Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on John Riggins

justice98

Since last night was homecoming and all the alumni were out, I'm curious what your thoughts are on John Riggins? I'm starting to get the sense that his general douche-y, devil may care attitude that was once endearing is now wearing thin. The whole not going to Russ Grimm's HOF induction, not participating last night (although his invitation might've been nonexistent), his general lack of enthusiasm for the team. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like he has any particular affinity for the franchise other than it helps pay his bills. Perhaps that's who he is and who he's always been. And of guys with personal issues with ownership, you can tell BMitch or Lavar at least have a passion for the team when they're going in on them, Riggo almost seems apathetic.

And on a side note, that radio show he has now is an abomination. Just terrible to listen to.

I love Riggins the player, no one better IMO.....Riggo the grumpy, bitter old man act is wearing thin and he has been extremely vocal in his dislike for Snyder. (which probably does not help him with Redskin activities). A shame for the younger fans who never saw him when he was great and now know him only as a bitter old man.

I love Riggins the player, no one better IMO.....Riggo the grumpy, bitter old man act is wearing thin and he has been extremely vocal in his dislike for Snyder. (which probably does not help him with Redskin activities). A shame for the younger fans who never saw him when he was great and now know him only as a bitter old man.

He was a great player. But he was never a great person. From all accounts, he was a complete *******. But that did not matter because we were winning. That's how professional sports work.

He was a great player. But he was never a great person. From all accounts, he was a complete *******. But that did not matter because we were winning. That's how professional sports work.

agree, I am old enough to have seen him play, seen his antics and meet him on several occaisions outside of football. At the end of the day, I have to separate the player from the man.

when winning players like him are called "characters or free spirits" when losing "bad team mates and a cancer in the locker room"

Pretty much sums up my feelings on #44.

It's a real sad shame when one of your boyhood heroes turns into a complete and utter d/bag in his work for the media. His ongoing disdain for Snyder has gotten beyond a joke, to the point were Riggo comes off as sounding like a bitter, hard done to ex-player who can't accept anything the owner does to try change and right his mistakes going forward.

I wish he'd quit being such a vocal jack-ass because in today's transient, modern society; people will sadly remember him for his words, and not the great work he did for the organization on the field.

Hail.

Look this is John Riggins.

He was always an attention grabbing whore. That was him as a player. It was more endearing, though not always, when the team won so nobody cared or glossed over it. When he comes back to have his number retired what does he do? He comes back in full uniform. Is that John Riggins catering to the fans? I don't think so, that is John Riggins seeking one last attention whore moment.

Then once he retired he tried to get away from football since his ego wasn't being stroked anymore and tried to be an actor and soak up the adulation and attention that comes from that profession.

When that dried up, his last avenue was as a football commentator. Nobody wanted him on a national level, so he was "stuck" doing local stuff. Trust me, John Riggins is miserable right now being reduced to a cable access show and local radio show that nobody listens to or even knows is on.

Riggins has always been about one thing, John Riggins. The Redskins were simply an employer (his words) for him. This is not new.

Remember him the way I do, he was a player who had the great fortune to play on some great Redskins teams at the end of his career that allowed him to have a stage for some memorable moments in the uniform of our favorite team. But he was not a great Redskin (they are nothing but an employer to him) in the mold of an Art Monk or Darrell Green or even a Chris Samuels and is an awful former Redskin who is at war with the organization to the point where he can't even come out and support one of the men (Russ Grimm) who made him look a lot better than he ever really was.

Look this is John Riggins.

He was always an attention grabbing whore. That was him as a player. It was more endearing, though not always, when the team won so nobody cared or glossed over it. When he comes back to have his number retired what does he do? He comes back in full uniform. Is that John Riggins catering to the fans? I don't think so, that is John Riggins seeking one last attention whore moment.

Then once he retired he tried to get away from football since his ego wasn't being stroked anymore and tried to be an actor and soak up the adulation and attention that comes from that profession.

When that dried up, his last avenue was as a football commentator. Nobody wanted him on a national level, so he was "stuck" doing local stuff. Trust me, John Riggins is miserable right now being reduced to a cable access show and local radio show that nobody listens to or even knows is on.

Riggins has always been about one thing, John Riggins. The Redskins were simply an employer (his words) for him. This is not new.

Remember him the way I do, he was a player who had the great fortune to play on some great Redskins teams at the end of his career that allowed him to have a stage for some memorable moments in the uniform of our favorite team. But he was not a great Redskin (they are nothing but an employer to him) in the mold of an Art Monk or Darrell Green or even a Chris Samuels and is an awful former Redskin who is at war with the organization to the point where he can't even come out and support one of the men (Russ Grimm) who made him look a lot better than he ever really was.

Well said.

I've gotten to the point where I have to try to mentally separate what Riggo did for us on the field back in the day, from the clown he has become.

He was a clown back when he was playing as well - right up to when the whistle blew for opening kick-off. I try to separate the memory of what he produced and the way he played in games from the unprofessional, embarassing pain the ass he was - and is - off the field.

Archived