Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wave3.com: Man in gorilla suit shot while attempting to rob KFC

#98QBKiller

http://www.wave3.com/story/13900080/police-officer-shot-man-attempting-to-rob-a-kfc

Man in gorilla suit shot while attempting to rob KFC

RICHMOND, KY (WAVE) - An attempted robbery turned deadly for one central Kentucky man on Saturday. A man disguised in a gorilla costume was trying to rob a KFC restaurant when he was shot to death by a police officer.

Officers were called to a KFC in Richmond on Jan. 22. Employees said the man was dressed like a gorilla and was threatening to kill them. A cashier hiding in the lobby called 911 while the robber pointed his gun at the others.

Employees said the officer asked the man to freeze. In response, he tried to flee. This was when the officer opened fire, fatally wounding the suspect.

"They're like heroes," said Brenda Hale who owned the KFC. "Nobody got hurt in my store and everybody's relieved today it's over with."

Richmond police are not releasing the name of the officer involved. He will be on paid leave while Kentucky State Police investigate the shooting.

If the gorilla man tried to flee then why shoot and him and kill him? Can they do that?

I'm not 100 percent sure but if he was pointing a gun at people and threatening to kill them, then decided to not listen to the officer and attempt to flee into the streets with a loaded weapon, there's probably some justification for killing him.

If the gorilla man tried to flee then why shoot and him and kill him? Can they do that?

I thought the same thing, but the guy was threatening to kill the KFC employees. So that probably changed their mindset on what they did. Wonder if they tried to taze him?

A armed criminal that has just threatened deadly force should be allowed to go out in public?

Yes they can and should do that.

A armed criminal that has just threatened deadly force should be allowed to go out in public?

Yes they can and should do that.

I would agree with you but this article doesn't say he was armed. Either way the threat could be considered enough I suppose.

I would agree with you but this article doesn't say he was armed. Either way the threat could be considered enough I suppose.

A cashier hiding in the lobby called 911 while the robber pointed his gun at the others.

Come on Babs, it says the guy had a gun for God's sake. As for why they killed him...hey, it wasn't a man, it was a gorilla. Wild animals often get put down when they escape from the zoo. This gorilla had learned how to handle firearms no less. The action was necessary.

Come on Babs, it says the guy had a gun for God's sake. As for why they killed him...hey, it wasn't a man, it was a gorilla. Wild animals often get put down when they escape from the zoo. This gorilla had learned how to handle firearms no less. The action was necessary.

Did he speak?????

General Urko!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpc4H7jbTNY97i3gowM4xMgV6cmRN_FUNNRE4Xqd6r3X6KeuZTIA&t=1

In Tennessee v. Garner, this issue was brought up....I dont think the cop should have been allowed to shoot him while he was fleeing unless he was waving the gun around at the officer or something threatening. If he was fleeing, you cant just shoot him in the back.

There's another case in California I think where the woman was threatening the officers with a knife, so they shot her which pissed off the black community...I'm trying to remember the case

You neglect the armed part,though I'm sure that matters little :silly:

You're picking a fight where there isn't one, twa.

What that Supreme Court decision did was set the bar for use of deadly force on a fleeing suspect. It's a seminal Supreme Court case on the issue. That's the only reason I posted it. It said that the police can use deadly force on a fleeing suspect only if there is probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious injury to the officer or others. Waving a gun in a robbery and threatening to shoot probably applies. Other case law has probably examined what constitutes a significant threat, though, but I don't know what those cases are. Maybe someone else, or you, could find them.

Archived