Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Bob Sturm: Jerry the GM's performance near bottom of NFL (Talent!)

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110305-bob-sturm-jerry-the-gm_s-performance-near-bottom-of-nfl.ece

By SportsDayDFW.com

The Ticket host Bob Sturm answered your questions in a chat Friday. Here are some highlights.

Doug Fu asks ... So, we now see what happens when your GM is out trying to avoid a labor dispute, your team misses out on two safeties (Atoguwe, Sanders) that could help them. Any other safeties out there left? Also, Robert Gallery, worth a shot, or are there other alternatives out there?

Bob Sturm: This is a frequent topic. Is Jerry too busy to negotiate a CBA and with a free agent? I think he has enough peeps to do both. My issue remains with his cash flow. I think his actions would seem to indicate that he is not printing money the way he once did. I think the stadium has hurt free agency - and I think he believed it would do just the opposite. The perfect storm with the economy has really hamstrung them. OJ Atogwe should have been the Cowboys solution. They had 0 interest. I think money is my only explanation.

Dickie Laskiewicz asks ... Assuming there is at least a 12-game scheduled played in the NFL this year, do you consider this a make or break season for Romo sits to pee?

Bob Sturm: I think this is big for Tony. He is now at that age where he needs to earn his keep on an annual basis. the league has no patience for excuses for guys over 30. he needs to be big. [OP: This is the annual mantra...:rotflmao:]

Curtis asks ... Is Jerry Jones the worst GM in the NFL? Is he at least in the bottom third?

Bob Sturm: I really think he would be better off getting someone in that spot who lives that position. I wish I didn't have to see pictures of Jerry in Vegas the day after he fires Wade. I wish I didn't know that Floyd Mayweather fights are just as important to him as watching film on free agents. I wish I didn't wonder whether I spend more time watching tape than he does. So, yes, his job performance to me is near the bottom of the league. I think he has talented scouts, but I think he is too divided to be great at what he does as GM.

---------- Post added March-7th-2011 at 10:03 AM ----------

Oh, lookie!

Jerruh has cash flow problems inhibiting his free agency spending...because he spent so much on his stadium!

Who has been saying this for THREE years and been ridiculed about it by uninformed, casual puke fans?

:rotflmao:

Isn't it remarkable that a Skins fan has more inside information about a rival's team than most of its fanbase?

Have to agree, using 'Boys fans for comparison is setting a pretty low standard, but still, you're right and have been right about this. You know when their local news starts printing these items it must be pretty bad.

Or this could all be pure conjecture on Bob Sturm's part and Jerry is waiting to see the results from the new CBA. One of the things being talked about is the idea that all RFA's will become UFA like they would of been had the owners not opted out of the last CBA. That would greatly expand the free agent pool for this year, specifically to include a very good safety by the name of Eric Weddle who is younger, less injury prone, and considered smarter (which is important in Rob Ryan defensive schemes).

Just because Jerrah didn't extend a long contract to an aging safety or roll the dice on one who's injury prone and over rated doesn't mean he won't spend good money on some later on.

*edit* someone who agrees with me

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/03/one-argument-for-cowboys-patience-eric.html

One Argument for Cowboys Patience: Eric Weddle

Posted by Rafael at Saturday, March 05, 2011

Today is day one of the NFL's hiring freeze. A consequence of the week-long extension to CBA talks, no player transaction can go on until the new talks conclude.

This leaves organizations in limbo, and produces evidence of why Dallas has resisted making any cuts and pursuing any short-term free agents like Bob Sanders or O.J. Atogwe.

Behold the San Diego Chargers, who sit in limbo with respect to possible free agent free safety Eric Weddle. The 26 year old just finished his fourth season in a Chargers uniform, his third as a starter. If the old free agent standards are reinstated in the new CBA, a condition many expect, Weddle's experience would make him an unrestricted free agent. Since San Diego did not exercise its franchise tag, a tool which may or may not survive the negotiations, Weddle's odds of hitting the market are even greater.

Here's Chargers GM A.J. Smith on the team's stance regarding Weddle:

“First, we don’t know Eric’s status yet,” Smith said, referring to the fact the NFL considers Weddle a restricted free agent under the current CBA... Eric is a great kid and an outstanding player,” Smith said. “He is exactly the type of player we want to be a part of the Chargers organization. If we should offer a contract, we would present a contract to his agent, both in years and money. Our hope then would obviously be he likes it and accepts. If not, as Eric said, he will be moving on in a heartbeat, as will we.”

The same uncertainty applies to every GM in the league. Who's going to be unrestricted? Restricted? Consequently, how many unrestricted free agents could be available for recruiting and signing?

Who looks like a better bet for a long-term, big money deal, the 30 year old Atogwe, or the 26 year old Weddle? And if players of Weddle's caliber look to hit the market en masse, players we have not seen in any numbers in recent years, given the teams' increased skill at staggering free agents, pre-emptive long-term deals and use of the franchise tags, how many other players at Cowboys positions of need will join him?

The Cowboys actions say they expect those numbers to be significant.

I'm trying to figure out a GM who supposedly has the resources that JJ has that has done a worse job. I can't think of anyone.

Serenity now....

i'm not sure you understand the meaning of that word....or maybe you mis-worded your previous sentence

Eric Weddle

QUOTE]

Yes, the cowboys should get the 5'11 200 pound monster that is Eric Weddle. His great ball hawking skills (6 ints in 4 years) and ability to not impress any Chargers fan I have ever talked to is definitely a must for the Cowboys defense.

Have you ever watched him play? The guy was overdrafted and is purely an average starting safety in this league so far.

Eric Weddle

QUOTE]

Yes, the cowboys should get the 5'11 200 pound monster that is Eric Weddle. His great ball hawking skills (6 ints in 4 years) and ability to not impress any Chargers fan I have ever talked to is definitely a must for the Cowboys defense.

Have you ever watched him play? The guy was overdrafted and is purely an average starting safety in this league so far.

Eric Weddle is actually a pretty good safety, and he represents a significant upgrade to what Dallas is currently starting....I would be quite impressed if they were to actually get Weddle. I don't see it happening.

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

i'm not sure you understand the meaning of that word....or maybe you mis-worded your previous sentence

Hey Tweed,

I understand the meaning of the word. It's actually a Seinfeld reference....ie. Frank Costanza's misguided mantra before he freaks out..

Eric Weddle is actually a pretty good safety, and he represents a significant upgrade to what Dallas is currently starting....I would be quite impressed if they were to actually get Weddle. I don't see it happening.

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

No question he is an upgrade. Pretty good? That's a pipe dream.

He is solid, not above average in any respects. You can't man him up on a big WR or any WR with speed, he is not a force in the run game, he makes few game changing plays. He is the definition of the word average. My problem with his post was comparing him to Atogwe, who at one point showed he was an above average safety in the league.

No question he is an upgrade. Pretty good? That's a pipe dream.

He is solid, not above average in any respects. You can't man him up on a big WR or any WR with speed, he is not a force in the run game, he makes few game changing plays. He is the definition of the word average. My problem with his post was comparing him to Atogwe, who at one point showed he was an above average safety in the league.

Eric Weddle doesn't force turnovers like Atogwe, but he plays safety very well in that he keeps plays in front of him, is a sure tackler and is very good at recognizing formations and adjusting coverages accordingly. Is he a great physical talent? No, but he's a smart competent football players who was the "QB" of the #1 defense in the NFL last year.

That being said I've a feeling the safeties for Dallas next year will be Huff and Sensabaugh

:no:

The Raiders have been to a Super Bowl in the past 10 years. The Cowboys have not.

The Cowboys have won 3 super bowls in the last 20 and the Raiders haven't. The Cowboys have had 4 winning seasons and 3 playoff appearances in the last 5 years and the Raiders have had 0 of both. Hey, look! I can chose random time periods and say X is better than Y!

Al Davis is definitely worse.

No...not even close.

Jerruh is about to be 100% responsible for personnel, now that the Parcell era players begin to fade.

They will be taking our place in the cellar for a decade.

---------- Post added March-10th-2011 at 12:32 AM ----------

The Cowboys have won 3 super bowls in the last 20 and the Raiders haven't. The Cowboys have had 4 winning seasons and 3 playoff appearances in the last 5 years and the Raiders have had 0 of both. Hey, look! I can chose random time periods and say X is better than Y!

The pukes have won ONE playoff game in the last 12 or so years...and co-share the one-and-done NFL playoff record.

Congrats.

Eric Weddle doesn't force turnovers like Atogwe, but he plays safety very well in that he keeps plays in front of him, is a sure tackler and is very good at recognizing formations and adjusting coverages accordingly. Is he a great physical talent? No, but he's a smart.

Sounds like Reed Doughty

I'm trying to figure out a GM who supposedly has the resources that JJ has that has done a worse job. I can't think of anyone.

Serenity now....

doncherry is okay with me...he's based in the real world.

Archived