Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Kory Lichtensteiger has improved a lot over the last few games.

SMOSS89

I hated the move to bench Dockery at first, and with good reason.

But in the last few games, Kory has really played better, not great, but better.

He was very key in the Bucs game opening holes for Torain by blocking his and AND getting to the second level, something he does will on both int he run game and the screen game.

Then this past week he had a repeat performance. Had a decent day in pass protection, but is very agile and mobile for an O-lineman, just the way Shanahan wants. He was pullin big time on Torain's screen touchdown and was part of an O line that gave Rex time when he needed it.

Could he be a future starter? Probably not, he hasn't shown enough consistency. But can he be quality depth once Shanahan finds a starting caliber LG? Absolutely.

Shocking that a first year starter improves as the year goes on.

How to be a Redskins fan:

Step 1: "GET YOUNGER!"

Step 2: Young guy struggles initially

Step 3: "CUT THAT BUM!"

Step 4: Bring in experienced vet

Step 5: Repeat step 1

It's like the concept of development never dawned on people. When the Saints were forced into starting Jermon Bushrod last year due to injury, he BLEW to start the season, getting abused by elite pass rushers (I remember Ware ate his lunch, and that was in week 13!). By the end of the year, he was the LT of the best OL in football, with a Super Bowl ring, and allowed NO to trade their former Pro Bowl LT before the season.

Everyone talks about rebuilding, but rarely is the necessary patience displayed by our fanbase.

He should be starting at Center.

He will have to put on some bulk (Pass pro not so good), but he does show a desire/nasty streak which has been seriously lacking on our line.

He was a bit slow jumping on that Grossman fumble but I loved how he tried to rip it away at the end. I'm not sure how to evaluate the pass pro because a lot of the issues could involve having a rookie on one side and our favorite Center on the other. I know Trent Williams will turn out to be a very good LT but I'm not sure about the defensive stunts coming inside this season (who has responsibility when both the LT and LG are occupied on blocks?).

I think Kory has shown that he deserves to make the roster even if it turns out only to be as a backup. I thought at the beginning of the year that he was going to be slated to compete at RG and C. Who knew he'd wind up starting at LG?

I think Kory has shown that he deserves to make the roster even if it turns out only to be as a backup. I thought at the beginning of the year that he was going to be slated to compete at RG and C. Who knew he'd wind up starting at LG?

Me :D

Okay, so I didn't actually know anything but I did suspect that Dockery's spot on the line was not so secure as many people believed because he simply didn't fit the profile of a Shanahan lineman. Lichtensteiger, being a Shanahan guy, just made too much sense as a replacement player.

The ability to learn and internalize and the willingness to buy-in/sell-out to an outside zone blocking system are the most important factors. The next most important factor is developing quality game play relationships with the rest of the team. Taking too big an initial step WILL give the DT penetration behind you while too small an initial step WILL give the DT penetration from in front. While a great athlete may recover from such a misstep, he will likely not really internalize the ZBS. Further, a ZBS requires everyone to execute and any one guy who fails will make the rest of the guys look incompetent.

A lot of coaches say that the most important component to success on the offensive line is long-term stability. It seems like Lichtensteiger and Trent Williams have formed some chemistry -- a high priced free agent like Logan Mankins could be an expensive bust if he's not as well-suited to the zone blocking game as Lichtensteiger is. Ideally, though, we can garner some more competition on the offensive line in the offseason.

well kory ruined it for me when rex ran into him, causing the fumble and he looked dazed and confused running into a 6-2 220 qb. come on kory you need to be aware even at guard.

T. Williams got his butt beat by the end and you blame the fumble on Kory. Come on now.

It's like the concept of development never dawned on people. When the Saints were forced into starting Jermon Bushrod last year due to injury, he BLEW to start the season, getting abused by elite pass rushers (I remember Ware ate his lunch, and that was in week 13!). By the end of the year, he was the LT of the best OL in football, with a Super Bowl ring, and allowed NO to trade their former Pro Bowl LT before the season.

Everyone talks about rebuilding, but rarely is the necessary patience displayed by our fanbase.

And if you don't scream at them "HEY! WE'RE REBUILDING!" they won't get it that we're doing so without actually announcing it. It's already been shown that if you show the fanbase you're rebuilding without telling them then they have no clue even though they're watching it unfold before their eyes.

This is great. Thank you!

well kory ruined it for me when rex ran into him, causing the fumble and he looked dazed and confused running into a 6-2 220 qb. come on kory you need to be aware even at guard.

Yeah same for me. when i was watching the play i couldnt believe he turned around to see what was behind him and ran straight into Rex trying to slide out of the pocket to the left to extend the play. It looked to me that Rex had nothign but space in front of him to atleast buy a few seconds to hit the open guy or even run for a few yards. . It was hilarious to me and the guys watching the game because after he tried to hold grossman up (which could have caused an aiding the runner penalty) it appeared he loooked at the ball briefly before looking back to see if Rex was OK, only to realize Oh crap ! the balls on the ground.

)

Archived