Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier a bust?

kaffeen

With the right team Mark Brunnell is a top tier QB. That team needs a top tier OL. Ours for sure didnt show in the preseason. It has the potential to be good but good God it needs a major step-up.

PR needs time before anyone can make an evaluation. He has shown the ability to play well and the ability to not play well. From what I've read, it seems that sometime he knows the plays better than the receivers and the throws that look bad for him are very often the receivers running the wrong route.

The main thing you look at in the second year is poise. PR got rattled vs NO and GB last year , then settled in as the last third of the season set in. That's what separates the QBs and we need to give PR a couple of years to gain enough knowlege of the system and this particular team to achieve that poise.

Originally posted by JoeSkins

We should still have Marty as our ball coach. He took a team that was worse than last year's team, and was 0-5, and finished with a better record than we had last year. If Marty was still coaching, Snyder would have saved a fortune on coaches and players and had a playoff spot last year and this year. We'd have had much better drafts as well.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers:

I agree, he!! Gibbs started out 0-5 and finished 8-8 that year and look what good fortune the Skins and the Fans had under him!!!

Originally posted by yank

With the right team Mark Brunnell is a top tier QB. That team needs a top tier OL.

Wrong answer. The guy just need's protection, the Jags o-line was the worst the past three years because of injuries, you'll see that as long as he get's decent protection Mark can move the ball. It doesn't have to be top tier by any stretch of the imagination. Mark is tough as an OX, and smart as a fox yet he is wiae like the owel. The guy is a class act all around. ,He's the real deal; we outscored our opponents in a losing season for a reason..

I'd give him full lenght of his contract, 5 years, unless he resigns or gets fired, seriously. How can you change HC every 3 or 4 years and expect to win a SB??

If SS' system doesn't work, what we're going to do next? Hire a defensive minded coach??? Then, how do you expect loyalty from players if an organization is changed repeatedly.

Be patient, we will find way to win eventually. :cheers:

I'm also not thinking about playoffs this season. Just some signs of improvement will be exciting enough. :cool:

Originally posted by JoeSkins

We should still have Marty as our ball coach. He took a team that was worse than last year's team, and was 0-5, and finished with a better record than we had last year. If Marty was still coaching, Snyder would have saved a fortune on coaches and players and had a playoff spot last year and this year. We'd have had much better drafts as well.

Amen Brother! :thumb:

Marty had this team going in 2001 after the bad start and with a new QB we could have made a playoff run in 2002. Some people think that if Marty would have given up the GM roll he would still be the head coach. Bull :crap:

The bottom line is Mr. Syder wanted Steve Spurrier as his head coach and once the Ball Coach announced he was leaving the University of Florida Marty did not have a chance because Mr. Snyder gets what Mr. Snyder wants. :soapbox:

Originally posted by riggins44

Look at Denver, Steelers, and even the Eagles. They have been consistent teams because of stability in coaching staffs.

Give Spurrier his time.

I hope that you all do get the "Bawl Coach" for the entire length of his contract. It will prove a point.

But I doubt Snyder lasts that long. I give him four years...tops.

Well considering that Spurrier had little to do with the team last year, besides going after "cheap & available" players. I wouldn't even consider his first year as a knock against him. This year is TRULY: Spurrier YEAR ONE, because this season Spurrier cannot say, "we don't have the talent to make plays" I think it is more fair to judge the "fun N gun" offensive scheme under a close eye, since he has the speed on offense and the strong Arm in Ramsey. Everyone will take Ramsey's lack of experience into consideration.

Originally posted by fuji869

Amen Brother! :thumb:

Marty had this team going in 2001 after the bad start and with a new QB we could have made a playoff run in 2002. Some people think that if Marty would have given up the GM roll he would still be the head coach. Bull :crap:

The bottom line is Mr. Syder wanted Steve Spurrier as his head coach and once the Ball Coach announced he was leaving the University of Florida Marty did not have a chance because Mr. Snyder gets what Mr. Snyder wants. :soapbox:

There was nothing wrong with Marty, but he's not shown himself to be the second coming of Joe Gibbs, either with the Skins or elsewhere. Yes, the Skins rebounded nicely in the 2nd half of that season. But if he gets credit for that, he also gets credit for starting 0-5 in the first place. Ultimately, its Snyder's team and he gets to call the shots. I'm sure he had no personal grudge against Marty...he IS the one who hired him in the first place. I trust that when Spurrier became available, the coach he wanted all along to begin with, and the coach he felt in his heart could lead the Skins back to the promised land, he pulled the trigger. I don't think Snyder honestly believed he'd ever land Spurrier since he'd been rebuffed up to that point.

Whether cutting Marty loose to obtain Spurrier was the best move remains to be seen. But I see no irrefutable evidence that we'd be any closer to a Super Bowl right now with Marty, but I can understand how you feel Fuji.

Living in Florida and experiencing a glut of Spurrier exposure while he was at Florida I was not a fan of the hire. I felt that he was a pompous ******* along with most UF fans. I had to adjust my thinking of him as an ******* to MY *******. I think that he now has the athletes to execute his systems. If by halfway through this season the team has not shown drastic improvement over last year then we are in long term trouble with this coach. I am not saying that the won loss record has to be significantly better, I believe that 8-8 will be a big improvement with the strenght of schedule, but we have to be competitive. We have to reduce penalties and be much improved on special teams.

I really think that the coach has held back alot during the preseason. We will know very soon.

I am tired of being a laughingstock in this league!

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Well considering that Spurrier had little to do with the team last year, besides going after "cheap & available" players. I wouldn't even consider his first year as a knock against him. This year is TRULY: Spurrier YEAR ONE, because this season Spurrier cannot say, "we don't have the talent to make plays" I think it is more fair to judge the "fun N gun" offensive scheme under a close eye, since he has the speed on offense and the strong Arm in Ramsey. Everyone will take Ramsey's lack of experience into consideration.

Totally agree, good post.

I think if Spurrier gets 4 of the 5 seasons under his contract and has not shown improvement, it WILL be time to fire him. I don't agree that Snyder would be acting impetuously for Spurrier to get the hook before 5 years, DEPENDING ON WHERE THE TEAM IS GOING.

if the team is 11-5 and Snyder gets rid of Spurrier because he says that making it to the NFC Title game is not good enough, one could question his maturity level as an owner.

but if the team is 7-9 after 3.5 years at the helm I don't see anything wrong with evaluating Spurrier the way any other HC is evaluated.

remember for a minute that Reid and Callaghan are on real short leashes where they could be released if they don't make it to the SB and win it.

there are no such expectations for Spurrier right now in DC. all he has to do is show that the team is improving and learning to play disciplined, hard-nosed NFL football on a consistent basis.

Is that asking too much? SHEESH! :)

let's be frank here: we are running an experiment in DC - can the FnG work in the NFL? It ought to be good fun finding out. I think it has a chance and that SOS will survive. What I worry about are the signs that the coaching staff doesn't control the players to any great degree (penalties, dropped passes, etc.). great coaches will their teams to victory partly through discipline and force. Fassel may seem like a whimp at times, but he let's everyone on the gints know who is boss and he seems to turn it around every time. not sure what control SOS exerts over his players.

fan, you got a point about Fassel. The man looks like the biggest pantywaist in the business, but by god somehow he gets those boys to do more than I thought possible. It almost seems to be by accident...but its happened too many times now to really be a mirage.

Final game last year notwithstanding...

I say two years. This team needs a year to jell(o-line&qb receivers.. As far as the playoffs it's possible depending on injuries and the outcomes of the first 6 games. My only expectation is to have an improving football team-no getting blown out by 3 or more Td's. I like the idea of having brunell on our squad. Has a decent arm & mobility. Like him backing up ramsey. FO is probabaly trying to aquire him. If something happened to ramsey he could come in and do some damage. Spurrier's offense does work in the nfl but his offense will go as far as his Qb. My prediction 9-7 and maybe a wildcard. The Eagles will be our measuring stick though.:eaglesuck

I've only read the first page of posts, and here is my opinion. Why sign a guy for five years if you don't plan to give him five years to do his thing. If you ask me, that only gives him more time to implement his system and for everyone to be doing things second nature. I expect good things this year, but next year should be the year we are shooting for BIG things. If Ramsey can complement our offensive weapons, we'll be OK. If he is counted on to win these games, we might be in trouble THIS year. For us to win, Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, McCants, Canidate, Morton, and Hall need to be the playmakers. Minus Hall, Ramsey needs to these players the ball PERIOD.

Archived