Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins defense encourages dinking, dunking

themurf

rogers100810.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Before the season began, I, like many, thought the Green Bay Packers had as good of a chance as any team of making a Super Bowl run.

I looked at a dynamic offense, led by quarterback Aaron Rodgers (you know, the guy drafted one spot ahead of Jason Campbell in 2005), and an aggressive-minded defense and thought the Packers had a legitimate chance of being the last team standing in the NFC.

And yet, here we are just four games into the season, and not only am I unsure about Green Bay – but I think an inconsistent team like the Washington Redskins has a very real chance at victory this Sunday.

Green Bay’s offense has been completely one-dimensional, thanks to a season-ending injury to running back Ryan Grant. Brandon Jackson was supposed to step in and fill the void, but he’s rushed for just 137 yards on 45 carries (3.0 yards per carry).

A year ago Rodgers was sacked an astounding 50 times, most in the NFL. While he’s only been sacked five times through four games, injuries and inconsistency on the offensive line weigh heavily on his decision making during games.

Because the Packers have also been inconsistent in their pass protection this season, there are times when Rodgers is forced to get rid of the ball quicker than he’d like. That’s translated to five interceptions thrown by the 26-year-old this season.

So basically, because the Packers offense has no running game and their pass protection has been hit or miss this season, defenses obviously want to key in on Rodgers, make him uncomfortable and try to force him into making a few poor throws.

Now, on the other side of the ball, is the Redskins defense. At first glance, you see the 31st ranked defense going against a quarterback who has thrown for 8,472 yards and 58 touchdowns over the last two seasons and there’s little reason to believe this could have a happy ending for the burgundy and gold.

But I’m here to tell you that, in this case, the numbers are a bit misleading. If you’ve watched closely over the last three weeks, the Redskins defense has done something remarkable – they’ve basically forced opposing offenses to completely sacrifice any semblance of a deep passing attack.

Think about it. In the last three games, Houston’s Matt Schaub, St. Louis’ Sam Bradford and Philadelphia’s combo of Mike Vick and Kevin Kolb have all settled for short to intermediate passes. Last week alone, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy was targeted 15 times in the passing game, meaning Philadelphia was content to dink and dunk all day long.

It’s crazy to think that a defense – especially Washington’s, which let players like DeSean Jackson seemingly score at will last season – can somehow intimidate offenses into completely giving up on taking shots down field.

Other than a desperation throw on 4th-and-10 to Texans receiver Andre Johnson and a Hail Mary on the final play of the game in Philly last weekend, opposing offenses are content to take three step drops and get rid of the ball to someone underneath as quickly as possible.

Because I am by no means someone who makes a living breaking down film, I went to Redskins Park this week to chat with some defensive players in hopes of finding out if my eyes have been deceiving me or if the Redskins have, in fact, been able to shut down deep threats through the first month of the season.

First of all, you’re not blitzing all that often. And yet, you guys seem to be doing something to force the hand of opposing offenses. I simply cannot remember a time when I’ve seen a team completely take away the threat of the deep ball. So tell me – what the hell are you guys doing out there?

Click here for the full article.

"Other than a desperation throw on 4th-and-10 to Texans receiver Andre Johnson and a Hail Mary on the final play of the game in Philly last weekend, opposing offenses are content to take three step drops and get rid of the ball to someone underneath as quickly as possible."

Dinks and Dunks are very effective if you have an accurate QB. The traditinal WCO used the dink and dunk pass as a substitute for the running play. While the Packers OL is improved over last year I think they may be reluctant to let the long pass develop out of concern for the pass rush ability of Orakpo. So, Skins should expect the short pass and will need to defend against it or the Packers will simply march down the field with ease.

Nice article, Murf. You make some good points. However, Rogers saying he guarantees a pick this weekend is like I say I'll win the lottery this weekend. :silly: Nice to think about, but highly unlikely. :ols:

Yeah, you're right on that one. I even gave Rogers a chance to backpeddle and take it back at the end of the interview, but he stuck with it. Dude's convinced if he gets a good chance, he's holding onto it this week.

Yeah, you're right on that one. I even gave Rogers a chance to backpeddle and take it back at the end of the interview, but he stuck with it. Dude's convinced if he gets a good chance, he's holding onto it this week.

Correct me if I am wrong but this guy has had multiple "good chances" and TWO GAME WINNING interceptions but all of a sudden things are different?

:ols: Is he going to use stick 'em? :silly: Well, let's hope so, cause that drop last week against the eagles was a heartbreaker. That effectively ends the game if he keeps his hands on the ball. I like Rogers, but I really wondering if his inability to catch interceptions will haunt him for the rest of his career.

Correct me if I am wrong but this guy has had multiple "good chances" and TWO GAME WINNING interceptions but all of a sudden things are different?

I'm confused. Is Rogers the first cornerback in the history of the NFL to have confidence in his game? I mean, if a cornerback starts second guessing himself out there on the football field, then he's done. I'd much rather have the guy keeping positive and thinking ahead rather than dwelling on a woulda, coulda, shoulda moment from a month ago. Rogers is unquestionably the team's best shutdown corner. He just so happens to have below-average hands.

And by the way, there are 1,300-plus words in this article that aren't about Carlos Rogers' hands. Feel free to comment about the rest of the story too.

Its funny that he just wrote this article, because I was saying the samething in the 3-4 merge thread and on Hogs Haven. I'm going to cut Haslett some slack because he fielded a defense that dont give up the big over the top play. The only thing he needs to fix are these short passes that slowly but surely kills us in the long run of the game.

Anyone remember the Jaguars-Patriots playoff game some years ago when Del Rio didn't allow any deep passes, but Brady was damn near perfect that game just completing short passes and sustaining long drives for TDs. That is what i'm afraid of....a REAL bend don't break defense...

I'm confused. Is Rogers the first cornerback in the history of the NFL to have confidence in his game? I mean, if a cornerback starts second guessing himself out there on the football field, then he's done. I'd much rather have the guy keeping positive and thinking ahead rather than dwelling on a woulda, coulda, shoulda moment from a month ago. Rogers is unquestionably the team's best shutdown corner. He just so happens to have below-average hands.

And by the way, there are 1,300-plus words in this article that aren't about Carlos Rogers' hands. Feel free to comment about the rest of the story too.

Which, by the way, I like this new approach the D is using. However, I suspect we still need to blitz a tad more, Murf. After Week 2's debacle against the Texans, do you get the feeling that Haslett has gotten gunshy? Did you get the feeling that perhaps the players like the new "let's take away the deep ball and let em have the underneath" approach? Personally, I'm fine with it, but I don't see the D getting a whole lot of 3 and outs that way. (The eagles were able to move the ball in the second half using the underneath game.)

Which, by the way, I like this new approach the D is using. However, I suspect we still need to blitz a tad more, Murf. After Week 2's debacle against the Texans, do you get the feeling that Haslett has gotten gunshy? Did you get the feeling that perhaps the players like the new "let's take away the deep ball and let em have the underneath" approach? Personally, I'm fine with it, but I don't see the D getting a whole lot of 3 and outs that way. (The eagles were able to move the ball in the second half using the underneath game.)

No, he just realized that he doesn't have the one or two shutdown corners needed to make excessive blitzing a low-risk affair. The team is not that good at playing zones when the blitzes are sent. Buchanon was the actually at fault for the Andre Johnson catch.

Think about the success DeSean Jackson has had against the Redskins. In one 60-yard bomb, he can completely turn momentum in favor of his team. Now, what the Redskins are facing this season is completely different. Teams have to dink and dunk, which means each play is picking up short yards and every play ends with a guy taking a hit. Sure they might put together a 10-play drive from time to time, but they're paying the price. And all that eventually takes a toll on your players - just look at guys like Andre Johnson, Stephen Jackson, LeSean McCoy and Mike Vick who have all suffered injuries against this defense. Plus, it gives you 10 chances to make a play or create a turnover, instead of a one-play, 60-yard touchdown that ends with a receiver dancing untouched into the end zone. I'd definitely rather have it this way.

great read as always murf. I agree that we have been shuting down the long passes this season for the most part but those dinks and dunks kinda scare me cause all it really takes is a missed tackle here or there and it could be a big gain like we have seen in the past, if we could minimize those i think that would go a long way towards a win on sunday.

Buchanon was the actually at fault for the Andre Johnson catch.

You're absolutely right. If Buchanon doesn't give up on the play at the 10-yard line, then Reed Doughty isn't left alone against the best wide out in football. Even though Buchanon has definitely been an upgrade over Fred Smoot's performance last year, he's still a work in progress.

You're absolutely right. If Buchanon doesn't give up on the play at the 10-yard line, then Reed Doughty isn't left alone against the best wide out in football. Even though Buchanon has definitely been an upgrade over Fred Smoot's performance last year, he's still a work in progress.

I watched this with my own eyes from the 10 yard line. I thought there was no way Johnson was going to catch it with double coverage. But....Buchanon quit on the play and Johnson proved why he's the best WR in the NFL. Heartbreaking. DHall is having an impressive year. I would venture to say that he has taken the lead out of the CBs.

No, he just realized that he doesn't have the one or two shutdown corners needed to make excessive blitzing a low-risk affair. The team is not that good at playing zones when the blitzes are sent. Buchanon was the actually at fault for the Andre Johnson catch.

This is true. Buchanon definitely blew that one. How could he not know that at that point in the game, they were going to AJ the whole way.

Think about the success DeSean Jackson has had against the Redskins. In one 60-yard bomb, he can completely turn momentum in favor of his team. Now, what the Redskins are facing this season is completely different. Teams have to dink and dunk, which means each play is picking up short yards and every play ends with a guy taking a hit. Sure they might put together a 10-play drive from time to time, but they're paying the price. And all that eventually takes a toll on your players - just look at guys like Andre Johnson, Stephen Jackson, LeSean McCoy and Mike Vick who have all suffered injuries against this defense. Plus, it gives you 10 chances to make a play or create a turnover, instead of a one-play, 60-yard touchdown that ends with a receiver dancing untouched into the end zone. I'd definitely rather have it this way.

Good point, Murf. With that said though, this defense is not generally suited to stay on the field for great lengths of time. I do think the approach is sound. In fact, I have to think this would work well against the Pack this weekend. With no ground attack to speak of, I believe Rodgers will have to take some questionable shots down field. Hopefully, we can make them pay when they do. I also think with the Pack's oline issues, we might be able to get some sacks (or at least more holding penalties :silly:).

:ols: Is he going to use stick 'em? :silly: Well, let's hope so, cause that drop last week against the eagles was a heartbreaker. That effectively ends the game if he keeps his hands on the ball. I like Rogers, but I really wondering if his inability to catch interceptions will haunt him for the rest of his career.

I don't think there is anything to wonder about. You either have soft hands, or you don't.

A lot of that sounds eerily familiar. I think the only thing missing is the "Heyer is the Doughty of the o-line" bit. :)

Yeah, that's the benefit of sharing a car ride with me. You were there while I was replaying the game in my head on the drive home, so you got to hear a lot of my thoughts before I had a chance to talk with some of the players this week.

My thoughts exactly when thinking about the Eagles game.. every time they laid the smack down on the runner I kept waiting for the ball to pop-out! But I don't like seeing our Def stay out there that long.. I keep seeing them tired in the second half. :-(

My thoughts exactly when thinking about the Eagles game.. every time they laid the smack down on the runner I kept waiting for the ball to pop-out! But I don't like seeing our Def stay out there that long.. I keep seeing them tired in the second half. :-(

Yeah, but the time of possession battle has just as much to do with the offense's struggles as it does anything the defense is doing. If the running game gets going, whether it be Ryan Torain, Chad Simpson or whoever, then that takes a ton of pressure off of the defense (while also keeping them fresh). Three-and-outs by the offense mean the defense is back on the field in less than two minutes. That means they're getting tired quicker. Look at the two halves of football in Philly - offense gets in done in the first and the defense responds. The offense fell asleep in the second half and suddenly the Redskins defense was on the field for several extended drives. You want to see your defensive players fresh, then pray the running game gets going again this weekend.

Archived