Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Black Screen of Death ???

Mickalino

I’ve been getting this strange phenomenon on my PC.

It will boot up normally from the beginning, but then when it gets to the very last stage of boot-up right before the desk-top show up, the screen becomes black, but it is not a solid black. Around the edges of the screen it fades into a white border. And then, over a few seconds, the middle of the screen very gradually fades into a white, so it ends up with a screen that’s speckled with both black and white.

So basically, I keep trying to boot up until eventually after a half dozen tries, the desktop finally comes up. But even then, it’s an even stranger occurrence I’ve never seen or heard of before. The whole desktop screen is shifted to the side or diagonally, so that the left side of the screen ends up offset to the right side, and vice versa, separated by a solid, thick black border right in the middle of the screen.

Hard to describe that any better. But, when it’s in that mode, I can’t really do much because a lot of the controls are hidden, due to the shifted screen. My only way out of that, temporarily, is to right-click on the desktop and change the pixels on the desktop to either a higher lower setting, and it re-sets itself, to an apparent normal mode.

After that, it re-boots normally for a few times. Then eventually, that “bug” will come back to where I keep getting that funky black/white screen, etc. And have to re-boot about 6 times, often wondering if will start up properly, ever again, and whether it’s finally met its doom. Just wanted to get help before it’s too late, in case it’s a virus that will eventually spread and completely disable the machine. I've already noticed a few other functions are starting to crap out. Like it will not allow me to successfully use "System Restore" much of the time. And it will not allow me to uninstall any programs, to re-install it. Firefox browser keeps crashing, and it won't let me un-install and re-install it.

I’ve run anti-virus and several spyware programs, but that doesn’t seem to fix it. Any help ?

What OS? Have you tried booting into safe mode? Have you done any recent hardware/software upgrades? Any error messages at all?

Windows XP. The only software upgrades I've done is adding some anti-spyware recently. No error messages at all.

Havn't tried Safe Mode yet, but once I get into it, what do I do next ?

Make sure your monitor connection to the computer is tight. that can cause all sorts of weird effects.

Mine got loose and next thing I knew everything on the screen was pink.

~Bang

this is true too, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't create a new thread without at least making sure the monitor was completely plugged in, lol.

1) make sure there isn't a cd/dvd in the drive

2) press f8 to get the list of safe modes, try last good config

3) if neither of these work, f8 again and run safe mode command prompt, type format mbr and press enter

4) if that doesn't work, you may have to repair your windows install, but not yet, lol

Sounds like a video problem, to me. Try a different monitor, if you can.

Or, next time you successfully get it to boot, change to a lower resolution/refresh rate. See if it becomes reliable.

+1

Sounds like your monitor is taking a dump. As Larry said, try a different one. If it does the same then it will be the video card.

Make sure your monitor connection to the computer is tight. that can cause all sorts of weird effects.

Mine got loose and next thing I knew everything on the screen was pink.

~Bang

Sounds like a video problem, to me. Try a different monitor, if you can.

Or, next time you successfully get it to boot, change to a lower resolution/refresh rate. See if it becomes reliable.

+1

Sounds like your monitor is taking a dump. As Larry said, try a different one. If it does the same then it will be the video card.

A similar thing happened to my previous monitor, until eventually the screen was black all the time. So I figured the screen just burnt from old age and I dumped it and replaced it. Now it's doing something similar with my new monitor. If it's a video problem and not a PC problem, then my PC is a monitor-killer. Maybe the connecter piece on the back of the computer where the monitor plugs in, is bad, and needs to be replaced ?

your PC is going blind

this

And growing hairy palms.

is

Does your girlfriend have a cat?

hilarious. if i didn't think koolblue was being serious in the question, i would think all three of these posts were related, and it would have explained micks love for journey

Archived