Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Analyst predict $5.00 gas in 2012

SWFLSkins

But the margins rise too during the times of increase. Also you have to include in your figure for margins oil company executive compensation. It's easy to fudge around with margins. But the fact is as prices increase profit increases. So more is going on than passing the increases to the consumers.

Oil company executive compensation is a drop in the bucket, literally, relative to the size of the industry. Why does a private company have to pass on profits to the general public? It does this through future R&D and reinvestment. I guess I just think that demonizing this industry is just too easy and something people fall prey to since we all consume the product.

The price rises? Certainly it must be the money hungry oil executives that are responsible!

Oil company executive compensation is a drop in the bucket, literally, relative to the size of the industry. Why does a private company have to pass on profits to the general public? It does this through future R&D and reinvestment. I guess I just think that demonizing this industry is just too easy and something people fall prey to since we all consume the product.

The price rises? Certainly it must be the money hungry oil executives that are responsible!

It doesn't but how many other industries that receive an increase in price for what they sell are able to pump up profits from that. They can because the elasticity of oil/gasoline is much less than say corn flakes. I have never been able to figure out why we regulate natural gas but not gasoline. Anybody have a good reason we do it for one but not the other? Other than the obvious that the natural gas lobby has sucked?

^^^^^ there are myriad perversions within the oil/energy industry. Look at what a boondoggle the Ethanol subsiby is (that will never be a legit fuel source of any large-scale consequence). I guess it's just a kick back to farmers?

Still, Americans pay and incredibly fair wage for oil. I think we're starting to perhaps see the end of those days. I'm not happy about it either. We need to take it upon ourselves to develop domestically in my mind. Right now, we're doing a few things that will only serve to raise gas prices.

?

----------SIZE]

Woah, thin skin much.

BTW, HGTV is for girls.

Okay....You got something against girls?

BTW, They make the majority of purchases in this country and HGTV sells a lot of the products they buy. You called me out on the NKBA and I answered you, what did you think I was going to cry and run away? huh? lol. Whatever you say beyond this won't be answered by me, I am too busy trying to have an actual conversation covering this thread topic. You don't converse, you seek to build your self esteem with digs at others, good luck with all that.

---------- Post added December-28th-2010 at 04:55 PM ----------

It doesn't but how many other industries that receive an increase in price for what they sell are able to pump up profits from that. They can because the elasticity of oil/gasoline is much less than say corn flakes. I have never been able to figure out why we regulate natural gas but not gasoline. Anybody have a good reason we do it for one but not the other? Other than the obvious that the natural gas lobby has sucked?

Try not to bring reason into this, but the other factor in this is recently Ex/Mobil and others have begun acquiring Natural Gas companies, hmm I think you get it.

You think $5/gallon is bad? Imagine if we taxed gas like Europe does?!? Britain is currently paying $1.90/liter. Or $7.22/gallon. And Britain only has the 10th highest petrol costs in Europe. Think about that for a minute.

Most of those countries are the size of just one of our states, and a lot of those people don't have to commute as far. None of those countries is near us in terms of daily oil usage, so the price over there may be higher on a per gallon basis, but in terms of weekly cost to the consumer Americans are paying more. Plus, most of those countries have good mpg minimums that have been in place for awhile now.

Perhaps if the public transportation syems weren't typically inefficient, perhaps if we converted all metro trains to electricity and constrcuted the expansion of those systems, then our country wouldn't be as dependent on oil. Actually enacting a gas mileage minimum will be a big help in terms of oil usage here, it's just too bad we didn't start such programs from the onset of the increased price hikes.

Most of those countries are the size of just one of our states, and a lot of those people don't have to commute as far. None of those countries is near us in terms of daily oil usage, so the price over there may be higher on a per gallon basis, but in terms of weekly cost to the consumer Americans are paying more. Plus, most of those countries have good mpg minimums that have been in place for awhile now.

Perhaps if the public transportation syems weren't typically inefficient, perhaps if we converted all metro trains to electricity and constrcuted the expansion of those systems, then our country wouldn't be as dependent on oil. Actually enacting a gas mileage minimum will be a big help in terms of oil usage here, it's just too bad we didn't start such programs from the onset of the increased price hikes.

I get into this discussion with my German partner all the time. They have a public transpotation system that makes ours seem like the 60's and commuting is totally different there. And your right the costs per captia all actually very close when you consider the distance/amount that they travel. I can easily use $200. in gas a week depending on location of jobs. One thing I don't get in this country is the general apathy toward action. Some people will point to this conversation and say well I can't do anything about so I don't, I believe we must push for more alternative fuel that makes sense, and some of it don't. Solar could easily be developed for households but should not be subsidized by Uncle Buck. Florida should just go ahead and start a high speed train system now, it would work here with tourism being a driving force. Of course flat roads and good weather don't hurt either. On business trips to Miami or Tampa I would much rather work while getting there instead of driving.

Okay....You got something against girls?

BTW, They make the majority of purchases in this country and HGTV sells a lot of the products they buy. You called me out on the NKBA and I answered you, what did you think I was going to cry and run away? huh? lol. Whatever you say beyond this won't be answered by me, I am too busy trying to have an actual conversation covering this thread topic. You don't converse, you seek to build your self esteem with digs at others, good luck with all that.

Wow. Feel better now?

big oil does not control Gas prices Wall street does. The bid it up last time and they will do it again.

If you bid on futures then you should have to take delivery on what you bid on

Not entirely true, OPEC and other producing countries control supply, lower supply or don't increase supply with an increase in usage and you get higher gas prices.

I think the biggest reason they pay so much more is that their governments tax them to death. I'd rather drive an electric car than use pub trans. You know why so many people in America despise it? Because it's like bumming a ride off your friends on a constant basis. America = freedom and buses, trains, metros, etc. restrict your freedom of movement.

Not entirely true, OPEC and other producing countries control supply, lower supply or don't increase supply with an increase in usage and you get higher gas prices.

Yep, meanwhile our offshore production is predicted to drop 19% from earlier projections(drop of 13-6% expected) and OPEC feels $100 a brl is acceptable.

Only good news I see domestically is Bracken

Glad I don't commute....expect wailing and gnashing of teeth over the summer

What people don't realize is that the high gas prices in other countires have been high for a very long time and have adjusted their lifestyle and businesses around it.

Imagine what a sudden spike will do to us here if the gas became $10 a gallon. A lot of businesses would cutback on expenses, jobs would be cut, prices will go up to offeset this and companies will go out of business. It is a domino effect. All the prices in the grocery will go up because of this. Food and other basic necessities will be very expensive. How would the rest of the Americans who are minimum wage earners live on this? If they can't afford gas to go to work. This will be very bad for all of us because it will affect the rich, middle class and poor alike.

Here's info current as of June 2010.

Here's what a gallon of gas goes for in the 34 cities around the world that AIRINC surveyed:

1. Asmara, Eritrea | $9.59

2. Oslo, Norway | $7.41

3. Copenhagen, Denmark | $6.89

4. Hong Kong | $6.87

5. Berlin, Germany, and Monaco, Monte Carlo | $6.82

6. London, U.K. | $6.60

7. Rome, Italy | $6.44

8. Paris, France | $6.04

9. Sao Paulo, Brazil | $5.69

10. Seoul, Korea | $5.55

11. Tokyo, Japan | $5.40

12. Singapore, Singapore | $4.81

13. Nairobi, Kenya | $4.31

14. Mumbai, India | $4.25

15. Santiago, Chile | $4.18

16. Johannesburg, South Africa | $4.05

17. Sydney, Australia | $3.84

18. Toronto, Canada | $3.81

19. Beijing, China | $3.71

20. Bangkok, Thailand | $3.64

21. Buenos Aires, Argentina | $3.58

22. Havana, Cuba | $3.64

23. Karachi, Pakistan | $3.02

24. New York, U.S. | $2.85

25. Moscow, Russia | $2.80

26. Mexico City, Mexico | $2.45

27. Lagos, Nigeria $1.62

28. Dubai City, United Arab Emirates $1.57

29. Cairo, Egypt | $1.17

30. Kuwait, City, Kuwait | 85 cents

31. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia | 45 cents

32. Tehran, Iran | 32 cents

33. Caracas, Venezuela | 6 cents

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/b57nJl

it's starting to feel like a monday

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-01-09/alaskan-pipe-shutdown-cuts-oil-output-raises-prices.html

Operators of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System, shut Jan. 8 while a leak is repaired, can’t say when the pipeline that carries 15 percent of U.S. crude oil output will be flowing again.

The shutdown has forced oil companies including BP Plc to suspend 95 percent of production from the North Slope area. The system, an 800-mile network crossing the northernmost U.S. state, was closed at about 8:50 a.m. Alaska time Jan. 8, operator Alyeska Pipeline Service Co. said in a statement. The line was still closed as of 2:21 p.m. local time yesterday with no estimate of when it would return to service, Michelle Egan, a spokeswoman for Alyeska, said in a telephone interview.

Oil futures in New York jumped as much as 2.2 percent to $89.98 a barrel after the stoppage, advancing for the first time in three days. The leak, which has been contained, was thought to be located in an underground section of piping at Pump Station 1, Alyeska said in its statement. Producers have been limited to 5 percent of normal output, Egan said.

“High levels of uncertainty will have traders scrambling to hedge supply obligations,” Stephen Schork, president of Villanova, Pennsylvania-based Schork Group Inc., said in a report today. “We do not believe the news as it stands is enough to push crude oil above the $100 barrier. Refineries dependent on Alaskan crude likely have several weeks at least of a cushion in inventories.”

Archived