Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lombardi Mock Draft: Redskins pick Ayers at #10

redskins55

When ever I see a mock draft that is different from the norm or consensus I like to evaluate the reasoning behind it. And the reason Lombardi gave for the Redskins picking Ayers was pretty convincing to me. Hadn't heard much talk about selecting Ayers from you folks. What about it..

Do you think he will impress enough with his size and speed to be worthy of a #10 pick? Gotta admit having him opposite Orakpo in my opinion would be building the team in the right

direction.

Lombardi's Mock

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e76f69/Lombardi-s-mock-draft?module=HP_video

Akeem Ayers

I don't know much about these guys, but that youtube video makes him look like he should not even be a first or second rounder. It shows him getting beat, manhandled by Oline, looking lost, and crucially overpursuing on the play against a sub par team.

Edit: not hijacking the thread either, just sayin'

Ayers will be a great NFL player. I would endorse this pick but I wonder if he meshes well with Rak. Rak isn't a dominant run defender by any means and while the idea of having sack masters that can come off of either edge, I don't want to be gashed by sweeps to either side. But maybe Ayers is a better run defender than I give him credit for... ?

But, again, I would support this pick. My ideal scenario is that we trade down to the 14-16 pick range and pick up Ayers.

I don't know much about these guys, but that youtube video makes him look like he should not even be a first or second rounder. It shows him getting beat, manhandled by Oline, looking lost, and crucially overpursuing on the play against a sub par team.

Edit: not hijacking the thread either, just sayin'

I watched the first minute of that video and thought the exact same thing. Pass please.

I watched the first minute of that video and thought the exact same thing. Pass please.

Those videos aren't highlight clips. It's an aggregate of all plays against a particular team. He did struggle against the run, but he's a deviant pass rusher. I wouldn't write him off just yet. There's probably a highlight clip out there that would make everyone really excited about this kid. There's a reason he's a mid-first round type of guy.

Those videos aren't highlight clips. It's an aggregate of all plays against a particular team. He did struggle against the run, but he's a deviant pass rusher. I wouldn't write him off just yet. There's probably a highlight clip out there that would make everyone really excited about this kid. There's a reason he's a mid-first round type of guy.

Yeah just like the TE/FB we drafted last year that everybody(including myself) fell in love with after watching it.

Yeah just like the TE/FB we drafted last year that everybody(including myself) fell in love with after watching it.

Exactly. Ol' Dennis Morris, I believe. Anyways, these videos are interesting because you get a more complete view than a highlight reel. It's REALLY disappointing if you turn it on and expect him to dominate on each play.

He's a rush guy. Better in pursuit. He definitely needs work in the run game but if we trade down I could see him become a real option.

No way AJ Green gets past the skins. If he's somehow available, it's a must pick. He's said to be no 1 on a lot of boards.

Yea I agree, he's an automatic go to guy in the passing game.

Ayers seems like he was that defense's main guy. I haven't heard much about him before seeing that video but he is a good tackler and he played in a lot of different positions on that defense, DE, OLB, sometimes MLB. He is an interesting prospect, I'd like to find out more about him.

Definitely agree with this. Plus, I really really don't think Ayers is a top 10 talent. I would take him maybe mid to late 1st but 10 would be a huge reach for him, IMO.

Yeah and this was the one thing I was saying over in the draft thread. Its nothing against Ayers I think he's a good player but I dont think he's a top 10 talent. Now mid 1st? certainly but #10 pick in the draft? Nope

Quinn has 2 concerns.. 1 being the obvious ordeal with a agent that cost him this past season.2 his brain tumor and if/when the hole closes since his surgery his senior year of high school. Quinn is actually a good kid that would fit perfectly opposite Rak in this defense.

Dang, I had no idea the kid had a hole in his head. Man, kind of hard to hide at the combine where they're crawling all of you.

Dang, I had no idea the kid had a hole in his head. Man, kind of hard to hide at the combine where they're crawling all of you.

Yeah that's part of the story with him, it would be a great story to see him play in the NFL as he's got a ridiculous amount of talent and can be a star and would be a great compliment to Orakpo since we have no plans to move Orakpo to the other OLB position

Yeah that's part of the story with him, it would be a great story to see him play in the NFL as he's got a ridiculous amount of talent and can be a star and would be a great compliment to Orakpo since we have no plans to move Orakpo to the other OLB position

So if Quinn and Gabbert are both there at 10 which one would you take and why? Just curious.

Just my impressions:

I didn't think Lombardi's draft was that accurate Green slipping to past 10? Lots of strange things happening there.

I understand how he arrived at the conclusion that the Skins would pick a good OLB, and Ayers is probably not going 1-9. (In the past, I'd even suggested that Ayers would be a good LB to consider.)

But the video of the K-State game left me with some bad impressions of him. He's got potential, and size -- but a lot of things I didn't like. Maybe a second rounder for us -- I don't think he slides to the 3rd round.

Ayers at least according to most of the draft geeks isn't much of a pass rusher, yet but has potential to become one. Good in coverage, well rounded player, etc. Seems to be mostly mid to late first round in most mocks. I'd presume though we are looking for a guy though who can really rush the passer well, and Ayers wasn't much of a sack guy if i recall right in college.

Just my impressions:

I didn't think Lombardi's draft was that accurate Green slipping to past 10? Lots of strange things happening there.

I understand how he arrived at the conclusion that the Skins would pick a good OLB, and Ayers is probably not going 1-9. (In the past, I'd even suggested that Ayers would be a good LB to consider.)

But the video of the K-State game left me with some bad impressions of him. He's got potential, and size -- but a lot of things I didn't like. Maybe a second rounder for us -- I don't think he slides to the 3rd round.

I definitely would not judge a prospect so harshly from a youtube video. That's a little ridiculous.

Archived