Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sonny Jurgensen vs. Sam Huff Redskins Radio

ChampSkinsFanatic

I had to drive to Baltimore today and had to listen to the game on the radio. This and every other time I've had to listen to the game on the radio have been awkward. Sam Huff says the craziest things:pfft: I almost cringe in embarrassment for him because of all the wild things he says.

I think somebody should pull Sonny to the side and tell him to handle Sam like Larry Michael does. I think its pretty obvious by now to the fans that have been listening that Sam is on the decline or something but Sonny kind of adds insult to injury by correcting and nit picking with everything Sam says to make him look extra bad. Larry Michael on the other hand will correct Sam without trying to make him look like an idiot. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sonny and Sam have been needling each other since they both arrived in the same year...1964 I believe. They have a long long friendship. Sonny has always kidded around with Sam. Sam never has been terribly eloquent or even accurate during his radio broadcasts; but I agree, Sam is going downhill quickly. It is sad to hear. On the other hand, I thought the Packer broadcast was his best so far this season. Far fewer mistakes and silly comments.

I turned on the radio because I missed the 1st quarter against Houston a few weeks ago driving home, and told my fiancee "ok, these guys are Sonny and Sam, and Sam has been turning senile or something and just says random crazy **** that doesn't really make sense sometimes, see if you can tell who is who" It took all of 10 seconds for Sam to say something bizarre and out of place, she got it on the first guess. It sure is sad though, years ago I would turn down the TV broadcast and turn on the radio to get the "good" commentary. These days with the slight delay for HD with my parents' TV where I usually visit to watch games, I can't really do that without spoiling every play about 3 seconds in advance, so I hadn't heard him in a while. It sure is too bad.

I'll miss them when they're gone from the broadcast, but their time is coming soon in my opinion. I don't know if I'll miss either of them as much as I miss "TOUCHDOWN - - - - - - WASHINGTON REDSKINS" every sunday, but thats a different story.

For those of us who haven't heard them or don't listen to them; what do they say or do thats bad or crazy?

For one Sam will see a role player make a play this was very common in the preseason and say that guy should be playing more and should start or Beck a prime example should get the start as the starting qb. Sam might ask what is the score when the team just scored the first points. Every player is a good player according to Sam except Haynesworth. A whole lot of babbling throughout that game that is totally irrelevant.

Listening to Sam is like watching the game with your crazy old senile grandpa. He's just sort of there and amusing to listen to but at this point, nobody really takes what he has to say seriously. If I'm Snyder(or whoever runs our broadcast team)I'd offer Sam a generous retirement package, honor him at a home game etc. etc. and then politely ask him to step aside. I think Doc Walker could be a great color guy.

statler%20and%20waldorf-thumb-350x228-55616.jpg

I think its time for both of them to hang it up, IMO.

Literally I'm just waiting till one of them says "Excuse, I just crapped myself, I have to leave".

but it is Sonny and Sam so we'll just have to live with it, I guess.

I was coming back from a wedding this past weekend and was about to lose it listening to Sam. When he said if there is one team that KNOWS the skins it is the Green Bay Packers - I was like where is this going - then he states "Mark Murphy is the president and knows the Skins in and out" WOW. Thank goodness I got home to watch the 2nd half on TV and get Aikman.....ugh Maybe Sam isn't so bad after all :-)

I like the 2nd half: Moss good catch there, First one today...

The others are stunned...

its his 5th?

They sound quite senile to the point of it being hard to listen to.

Yeah I think they had just gotten done commenting about moss's 52 yarder too not long before that happened. I just laughed when that convo happened.

Larry Michaels: sycophant. A whore who gets a paycheck from the Skins and refuses to say anything negative about the team. The guy has no credibility.

Listen to 106.7 if thats what your looking for you'll get your full share and than some. Enjoy~

This is just one memorable thing from yesterday and I'm paraphrasing.

Sam: McNabb isn't playing good like last week

Sonny: How did he play Sam?

Sam: I thought he played pretty good

Sonny: He was 8 for 19 with 125 yards

Sam: They won right

Yeah as much as I love listening to Sonny and Sam when I have to run, I think it's time for Sam to hang em up, and bring Doc into the booth. Doc has more of a connection with the team IMO than Sam does.

Sonny and Sam are best buds and both will be there as long as they want to be there. I am not a huge Larry Michael fan, but for the most part he gets the job done and has to play by play as well as decifer Sams ramblings.. I actually still like hearing them, but it is obvious that Sam contributes very little to the broadcast anymore

Sonny and Sam are best buds and both will be there as long as they want to be there. I am not a huge Larry Michael fan, but for the most part he gets the job done and has to play by play as well as decifer Sams ramblings.. I actually still like hearing them, but it is obvious that Sam contributes very little to the broadcast anymore

That's where I'm at.

Sonny and Sam are like my oldest pair of sneakers. The one on the left has some broken stitching, but is overall still serviceable. The one on the right has a hole near the toe, and the heel is worn flat as newspaper. But they're the most comfortable shoes I own, they've been with me forever, and there's no way I'm throwing them out.

I still love to lace them up on Sundays. :)

Archived