Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are the Redskins called the Redskins? Is it because of William "Lone Star" Dietz?

Super Bowl XVII

Why are the Redskins called the Redskins? Here is a very likely reason:

William "Lone Star" Dietz.

William "Lone Star" Dietz attended the Carlisle Indian school (Jim Thorpe, Pop Warner, Isaac Seneca, etc.). The Indians were very popular in the early 20th century.

The Redskins became the Boston Redskins in 1933. In 1932, their first year as an organization, they were the Boston Braves. They changed their name in their second season. That name change coincided with Lone Star taking over the head coaching position. It is a possibility that that is why the team chose the name "Redskins," but why would George Preston Marshall, a racist (according to much documentation), change the name in honor of a Native-American? I talked to a local author from Carlisle and here is what he said:

"Lone Star Dietz was hired to be head coach of the Boston Braves after the 1932 season. Sometime after his hiring, the team moved to Fenway Park necessitating a name change. I have seen Boston Braves stationery with Dietz’s name on it. That shows that he was hired before the name change. George Preston Marshall’s granddaughter wrote an op-ed to the “Washington Post” some years ago in which she stated that Marshall renamed the team in honor of Dietz (and, possibly, of the four Haskell players Dietz brought with him). Dietz coached the Boston Redskins in 1933 and 1934. This is all spelled out in my biography of Dietz."

"Marshall was a racist when it came to black players. He apparently didn’t have any problems with Indians and his decision to not interrupt the 12/7/1941 game to announce the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor probably doesn’t have anything to do with race. My sense is that he wasn’t a Japanese apologist; he just didn’t want to lose money from concessions and disrupt his players. He was a hard-nosed businessman who didn’t like losing money and who wanted to win a championship."

Tom Benjey

Author of Keep A-goin’: the life of Lone Star Dietz

http://www.tuxedo-press.com/

There have been many explanations given about where the Redskins got their name from. I am not sure which explanation is the correct one, but this makes a lot of sense to me.

Another theory. Back in the 1930s the football team shared the nickname of the baseball team or a likeness whom they shared a stadium with. New York Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Yankees, Chicago Bears (with the Cubs) of course were all football teams. When we were the Braves we shared the Boston Braves' baseball stadium. When we moved out of Braves Field to Fenway we became the Red Skins(Red Sox). Like I said, just a theory.

I think it was probably a combo of factors listed above, the most prominent being the ballparks they played in and the MLB teams the upstart NFL franchises wanted to be affiliated with.

What I'm thinking. At that time baseball was America's passion and the NFL was a new league that had little support and a lot of critics thinking a pro league for football would never work. I think sharing team nicknames gave NFL teams a connection to the baseball teams in hoping to get some hometeam spirit. Sort of a marketing move.

There were some small town teams at the time too like Green Bay and Muncie(IN) that was pretty much free to be named whatever. It was more popular in these places at the time because it was the only game in town. Green Bay(semi pro at the time) got its name from Indian Packing Company (I think a big butcher packing company) because that company paid for the uniforms. Teams like the Muncie Flyers and Canton Bulldogs already existed in some form as semi pro teams that got added to the NFL.

From what I understand we were actually a defunct franchise rights bought and restarted. Duluth Eskimos.

Regardless of the original intent, the name is dated and it's time to change for the better. You don't have to agree with me, but that's how I feel.

You don't think we'd lose our identity with a change? With the name "Redskins" being associated with this franchise for the last 78 years, and all 74 in Washington, that's a heck of lineage to suddenly re-brand. Ask most Americans about Washington, and outside of the President I'm betting the Redskins would be a very popular reply. It seem's to me to re-brand and move away from the name you've built everything on for the past 78 years, for the sake of appeasing a minority of American Indians who happen to take offense; is being prejudiced to the majority who associate the name with one of the Country's longest standing sports franchises.

Each to their own prerogative, but I'll stick with the ol' adage "If it aint' broke, don't fix it."

Hail.

What I'm thinking. At that time baseball was America's passion and the NFL was a new league that had little support and a lot of critics thinking a pro league for football would never work. I think sharing team nicknames gave NFL teams a connection to the baseball teams in hoping to get some hometeam spirit. Sort of a marketing move.

Totally.

The reason GPM moved the home games from Braves Field to Fenway Park was bc the Red Sox gave him a better deal. A deal worthy of changing the franchise name.

Pro Football at the time was less important than MLS today. MLB was still 20 years away from peaking at it's all time popularity in the post war 1950s, while pro football still had another 40 years before it would rule American sports.

You don't think we'd lose our identity with a change? With the name "Redskins" being associated with this franchise for the last 78 years, and all 74 in Washington, that's a heck of lineage to suddenly re-brand. Ask most Americans about Washington, and outside of the President I'm betting the Redskins would be a very popular reply. It seem's to me to re-brand and move away from the name you've built everything on for the past 78 years, for the sake of appeasing a minority of American Indians who happen to take offense; is being prejudiced to the majority who associate the name with one of the Country's longest standing sports franchises.

Each to their own prerogative, but I'll stick with the ol' adage "If it aint' broke, don't fix it."

Hail.

this is correct.

the name 'redskins' is dated? ok.

You don't think we'd lose our identity with a change?

We probably would lose our ID in the short term, but I don't know if that's such a bad thing at this point.

Even if the Redskins start winning, the name change controversy isn't ever going to go away.

I'm looking at the big picture in the long run, not just the short term gains this ownership micro focuses on.

The good will brought about by the name change would have long term benefits outweighing the short term moaning from the fanbase.

I really don't see it as an issue RFK man.

It's a very small minority of Native American Indians that your trying to appease. No matter what you do, there's always going to be someone that complains about something. If it's not having an adverse effect, and even when the media try make a big hopp-la over a court case from said minority it never really affected anything in reality; I personally don't see why we should forsake 78 years of history for the sake of a few.

Hail.

It's a very small minority of Native American Indians that your trying to appease.

When I introduce myself as a Skins fan on other NFL boards, someone will usually chime in about the name being racist. It gets old knowing that it's never going to stop as long as we have the name. It's like GPM fighting integration for as long as he could, all the while knowing that eventually we'd have to give in as a team.

When I introduce myself as a Skins fan on other NFL boards, someone will usually chime in about the name being racist. It gets old knowing that it's never going to stop as long as we have the name.

Hey, Einstein, they're saying that for the explicit purpose of getting under your skin. If we change our name they'll simply find something else to rib you about.

When I introduce myself as a Skins fan on other NFL boards, someone will usually chime in about the name being racist. It gets old knowing that it's never going to stop as long as we have the name. It's like GPM fighting integration for as long as he could, all the while knowing that eventually we'd have to give in as a team.

There I have to respectfully disagree man. The Preston-Marshall analogy is totally out of context as regards the name as far as I'm concerned.

ANYONE approaching this organizations name with a racist slant is both taking it so far out of context it's not even funny; and, IMHO, is someone who is approaching it with their own bigoted agenda. (And if it's coming from a "fan" of an opposing team on another message board; then their no more than an agitator trying to get a reaction.).

All I can say to that is to be the bigger man and not react to anyone trying to antagonize you over the name; as wearsome as it gets at times. To change would be akin to letting those same bigots win. Even more ironic when, to all intents and purposes, we aren't doing a thing wrong.

Hail.

i have posted this countless times so let me make it clear.

according to the "redskins encyclopedia" the name was changed when marshall moved the team to the redsox stadium and the name was changed to make it more synonymous with the RED sox.

THIS is how we got our name. no other reason. all the rest are urban legends!

---------- Post added March-17th-2011 at 12:34 PM ----------

Another theory. Back in the 1930s the football team shared the nickname of the baseball team or a likeness whom they shared a stadium with. New York Giants' date=' Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Yankees, Chicago Bears (with the Cubs) of course were all football teams. When we were the Braves we shared the Boston Braves' baseball stadium. When we moved out of Braves Field to Fenway we became the Red Skins(Red Sox). Like I said, just a theory.[/quote']

this is not theory this is IN FACT what it was. according to THE REDKSINS ENYCLOPEDIA

Kind of like how this guy was taken out of context?

Man, if you seriously don't see what's inherently wrong with the analogy's your putting up in relation to this; then, with the greatest of respect, your little better than those opposing "fans" your so tired of and there's little point in continuing this conversation.

We'll be polite and put it down to a difference of opinion.

Hail.

Hey, Einstein, they're saying that for the explicit purpose of getting under your skin. If we change our name they'll simply find something else to rib you about.

oh thank you, I have been trying to be nicer to people on the board recently but if someone didn't say something to this guy I was gonna have to interrupt that captain obvious moment

i will say this.... if the name changes im no longer a fan. i am a REDSKIN fan not a Washington "?" fan. if the name changes then the franchise becomes nothing more than a team in Washington by a new name. it wont BE the REDSKINS to me anymore. so.... IF the name change takes place... consider me a Titans fan.

i will say this.... if the name changes im no longer a fan. i am a REDSKIN fan not a Washington "?" fan. if the name changes then the franchise becomes nothing more than a team in Washington by a new name. it wont BE the REDSKINS to me anymore. so.... IF the name change takes place... consider me a Titans fan.

I have little doubt if you where to put this to a referendum, the overall consensus be to keep the name that continues to define us. And if there were to ever be a change, a whole bunch of folks would feel exactly the same. (Save for the Titans thang, lol.).

Hail.

I would bet my bottom ten bucks that none of those people who chime in and tell you how racist the name is are native Americans.

Do they also pipe in and tell Buffalo Bills fans that their name is probably the most disgustingly hateful slur against the native Americans in all of sports?

I bet not. And until they do, I'd suggest telling them to go **** themselves.

~Bang

Archived