Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You are a Free Agent. Do you even WANT to sign with the Skins anymore?

Hardcore Zornography

Does a superbowl clean his reputation?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Does a superbowl clean his reputation?

Positively the WORST, MOST OUTDATED, UNINFORMED Dribble of a sports show to come out of our area.

Name one targeted free agent we havent gotten. When Snyder wants it, Snyder gets it....cause in the end its business and money. The trick is now to sell Snyder on what he wants. Tough job but I think Shanny can do it.

According to ESPN Radio there was a survey asking players which coach they would most like to play for if they could play for any HC in the league. Shanahan came in 6th. Skins aren't going to be throwing funny money around anymore so the guys at the end of their careers looking for one last huge contract will be out of luck.

who wants to come here for a coach that cant see past his own arrogant ego and pointed nose? shanahan may seem like he is laying down law but thats all he is good for. he is old fashioned and has lost touch with football, not his ego though..

I live in VA and we have this local hackjob of a sports radio personality named Tony Mercurio who has an afternoon program on ESPN radio in this area. He comes from Missouri but has been on the air here in Hampton Roads for 20 something years. But he naturally hates the Redskins and trashes Snyder (who he calls Danny Sneeder) on a daily basis. I assume it is to get callers, ratings, yada yada.

Anyway, he was talking to one of his weekly guests yesterday or the day before and the Skins rebuilding via free agency came up. He said something along the lines of no player worth a crap even wants to come here anymore because of the craziness of the Snyderatto era, or because of how Shanahan is currently running the team (I assume he was talking about the handlings of McNabb and Haynesworth).

I really can't stand this fat douchebag and usually disagree with everything he says, but he actually had me wondering if that could actually be true.

This guy sounds like a real gem of an announcer. In the Dallas area there is a guy named Arnie Spanier who's stick is like this...total douchbaggery all the time 24-7 who riles people up because it gets rating. The man may only be working the circuit playing the heel because it pays but if he really is like this in real life then God help these people. The thing is after Howard Stern first started the villain Dbag character it showed that it will pay in this arena so more of this is expected. I feel sorry for their families to be related to these losers

Do you think some players are going to start (or have started already) looking past the big paydays of yesteryear and see how much of a circus it has been in Washington, both on and off the field, and choose to sign elsewhere?

Or is it still 90% about the money, and if Snyder ponys up, they will come?

It depends on the players and the situation they find themselves in. Some players will give in to the idea that winning matters. While others are going to look at the life expectancy of playing the league and want to cash in while they still can. I don't buy off on the idea that we are so terrible that over paying people to work here won't be a consideration to them but say a player is set financially would they want to go to a rebuilding club like ours or take less money to go to a winning team so they can coax the ego's and be a winner? I'm sure many of these men would go with the winning club if they think they deserve hall of fame recognition but in the end money talks and bullspit walks so the percentage is unknown.

It's not like we suddenly took a nose dive and just became dysfunctional. We've been like this forever and outside of the draft I can't remember the last time we really wanted a player and he went somewhere else to stay away from this circus. We always get our man but we will have to over spend to ensure this happens because of the foolishness of how this teams been for the past decade. There is a price to be paid for our past sins but as long as it's Snyder who's paying then I'm ok with it. It is his fault we are like this so stands to reason he should be the man to pay for it to me.

Pretty good answers for the most part by everyone. I think I lean toward the side of believing that Shanny and Allen know what they are doing and if their targets choose to sign elsewhere, they probably weren't meant to be here anyway. Fat Man Mercurio was certainly just trying to get some angry callers or whatever, but it did get me wondering, nonetheless.

But yeah, I assume if a player has good common sense and a good head on their shoulders, they should believe and take to heart what the new regime is selling them to make them sign here. I am sure everything will work itself out.

I stopped listening to that fat load a long time ago. He spends more talking about food or his crush on young college girls from ODU's Girls Basketball team that would never look twice at his jabba the hut ass. Do yourself a favor and stream ESPN 980. You'll be much happier!

But I agree with most of the posters. People think Shannahan blew it with Haynesworth. Sally Jenkins has spoken of Mike Shannahan being big on sending messages. He let anyone who wants to come here know that the days of old has beens fleecing this team and screwing the fans and owner with piss poor effort are over! That's a great thing!

Besides, I believe you're going to see a switch in strategy. With an 18 game schedule teams will be pinching pennies and trying to get as many good (not great mind you) players as possible. I bet after this next CBA the days of the NBA like contracts will be few and far between. Probably reserved for QB's and that's about it. Everyone else will be replacable.

I live in VA and we have this local hackjob of a sports radio personality named Tony Mercurio who has an afternoon program on ESPN radio in this area. He comes from Missouri but has been on the air here in Hampton Roads for 20 something years. But he naturally hates the Redskins and trashes Snyder (who he calls Danny Sneeder) on a daily basis. I assume it is to get callers, ratings, yada yada.

Anyway, he was talking to one of his weekly guests yesterday or the day before and the Skins rebuilding via free agency came up. He said something along the lines of no player worth a crap even wants to come here anymore because of the craziness of the Snyderatto era, or because of how Shanahan is currently running the team (I assume he was talking about the handlings of McNabb and Haynesworth).

I really can't stand this fat douchebag and usually disagree with everything he says, but he actually had me wondering if that could actually be true.

Do you think some players are going to start (or have started already) looking past the big paydays of yesteryear and see how much of a circus it has been in Washington, both on and off the field, and choose to sign elsewhere?

Or is it still 90% about the money, and if Snyder ponys up, they will come?

I would say a lot of players are going to start looking past the big pay days. And yes, based on the way Shannahan handled McNabb and Haynesworth, a lot of people are going to look past the Redskins. I know for sure no big name QB is going to even consider the Redskins with Mike Shannahan as head coach. They clearly benched McNabb for no reason at all. Shannahan makes his decisions based on character and we all know talent comes before character in the NFL. With the way they did McNabb, you would have thought he did the same thing that Haynesworth did.

But here's something else to think about. Will McNabb stay as a Redskin so that he can collect the 10 million dollars after the 2011 season starts? My guess is no and that he is going to hop on the first plane to Miami or San Fransisco. McNabb could easily work his reputation back up a lot easier with those two teams and get paid more than 10 million dollars. He is not going to stay here in Washington while the media and Shannahan twist his name.

Players have three primary motivations, usually in this order:

1) Money

2) Playing time/opportunity to be a starter

3) Opportunity to win

Every player is a little different, but for the vast majority of guys, money is the biggest motivator to sign with a particular team. As long as the Skins outbid other teams for players, players will continue to come here.

Now, that’s not necessarily a good thing. In the past, players have looked at Washington as the place to go get paid. Players have openly talked about wanting to get “Redskin money.” So we’d end up with guys who got fat, happy and paid, instead of guys who were lean, hungry and motivated.

Shedding the reputation as the place to go cash-in (rather than the place to go win) is a good thing. That’s not to say we shouldn’t use free agency and pay for the right guys who will help us win. But having a reputation as the place to go get stupid money isn’t a good thing.

Anyway, that guy is full of crap.

But here's something else to think about. Will McNabb stay as a Redskin so that he can collect the 10 million dollars after the 2011 season starts? My guess is no and that he is going to hop on the first plane to Miami or San Fransisco. McNabb could easily work his reputation back up a lot easier with those two teams and get paid more than 10 million dollars. He is not going to stay here in Washington while the media and Shannahan twist his name.

What? He’s under contract, meaning we control his rights. He goes nowhere unless we trade him or release him. And if we trade or release him, he’s gone by OUR choice, not by his choice. Yes, he’ll likely be gone…but McNabb has no control over that.

This guy's full of it.

They'll come here.

After all, most of the players who aren't already looking to get out or are getting kicked out seem to be pretty pumped about being here.

Let's see.. ninnyboy Haynesworth,, diminishing McNabb, Carlos Rogers.. Andre Carter.. who else is planning on being gone?

Rogers wants to test the market, and Carter's not disgruntled at all, just looking for better fit for his skills.

One thing that should be out there, if you're coming for a high paying vacation, the door is now closed.

~Bang

I would question that too. Shannahan could waste Snyder's money and not think twice about it because he clearly does not like McNabb. He just doesn't want to look any more evil under the press. Therefore if McNabb asked to be released, Shannahan would do it. He would then tell the press that McNabb asked to part ways. In result of this, the press would not be able to say that Shannahan was the evil person here. See what I mean?

Shannahan does not pay McNabb out of his pockets. All the money comes from Dan Snyder. Now if the league operated different, then coaches would be cutting very few players because they would want to get their money's worth. Shannahan would feel much more comfortable explaining to Dan Snyder that McNabb came to him and asked to be released rather than telling Snyder, that I wrongfully forced this on him.

Either way, Shannahan has wasted Snyder's money and draft picks to get a 6-10 season.

You know what free agents care about? Cap space and signing bonuses. Oh...and winning too. Sometimes.

Well, the Redskins seem to go in spurts. Sometimes they win and sometimes they don't. More of anything they defeat themselves.

Smack me for this comment if you want to, but I'm going to make it. I could see Brett Favre being a Redskin. It wouldn't surprise me if Shannahan traded another draft pick and Donovan McNabb for Brett Favre. Sense Shannahan wants an Elway, I could see him pursuing a man as old as Brett Favre. The Vikings are still uncertain in letting him make appearances for them on TV. It was also rumored that this would be his last season, but if Shannahan spoke to Snyder about bringing a big name player like Brett Favre to the team, Snyder would do it over night. He knows fans would be just as happy about it as they were with Donovan McNabb being a Skin. That way, Shannahan gets an Elway QB and Vikings get a proven QB like McNabb.

Archived