Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier a bust?

kaffeen

How many years should Spurrier be given to prove he can be a successful "ball coach" at the NFL level?

I think he deserves, as do all coaches, three to four years to prove themselves. Of course, I believe the caveat is that there should be some improvement each of those years (which does not necessarily equate to wins). If the playoffs are the measuring stick, I think he should be heading back to Gainesville if there isn't a playoff berth by next year.

I'm almost offended by this thread...

He had no talent last year, he's gone out and got the talent he needs and the season hasn't even started yet...

If Redskins fans ran the organization, it would be in worse shambles than it has been for the past 12 years... there would be new coaches every 3 games etc....

If there's no improvement this season, he's gone, either by retiring or firing.

When you bring in a Spurrier, you want him for his Fun 'n Gun system. If that system fails - once again - in the NFL, is there really much reason to persist?

Last year was the mulligan. This year, no excuses. We went out and brought in a ton of talent on offense. One would think Spurrier had input into those decisions. If there's no improvement, he's gone.

I'm one of his biggest fans, but the NFL is about winning. Everything else is B.S.

Originally posted by kaffeen

C,

I'm just curious to gauge the expectations of the fans. No offense intended.

I see what you are trying to say and I am not offended. If he does not do in in 2004 he will either hand Mr. Snyder his resignation, like he said he will or Mr. Snyder will fire him.

I think it should be 3 seasons, he has the talent, give it a season to jell and see what happens next season when the new players have a year in the system. I realy don't see this team making the playoffs this season, not being a pessimist, just realistic, I have been a fan for too long to think that the off season aquisitions of big named, big money players will guarantee a playoff spot.

He's done nothing to impress so far. But I would have to let him at least finish out his contract before even considering replacing him. I do expect some definte improvement by the offense considering the money and draft picks used on the offense. But the team needs time to gel and stabilize.

As a Gator/Jag fan all I can say is give this guy a QB and Hang on. All SOS need's is a QB. Mark is the answer for the Redskins. PR look's like another 1st round bust to me. But what do I know I only seen three pathetic series, pathetic wasn't even the word to describe it. If he was playing that horrible you'd think that he should have stayed in their top get more rep's, But steve couldn't handle the embarrasment among his many loyal fan's, and even after keeping Danny boy in there for practically the whole game the offense was still bunk, even with all day to throw the ball. Oh and what was Jacobs doing in there in the fourth if injury was Steve's concern? The way I see it, as long as your QB situation remains the same you can forget about a post season. No offense intended, But Mark Is the best thing that can happen to your franchise at this point. SOS is not the problem I promise you that.

Jags, pathetic is that you've rushed to judgement on Ramsey based on 3 series in a game that meant nothing to anyone except to those really trying to make the team. Keep in mind it's S.S. who's naming PR as the starter. He must like the kid.

:cheers:

We should still have Marty as our ball coach. He took a team that was worse than last year's team, and was 0-5, and finished with a better record than we had last year. If Marty was still coaching, Snyder would have saved a fortune on coaches and players and had a playoff spot last year and this year. We'd have had much better drafts as well.

Originally posted by Jagsbch

As a Gator/Jag fan all I can say is give this guy a QB and Hang on. All SOS need's is a QB. Mark is the answer for the Redskins. PR look's like another 1st round bust to me. But what do I know I only seen three pathetic series, pathetic wasn't even the word to describe it. If he was playing that horrible you'd think that he should have stayed in their top get more rep's, But steve couldn't handle the embarrasment among his many loyal fan's, and even after keeping Danny boy in there for practically the whole game the offense was still bunk, even with all day to throw the ball. Oh and what was Jacobs doing in there in the fourth if injury was Steve's concern? The way I see it, as long as your QB situation remains the same you can forget about a post season. No offense intended, But Mark Is the best thing that can happen to your franchise at this point. SOS is not the problem I promise you that.

-------------------------------------

LOL,let me guess.............your a journalist/sports writer:bong:

SS is deemed to win this year. Right now he's thinking of ways to field the best possible team this season. I mean I see no reason why this team will not go 10-6 or 11-5. If you want to call him a bust if we dont we don't win the superbowl this year, or because we dont lead the league in points scored then go right ahead. But I think this guy is doing some stuff that is going to lead to a very VERY successful season.

Originally posted by kaffeen

C,

I'm just curious to gauge the expectations of the fans. No offense intended.

Sorry, I honestly wasn't implying that you personally offended me, I just meant in general, there's a lot of Spurrier bashing that's been going on and this season hasn't even started...

Thats all...

Originally posted by Jagsbch

I guess Leftwich is a bust then too:rotflmao:

Originally posted by godeatgod

Three years is a reasonable time for any coach. As far as expectations go, i'm expecting play-offs THIS year so anything less will be disappointing.

Then brace yourself for the disappointment.

Not trying to start a flame war here.

Just stating the obvious.

I am enough of a realist to say that my team will not sniff the playoffs unless everything breaks right.

I am also enough of a realist to look at your roster and point a very accusing finger at your shortcomings and measure them against your strengths.

You have a very good cornerback corps, linebacker corps and some promising wide receivers.

You have a questionable quaterback, running game and a disaster area on the defensive line.

If you want something that will not disappoint, then try 8-8.

Then the cycle starts all over again for Spurrier. How many more wide receivers will he get...blah, blah, blah.

That is the pitfall with getting an offensive "genius" aboard. He is out playing golf while you have legitimate questions to address.

Absolutly unbelivable will you people stop this why does everyone look at the bad things all the time. Spurrier is a good coach who went 7-9 in his rookie year which is good for a coach who was from college. One day The Redskins will get respect agian because nobody really ever says anything confiedent about them. Everytime I turn on NFL LIVE show they never talk about The Redskins at all. Like were opening the seaseon with the first game anf the question they asked on the show was will will win week one Bucks or Eagles.

soon as i saw the title i almost exploded...please don't make a title like that again....the thread and poll was fine but the title will ignite any true skins fan.......

everyone said everything else i wanted to say....last year we had no talent and this year any talent we may pick up or develope is negated by our scedule.:thud:

Archived