Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USATODAY: Redskins have the highest percentage of African American and Wine and Cheese fans (MET)

E33Green

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-09-12-1171345338_x.htm

I know the article is a bit dated, but I found it very interesting. Here are the categories in which the Redskins lead the league:

Fans who are college graduates: Washington, D.C., 20 percent.

Fans who are African-American: Washington, D.C, 12.8 percent.

Fans who earn over $75,000: Washington, D.C., 30.7 percent.

Fans who earn over $100,000: Washington, D.C., 21.4 percent.

The part about our percentage of African American fans is very interesting, especially considering the bile spewed forth by people like Michael Wilbon harping on the unfortunate legacy of George Preston Marshall. IMHO, Marshall's racist legacy was completely erased when Doug Williams became the first (and to this day, only) African American quarterback to win a Super Bowl. Not to mention the generation that grew up in the DC area cheering heroes like Charley Taylor, Art Monk, and Darrell Green. Funny how Wilbon claims there is such a large percentage of African American Cowboys fans in DC because of Marshall, yet this article proves him completely wrong.

Not surprising to see that we also have the highest percentage of wine and cheese fans, considering what I see in the Orange and Purple lots at FedEx.

No chance we have the largest black fanbase. Dallas, Atlanta, and NO should all be ahead of us. I've read that the Falcons have the highest proportion of African American STHs in the league.

I can see why the Steelers appeal to women. Aside from chronic winning to draw new fans, the Steelers don't have cheer leaders. Some chicks probably take comfort in that.

No chance we have the largest black fanbase. Dallas, Atlanta, and NO should all be ahead of us. I've read the Atlanta has largest portion of African American STHs.

Do you have a source or is this just "I went to a Cowboys/Atlanta/NO game and there were a lot of black fans there"?

Not trying to be a Richard, just asking.

Also, there is a big difference between the percentage of African American fans in a fanbase versus the percentage of African American STHs. The STHs are only a minute segment of a region's population, while the USA Today article counts the total percentage of African American fans in the DC area.

Do you have a source or is this just "I went to a Cowboys/Atlanta/NO game and there were a lot of black fans there"?

No sources. Based on observation. There are more black people in NY and Philly than there are in the DC area.

Drive around NE, SE and PG. You'll see that fan loyalty is nearly split between Redskins and Cowboys. That's not even factoring in Steelers, and other teams.

I can see why the Steelers appeal to women. Aside from chronic winning to draw new fans, the Steelers don't have cheer leaders. Some chicks probably take comfort in that.

And, they can always be content in the knowledge that as long as they hit up the bars in that area, there's always the chance they'll....have a run in with their favorite starting QB :paranoid:

No sources. Based on observation. There are more black people in NY and Philly than there are in the DC area.

Drive around NE, SE and PG. You'll see that fan loyalty is nearly split between Redskins and Cowboys. That's not even factoring in Steelers, and other teams.

Having been to the Linc 4 times, it might surprise you to know that the eagles crowd is 99% white. There were probably more African american redskin fans tere than Eagles ones.

Having been to the Linc 4 times, it might surprise you to know that the eagles crowd is 99% white. There were probably more African american redskin fans tere than Eagles ones.

Been there twice. I agree.

---------- Post added January-31st-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

OP -

10. Please adhere to the following policies when using content from outside sources:

If you are posting an article from an outside source, title your thread in the following format: "SHORTFORM SOURCE: HEADLINE" (Ex.: "WP: Redskins Name Mike Shanahan New Head Coach") without editorializing the headline with your own version.

I don't know man. It's not called the "Chocolate City" for nothing.

Having been to the Linc 4 times, it might surprise you to know that the eagles crowd is 99% white. There were probably more African american redskin fans there than Eagles fans.

This post mirrors my experience the two times I was insane enough to go to Filthydelphia for the game. :yes:

I've read that the Falcons have the highest proportion of African American STHs in the league.

What does STH stand for? Just from a quick search, DC has a bigger population and a higher percentage of them are African American. Maryland has similar demographics to Georgia, but Virginia is still pretty damn white. So, given that, I don't see how you could just draw the conclusion that you did. Maybe you're biased from living in Virginia?

It's awesome when someone takes the time to type out "African American," but then uses the term "white" in the very next sentence.

I'm not picking on you but it's just an indication of how selectively PC we've become as a society.

What does STH stand for? Just from a quick search, DC has a bigger population and a higher percentage of them are African American. Maryland has similar demographics to Georgia, but Virginia is still pretty damn white. So, given that, I don't see how you could just draw the conclusion that you did. Maybe you're biased from living in Virginia?

STH = Season Ticket Holder

For what it’s worth, I recall a poster here on ES discussing his experience attending a Skins game in Philly a couple of years back. One thing he was astonished by was the fact that there were no black people at the game.

The wine and cheesers. Got to love them. I wish FedEX rocked every game. I see such differences even in primetime games. I want every game to be like 2006 vs the Jaguars. Having been to some pretty insane games the last 4-5 years, the stadium never rocked as hard.

Archived