Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You are a Free Agent. Do you even WANT to sign with the Skins anymore?

Hardcore Zornography

Does a superbowl clean his reputation?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Does a superbowl clean his reputation?

I live in VA and we have this local hackjob of a sports radio personality named Tony Mercurio who has an afternoon program on ESPN radio in this area. He comes from Missouri but has been on the air here in Hampton Roads for 20 something years. But he naturally hates the Redskins and trashes Snyder (who he calls Danny Sneeder) on a daily basis. I assume it is to get callers, ratings, yada yada.

Anyway, he was talking to one of his weekly guests yesterday or the day before and the Skins rebuilding via free agency came up. He said something along the lines of no player worth a crap even wants to come here anymore because of the craziness of the Snyderatto era, or because of how Shanahan is currently running the team (I assume he was talking about the handlings of McNabb and Haynesworth).

I really can't stand this fat douchebag and usually disagree with everything he says, but he actually had me wondering if that could actually be true.

Do you think some players are going to start (or have started already) looking past the big paydays of yesteryear and see how much of a circus it has been in Washington, both on and off the field, and choose to sign elsewhere?

Or is it still 90% about the money, and if Snyder ponys up, they will come?

Players that we really don't want here, won't come here. What I mean is players that are here for a pay day and not willing to work. That's obviously what happened with AL and basically that's what happened with DMAC. They both thought they were calling the shots...Shanahan let them know who the Coach was.

Players that want to get paid and are willing to work hard will want to come here.

I think it's mostly about the money but with this past season's Haynesworth fiasco, I think there will be a sense among potential players that they have to want to buy into the scheme. They'll also know that they will have to put in work here now so I think that will keep away some of the bums just looking to get paid and play half-assed. I think it will actually promote bringing winners to this team.

See that's the great thing about it. If a guy isn't willing to come here and buy in, then Shanny doesn't want him anyway. There's plenty of stand up guys who understand what Shanny is doing, and would love to be a part of it. This guy does sound like just a hater.

These are grown adults. You think perceptions in the media and on the internet message board scene mean anything?

If the Skins offer the best contract and the players like Shanahan and the scheme, they'll sign here. It has nothing to do with perception.

If somebody like TO can sign with the Cowboys after pissing on their emblem at mid field, anybody can play anywhere.

It's all about the money for 95% of the players in any professional sport. So to answer your question, it all depends on if we offer more money then the next team. If the offers are pretty much equal, then most players would probably want to go with the better team. And we are only better then a hand full of teams.

Mercurio's full of it, and looks like he ingested most of it. When we were in the offseason last year he was reporting on the McNabb trade, and he had the wrong information about the draft pick compensation (I think he said both picks were in the draft last year). He said it like 3 or 4 times so I know it just wasn't a mistake. Had to call him up and correct him on the air. He has to plug himself as "world famous" too to stroke his ego. He's worse than Jim Rome when it comes to sports broadcasting.

If I'm a big name well past my prime... you bet I wanna be here. Washington is where studs go to pasture, and get a fat paycheck on their way out the door. Quality and youth? Don't know how willing I'd be then, but at least the team (and attitude) is changing. For the worse or better I don't yet know, but it is moving.

It's easy for a guy who's not in a position to go somewhere else for a fat payday to sit around and say they wouldn't play for so-and-so. It's not his wallet that's affected. So the fat radio personality can sit around and say something stupid about Fat Albert and say the next guy is going to throw away a chance for a bigger payday. Most professionals, myself included, have had to make that decision more than once in their careers. Admittedly my decisions weren't for millions of dollars, but the same process went through my mind. What are the working conditons? Is it worth the extra moeny? Is it worth making my family move? What's my next boss like? Is it close to family and friends?

I would guess that of all the free agents that would be offered a job in Washington, almost none give a rat's d'erriere about Fat Albert Haynesworth. To most he's a guy of little character and less worth as a human being and is recognized as someone too self-centered to be on anyone's team. Mcnabb's situation may mean a little more, especially to those on the tail end of their careers, who want to go out on their own terms WITH a big paycheck. I think McNabb's situation shows that, no matter the name or the past reputation, you have no assurance of starting your final season. But if it's simply a matter of pay and benefits, all other things being equal, Washington is a good place to be a part of a rebuilding program.

It's impossible to appreciate the ego players have. It's not a bad thing. But ever since grade school they were above their peers. They could do things that seemingly no one else could. It's why players hang on so long when they are physically able to play, but not physically able to excel. Their minds tell them they are the same, however the body just isn't the same.

So when a player sees the McNabb or #92 situation they don't think it could happen to them. They are too good to have it happen.

Everyone knows the type of ship Shanny runs. He's always been this way. He's won so he gets that leeway.

Probably not.. The team still sucks, but now you actually have to do the work if you want to play.. Oh, and the overblown contract probably wont happen either. (at least w/o having some performance clause incase you start phoning it in) So again, probably not..

I think Front Office reputation would be a factor in the mix with the other factors (money, terms of contract, play-scheme, local bright lights, supporting cast of players, coaches' reputation, home stadium, etc.) One more factor I haven't heard mentioned is the old 'chance for a Superbowl Ring'.

I think under Allen/Shanhan we're going to transition to a playoff competitive team, and hopefully Allen will be able to ensure that the Front Office reputation is viewed league-wise as competent and professional. And as Allen and Co. manage effectively to whatever the salary cap might be -- Snyder will be able and willing to bid competitivly for the services of free agents the team covets.

Archived