Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: A Tipping Point is Reached

Burgold

I figured with all the Snyder bashing over how the Redskins abuse our pocketbooks and Dan is the devil talk that some perspective might be nice. Thought this was a good article that speaks to how our owner is not quite the king of fan abuse that some proclaim.

By Sally Jenkins

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 8, 2011; 12:06 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020705610.html

It's a rough morning-after for the NFL. The Dallas Super Bowl was a bender, but now that the confetti has fallen, it looks like litter. The hangover has hit, a splitting headache and a sour stomach from the $19 margaritas and the $12 wine and the $10 beers and the rest of the fiscal insanity. Is this really what the NFL wants to become? A divorced-from-reality debauch?

I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in Jerry World. In Jerry World, a $1.15 billion stadium looks like the Taj Mahal on the outside, but inside some of the seats violate the fire code. In Jerry World, the state of Texas spends $31 million to host the Super Bowl, even as deficits force public school cuts. In Jerry World, it can cost $900 just to park. In Jerry World, fans pay hundreds of dollars to stand outside the stadium.

edit--

But how much growth does the league need? It already generates an estimated $8 billion, and owners get the first $1 billion off the top. If you really love the NFL - and I do - you have to wonder if the billionizing of the league is really good for it. The average cost of attending a game for a family of four is $412.64. At Cowboys Stadium, it's a staggering $758.58. That's what the league calls growth.

I usually cant stand her columns, but this is a good one. The one thing that makes me sick is that cities foot the bill for big portions of stadium construction and the NFL wont even lift the blackout rule for any team, even in this harsh economic climate. The average for a family to attend a game is over $400... that seems on the low side, if you ask me. The question is what can you do about it? Unfortunately the answer is nothing, except not go.

The question is what can you do about it? Unfortunately the answer is nothing, except not go...

on a picnic, bowling, or turn on the radio :evilg: There are lots of things we can do if we really have had enough. I've always been of two minds on this subject. One: the NFL is not a charity and it's not a not for profit business. So, the eight dollar beers or the twelve dollar magaritas don't phase me. They also can't make me buy one unless I decide to. Their job, like any entertainment park's job, is to make you part with as much money as humanly possible. I don't have a problem with that. That's capitalism.

On the other hand, selling tickets that have obscured sightlines, charging full price for a preseason game, or selling seats that don't exist (as Jerry Jones weems wont to do) takes you from being a good business man to being a con artist. Buyer beware, I suppose.

On the third hand, the Redskins are a part of the community. Spiritually, we own the team and we bleed and live and die with it. A game should be priced so that a fan can afford to bring his son. Their pricing games out of many people's reach. Same with Broadway. 120 bucks for a ticket? Assuming you're going to have dinner and drinks that's a four hundred dollar date! It's crazy. Going to a football game is equally crazy if you add in the parking, tickets, souvies, and concessions.

I usually cant stand her columns, but this is a good one. The one thing that makes me sick is that cities foot the bill for big portions of stadium construction and the NFL wont even lift the blackout rule for any team, even in this harsh economic climate.
You must blame the cities in this one. Right now the NFL product is really only selling in about 25 of their current markets. In other words, the league is too big. Cities hold more power than they realize. The blackout rule is also antiquated. Now that the NFL makes more on TV than they do in ticket sales, it should be rescinded. This coming lockout is a great opportunity for the fans to fight back. They probably won't.

There's no way to tell if the Navy flyovers are a waste of money. The same thing with the squads like the Air Force Thunderbirds or Navy Blue Angels. Apparently they do have a positive effect on recruitment...

Is anyone else considering boycotting the Super Bowl after this year's spectacle? Even the broadcast itself is too annoying, too much of a spectacle, too much of the TV networks plugging their own stars, too much dramatics. It's a lot of what I *don't like* about the "new American idol worship"

on a picnic, bowling, or turn on the radio :evilg: There are lots of things we can do if we really have had enough. I've always been of two minds on this subject. One: the NFL is not a charity and it's not a not for profit business. So, the eight dollar beers or the twelve dollar magaritas don't phase me. They also can't make me buy one unless I decide to. Their job, like any entertainment park's job, is to make you part with as much money as humanly possible. I don't have a problem with that. That's capitalism.

On the other hand, selling tickets that have obscured sightlines, charging full price for a preseason game, or selling seats that don't exist (as Jerry Jones weems wont to do) takes you from being a good business man to being a con artist. Buyer beware, I suppose.

On the third hand, the Redskins are a part of the community. Spiritually, we own the team and we bleed and live and die with it. A game should be priced so that a fan can afford to bring his son. Their pricing games out of many people's reach. Same with Broadway. 120 bucks for a ticket? Assuming you're going to have dinner and drinks that's a four hundred dollar date! It's crazy. Going to a football game is equally crazy if you add in the parking, tickets, souvies, and concessions.

I agree on the pricing - it shouldnt break your bank account to go to a game. I go to Fedex 1x per year and over a 3 day period spend probably close to $1000 on tickets, hotel, food, parking, gas, skins gear, etc.. for my one guy weekend a year. I also get the Direct TV NFL Ticket each year.... its an expensive hobby, no doubt but I love it so much.

I agree on the pricing - it shouldnt break your bank account to go to a game. I go to Fedex 1x per year and over a 3 day period spend probably close to $1000 on tickets, hotel, food, parking, gas, skins gear, etc.. for my one guy weekend a year. I also get the Direct TV NFL Ticket each year.... its an expensive hobby, no doubt but I love it so much.

Geez. For a thousand bucks, the least they can do for you is win. Still, my point of bringing up the article is that it's not Snyder being evil and doing this to you... this is sadly just SOP.

Well, I remember back a couple months ago, Snyder was on that WP panel, and said that he was against public financing of stadiums, so I guess in the long run, when the stadium trend hits, we might be the least ripped off fans?

"Privately" financed is a con too. The New Meadowlands is privately financed. The state of New Jersey paid nothing - except $100 million in debt on the old stadium, $100 million in infrastructure and $500 million over 30 years on tax breaks.

Once Dan gets beyond the need for eminent domain, infrastructure, tax breaks and selling RFK back to PG County, I'm sure he could privately finance a new stadium too.

"Privately" financed is a con too. The New Meadowlands is privately financed. The state of New Jersey paid nothing - except $100 million in debt on the old stadium' date=' $100 million in infrastructure and $500 million over 30 years on tax breaks.

Once Dan gets beyond the need for eminent domain, infrastructure, tax breaks and selling RFK back to PG County, I'm sure he could privately finance a new stadium too.[/quote']

Actually, FedEx is already paid off, and Snyder owns the building outright. So no old debt. He also will probably have to pay PG County to get out of the lease. Also, RFK is owned by the Federal Goverment, and will have to go through a whole deal with congress etc. before anything can happen with the site.

Actually, FedEx is already paid off, and Snyder owns the building outright. So no old debt. He also will probably have to pay PG County to get out of the lease. Also, RFK is owned by the Federal Goverment, and will have to go through a whole deal with congress etc. before anything can happen with the site.

I meant FedEx, not RFK. Brain fart.

Also, I think Snyder is paying something like $50 million a year to service the loan he took to buy FedEx and the Skins. When the time comes to build DannyWorld, he's not going to want to still be paying on FedEx as well.

Sally is right on this time. Imo, they are pushing the league to a tipping point. The corporate dollars are gone for all the luxury boxes and suites, the average fans can barely afford to attend anymore, if they can at all and the games look so good on big screen HDTVs. I think they're much, much closer to half empty stadiums and financially upside down franchises than they realize. If they want to do something for the game they'll quit spending so much on stadiums and players, bring the cost back down to earth so that average fans, the lifeblood of the sport, can still afford to be a part of it.

Edit: Part of me also wonders if the upcoming labor strife isn't partially because the owners see the writing on the wall and realize they've tapped all the resources they can and there's nowhere to go but down from here.

The fans can form the greatest union of all. These owners and players are fighting over our money (along with sponsorship and tv revenue). Not going to games such as the Super Bowl would make a great statement.

Good call! I hope everyone decides not to go to the Super Bowl so I can get a ticket. Along with 70,000 other people.

The article neglects to mention how much the local economy benefits from having a stadium, which is why they get huge tax breaks and financing from the state.

Agreed. On the surface this article hits a note but it really misses the mark like almost every other single thing she writes. And the fans talking about a boycott are just kidding themselves. You can say they've gone too far all you want but it was the single biggest TV event EVER. The interest in the SB and the NFL is at an alltime high. And the amount of revenue, which this article completely ignores, that it generates is huge. It is well worth it for the Dallas/Fort Worth. And as for New Jersey, Sally, how much tax revenue do you think that area is producing if the stadium is across the river in Brooklyn?

Archived