Milloy. He's furious with me for reporting the tampering story, and I can't repeat what he said to me in a hallway outside the Bills' locker room after Sunday's game against his former club. Suffice it to say he was fairly strident in telling me never to approach him again as long as I dwell on the planet earth, with quite a bit of emphasis. But I think it's a shame he won't be considered a New England icon when he retires, as he should be. That fact is Anderson's biggest regret about the deal. Milloy was setting himself up, through his foundation and through his many charitable works in the area, to be a big man in New England, a champion forever, long after he hung up his uniform. Now, as I told him when we spoke on Friday, he's destined to be regarded -- for right or wrong -- as just another guy who left town for the money, like Roger Clemens did.

I agree with Redman and Henry (and I guess King) about Ramsey. He's a good talent and he's played well at times. But this guy isn't going to just play great all of a sudden. He does need to be managed and that's OK at this point in his career. I don't even think it's a knock. He's a second-year QB playing for a QB coach....manage him up!!

Don't forget Ramsey is still half a rookie. And a good running game is the young QB's best friend.

As much as I luv the kid, you can't put the game on his shoulders yet and expect him to win it singlehandledly. So yes he does have to be "managed" -- for now.

No substitute for time in the saddle.

do you know any qb in the NFL that is not being 'managed' ? :)

even Brett Favre has been roped in by Mike Sherman to some degree.

there is too much at stake now with the short leashes that coaches get to win, to allow players to go on the field and make things up as they go along.

well, okay, maybe outside of Atlanta where it is clear that Vick IS the team :)

Originally posted by Posse81

Apparently Milloy ripped King a new one yesterday:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/peter_king/09/08/mmqb/index.html

Milloy was setting himself up, through his foundation and through his many charitable works in the area, to be a big man in New England, a champion forever, long after he hung up his uniform. Now, as I told him when we spoke on Friday, he's destined to be regarded -- for right or wrong -- as just another guy who left town for the money, like Roger Clemens did.

Umm...wasn't Milloy cut? It's not like he left town as a free agent.

All of the faux-experts were driving me nuts. King wasn't the only one dissing Spurrier's play calling, and saying he passed too much. Of course, they do little to no research, and completely failed to analyze SOS's play-calling as it evolved throughout the season. For example. in the last three games of 2002, the run-pass ratio was as follows:

30 rushes, 28 passes.

46 rushes, 31 passes.

37 runs, 31 passes.

And now they act surprised at last Thursday's ratio, claim some type of credit for knowing that to be successful, Spurrier needs to run the ball, as if SOS was watching ESPN and had an epiphany when he was listening to Salisbury or Schlereth or Hoge. Give me a break. He'll run when he needs to, and pass when he needs to. He flipped out a little bit in the mid-season game (Jacksonville, heh) but in general, these people fail to realize just how much less intelligent and capable of crafting a game plan and managing the game that they are than the OBC.

...Everyone knows Ramsey has to be managed to be effective, ...

What the f is this supposed to mean?

How did he 'manage' to up-end a DT and throw a 50 yard pass?

How did he 'manage' to scramble for 24 yards in a clutch drive?

Clearly, he must have been 'managed' and restrained by sonmone for this to have happened.

I want this guy's address.

Does "managing" Ramsey involve him making 24 yard runs he's never made in his entire football career? Ramsey needs to keep using his courage and smarts to make big plays which has nothing to do with being managed. Does Michael Vick need to be "managed"? Does Brett Favre need to be managed? Does Jeff George need to be managed?... (well, maybe Jeff George ;-)

Spurrier's too hands off, but he's criticized when he "manages" his QB protege.

Spurrier's is too pass oriented, but he remains too pass oriented despite running more at the end of last year, throughout the preseason, and in Game 1 (with a winning record through those games).

These guys write in circles. Too bad their inconsistencies can't be publicized to the degree their asinine comments are.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

I agree with Redman and Henry (and I guess King) about Ramsey. He's a good talent and he's played well at times. But this guy isn't going to just play great all of a sudden. He does need to be managed and that's OK at this point in his career. I don't even think it's a knock. He's a second-year QB playing for a QB coach....manage him up!!

I think that's the problem a lot of us have with the pundits. Of course, PR will not play great all of the sudden and all of the time, but almost all of the "experts" acted like PR could NEVER play great even some of the time.

Archived