Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FNN - “Breakthrough” At Fifth Day of NFL Labor Negotiations

HapHaszard

the crazy thing about this whole situation...is not one of the 32 nfl owners were involved in this 7 day mediation.....there is no way this is going to get done...going to be a lockout....the owners are already ready for the lockout

The commish and his associates represent all 32 owners. There is no point to having an owner there, if an owner has a concern they can call the ol commish. In the same vein the NFLPA is represented by DeMaurice Smith and his team (which includes current and past players among the lawyers).

The commish and his associates represent all 32 owners. There is no point to having an owner there, if an owner has a concern they can call the ol commish. In the same vein the NFLPA is represented by DeMaurice Smith and his team (which includes current and past players among the lawyers).

so you are saying that the Commissioner has the best interests in mind for the owners then?

Uh ... yeah ... um ... I'm going need you to come in this weekend.

:helmet: The Rook

lol...sorry they don't get sympathy from me. When I used to get called in for the weekend, I didn't get more money...my salary was my salary.

and for the sports I play...I pay to play...

I think both sides are in the wrong. just shut up and play. If you have issues with the schedule, or the retirement plan, then do something else.

There's no reason for the player's to ever want a lockout. They'll be screwed come august.

60% make league minimum. Those 60% have been advised to prepare for this lockout/strike (may actually end up a strike).

The other 40% could care less. This is a big time contract they are negotiating, one that will impact the bottom line of the entire league for years to come. Missing 4 games is a contingency and I'll wager a very high priority contingency.

60% make league minimum. Those 60% have been advised to prepare for this lockout/strike (may actually end up a strike).

The other 40% could care less. This is a big time contract they are negotiating, one that will impact the bottom line of the entire league for years to come. Missing 4 games is a contingency and I'll wager a very high priority contingency.

Yes, they've been advised now. The owners have been preparing for this for YEARS.

If the players appear ready to handle a lockout, its because they need to be able to convince they owners that they are. Its a high-stakes game of Chicken.

The players are used to not being paid in the offseason, and the healthcare is a minor issue.

But once August/September starts rolling around, there's gonna be lots of pressure from a HUGE portion of the players to just get it done. Guys like Antonio Cromartie, who always have money problems. NFL players make good money, even the league-minimum guys. But they also live paycheck-to-paycheck a lot of the time. And the paychecks have stopped coming.

I think you're grossly over-rating the players' past ability to manage their money, as well as their current readiness, and ability to survive, a lockout.

MINNEAPOLIS – Attorneys for the NFL and the players' union have taken their fight over $4 billion in TV revenue before a federal judge in Minnesota.

U.S. District Court judge David Doty in Minneapolis has jurisdiction over NFL labor matters. He agreed Thursday to unseal some evidence in the case but did not immediately issue a decision.

The union wants the judge to overturn a decision allowing the league to keep the $4 billion in rights fees from the networks in case there is a lockout. The collective bargaining agreement expires next Thursday.

The union says the NFL unfairly negotiated the TV contracts to use the money as leverage in labor talks. The league says it acted in good faith.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/02/24/nfl-union-tv-money-dispute-judge/

I was going to bet it was more of.. Mediator to players "....you want more millions to play a game, you need to play more games..."

You missed the point of what he said-- the owners are asking for more games AND more money. The owners don't seem to be willing to give up anything at all. Both sides benefit from a rookie wage scale (vets hate rookie contracts) so they should start there...

Yes, they've been advised now. The owners have been preparing for this for YEARS.

If the players appear ready to handle a lockout, its because they need to be able to convince they owners that they are. Its a high-stakes game of Chicken.

The players are used to not being paid in the offseason, and the healthcare is a minor issue.

But once August/September starts rolling around, there's gonna be lots of pressure from a HUGE portion of the players to just get it done. Guys like Antonio Cromartie, who always have money problems. NFL players make good money, even the league-minimum guys. But they also live paycheck-to-paycheck a lot of the time. And the paychecks have stopped coming.

I think you're grossly over-rating the players' past ability to manage their money, as well as their current readiness, and ability to survive, a lockout.

Arguing over this is futile, but I stand by my point. The players aren't going to give up billions to the owners and accept their final best offer, thus causing a strike. Smith is going to play hardball, with the last thing wanted being a compromise that hurts the players. They want to give it to the owners. They want a few extra months off not having to report, check in or study playbooks. I'm not talking 100%, you only need 51.

Arguing over this is futile, but I stand by my point. The players aren't going to give up billions to the owners and accept their final best offer, thus causing a strike. Smith is going to play hardball, with the last thing wanted being a compromise that hurts the players. They want to give it to the owners. They want a few extra months off not having to report, check in or study playbooks. I'm not talking 100%, you only need 51.

Oh, I agree that's what they want, and that they WANT to play hardball. I'm just saying that these are only the reps for the players...eventually, as the season creeps closer, the very people who these guys represent will realize that they can't survive a protracted strike. You can't stand strong and wait for the right deal when the people you're representing start clamoring for a deal sooner rather than later.

I'm just saying that I think you're overestimating the players' long-term cohesiveness on everything that they want...eventually, much of the league is gonna just want their paychecks to start getting mailed again. And the reps represent them as well. And they'll be the loudest.

Arguing over this is futile, but I stand by my point. The players aren't going to give up billions to the owners and accept their final best offer, thus causing a strike. .

There won't be a strike because there is already an agreement in place. If the owners allow the players into facilities things will carry on under the current CBA, thus the only option the owners have it to lock them out.

Archived