Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Strategy and Direction Hazy In the Autumn Sun

bulldog

Here are my head-scratchers after watching this team for 3 weeks of the regular season following an active offseason and training camp:

1. What is going on at the running back position? Larry Johnson made the team while I and more than a few others thought Torain looked faster and had in fact been more productive. Torain was waived and then placed on the practice squad. Then 2 weeks later, Johnson is cut after FIVE carries and Torain is called up and gets significant playing time ahead of Clinton Portis. Meanwhile, the #2 back on the depth chart, Keiland Williams heading into the Rams game, sees almost no action in the contest. What did the Redskins learn in FIVE carries by Johnson that weren't apparent in camp and the preseason? I can understand the wrist injury to Portis changed some of the gameplan in Week 2 and Week 3 but it doesn't explain all the movement of the deck chairs in such a short amount of time behind him on the roster. What is the ultimate plan here?

2. The status of Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter and Devin Thomas. The Redskins know Maake Kemoeatu is playing at perhaps 75% with continuing knee problems. Anthony Bryant, his backup at NT, is out with a concussion. Albert Haynesworth whether he practices and gets on the field or not is never going to be a pro bowl nose tackle. It's just not in his DNA. For the Redskins to get anything close to the value they paid in acquiring him, he needs to work in a 4-3 scheme or in a hybrid where 4-3 is a significant element of the package. Ditto here for Andre Carter. Carter has surpassed 10 sacks 3 times in his career. He had perhaps his best season at DE in 2009 with 11 sacks and was a force against the run, which had been his weakness earlier in his career. Carter is now lost in space. Rather than a confident rushman hitting quarterbacks Carter has been reduced to trying to cover tailbacks in the open field and make the tackle on guys that have 4.4 speed. He is out of his element. And he is often caught out of position. At age 30 Carter deserves better than being on ESPN as part of their blooper coverage from the Week 3 games. Devin Thomas, 6'2 and 218, has size and speed. He evidently doesn't have the intelligence or work ethic of a Jerry Rice. But then again the team has known that for 2 years. The fact he is still here to me says he can still be employed positively in roles that will help the team. Does anyone think Thomas would not be a better red zone option than Anthony Armstrong or Roydell Williams?

The Redskins seem to be intentionally punishing Haynesworth and Thomas and unintentionally doing so with Carter, and yet if you were to draw up a list of the most physically talented players on the team all 3 would be on that list.

So, why can't the coaches work the schemes and the relationships to get more out of these players?

3. Trent Williams is a fine LT prospect. In fact he is already a solid LT. But for a team that had absolutely no credible depth in 2009 the fact the team brought Stephon Heyer, Will Montgomery back in 2010 and have William Robinson on the practice squad leads to the question that seemingly was asked at many other positions - isn't there a veteran performer in free agency or via trade that could have been brought in to backup at either OT or OG? The team found Vonnie Holliday at DE, Phillip Buchanon at CB, etc. Once Williams went down with an injury, Heyer went back in and did the same things he did in 2009, commit false start penalties and get caught for holding in the red zone to kill scoring drives. That's the best we can do? If the coaching staff refuses to let Thomas on the field as a WR, why not try and trade him for a backup OL with some upside?

4. The first 3 were all procedural or strictly position observations. But what about the team as a whole? The Redskins are the oldest team in the NFL. It doesn't appear as if the team is primed for a run to a division title or playoff spot. With the upcoming schedule the club could be 1-5 to start the season. That adds up to a top 10 pick in 2011. If the fortunes of this team show some significant failings (talent gaps) after 3 games to fans and the media, it seems certain the coaches saw this coming from aways away. So, why the accent on making this a second Over the Hill Gang? Why not just draft Trent Williams to go with last year's fine selection of Brian Orakpo and build with younger players? Instead of giving up a #2 and a probable #3 in 2011 for Donovan McNabb at qb, why not draft a young QB in Round 2 or a second lineman like Charles Brown, who is now starting for New Orleans? The team could still have traded Campbell for a future pick and gone with a veteran free agent or a younger draft pick. Shanahan could have admitted that Haynesworth was a mistake and sent him back to Tennessee for the #3 or whatever mid pick that was offered. Ditto with Devin Thomas, who has seemed to be in the doghouse from Day 1 with the new regime. Would the Redskins have received a bevy of top picks for these guys? No, but the team would have had perhaps 3 extra picks in this draft between rounds 3 and 5 and what are now fairly unproductive, unhappy ballplayers would be GONE.

I think the latter course may in the end have been the better one to take. But it takes real stones to come in as a new coach or GM and say to expectant fans, media and an owner that the team as constituted is not going to win and has to be rebuilt.

That is the decision Ted Leonsis made in 2003 with the Capitals. And it took 3 years of being a doormat and building up draft picks and developing a functioning pipeline to make the decision look like one that was worth it.

The irony is that we may look back at the 2010 Washington Redskins in 2011 and identify guys like Brian Orakpo, Trent Williams and Laron Landry as the 'core' on a team that otherwise needs to be blown up.

Time will tell.

Well said. I agree. I'm watching the GB/CHI MNF game at the moment. Who on the skins would start for GB? Potentially no one. I think Silverback, Orakpo, and Fletcher would get consideration, but I'm not sure if they'd see the field. There is a severe talent shortage on the B&G, and the answer is not a bunch of vets. Its accumulating a bunch of picks and infusing the team with developable (look - I invented a word) youth.

No problem with anything you said, and certainly those are valid points.

However, as for the "give up year", there has only been 2 give up years in the NFC East in the last 11 seasons, and those have come when each team had a highly touted rookie QB ('99 Eagles, '04 Giants). Other than that, no team in this division has had a complete 'rebuilding' season. Perhaps that was the philosophy of Shanahan and Allen, knowing that in recent history, unless they had a highly touted rookie QB (which they nearly had), there was no reason to just cut everybody and go young immediately (esp with limited draft picks).

Bruce Allen, as I recall, even said in an offseason interview "we know we need to get younger at certain positions" (I wish I could find that interview but I promise you he said it on an ESPN980 interview). However as the offseason developed, and the McNabb trade was going down, they probably figured going veteran "placeholders", cheap signings who could potentially fit the system and help promote team chemistry, accountability, and a stable locker room. Yes, the price to get Mcnabb was a relatively steep one, however I agree with it because he is not very old, and they know this is a multi year process, on both sides of the ball. They believe that in the next few years they will be able to completely overhaul the roster with players who have 100% bought into the system, and fit each system.

2010 is a stepping stone, if the Redskins do anything more than .500, it would surprise me, but I am not against the big picture. Three games cannot change that opinion for me.

That is the decision Ted Leonsis made in 2003 with the Capitals. And it took 3 years of being a doormat and building up draft picks and developing a functioning pipeline to make the decision look like one that was worth it.

Excellent post, and I agree with the whole thing if you could just leave out the Leonsis analogy.

Leonsis got the LUCK of having the first pick in the draft, when the hands down overall consensus, number 1 choice, by a mile was Ovechkin.

He also drafted well with the number four pick with Backstrom.

So where luck meets opportunity they got two Peyton Mannings, or a Manning and a Brady if you prefer.

In any event, Hockey is unlike football in that you have a farm system.

Carry on.

4. The first 3 were all procedural or strictly position observations. But what about the team as a whole? The Redskins are the oldest team in the NFL. It doesn't appear as if the team is primed for a run to a division title or playoff spot. With the upcoming schedule the club could be 1-5 to start the season. That adds up to a top 10 pick in 2011. If the fortunes of this team show some significant failings (talent gaps) after 3 games to fans and the media, it seems certain the coaches saw this coming from aways away. So, why the accent on making this a second Over the Hill Gang? Why not just draft Trent Williams to go with last year's fine selection of Brian Orakpo and build with younger players? Instead of giving up a #2 and a probable #3 in 2011 for Donovan McNabb at qb, why not draft a young QB in Round 2 or a second lineman like Charles Brown, who is now starting for New Orleans? The team could still have traded Campbell for a future pick and gone with a veteran free agent or a younger draft pick. Shanahan could have admitted that Haynesworth was a mistake and sent him back to Tennessee for the #3 or whatever mid pick that was offered. Ditto with Devin Thomas, who has seemed to be in the doghouse from Day 1 with the new regime. Would the Redskins have received a bevy of top picks for these guys? No, but the team would have had perhaps 3 extra picks in this draft between rounds 3 and 5 and what are now fairly unproductive, unhappy ballplayers would be GONE.

I think the latter course may in the end have been the better one to take. But it takes real stones to come in as a new coach or GM and say to expectant fans, media and an owner that the team as constituted is not going to win and has to be rebuilt.

The irony is that we may look back at the 2010 Washington Redskins in 2011 and identify guys like Brian Orakpo, Trent Williams and Laron Landry as the 'core' on a team that otherwise needs to be blown up.

Time will tell.

Perhaps the only way to get this team to stop trying to put a competitive team on the field that sacrifices the long term for the short term is to not have a season. I am convinced the only way that we can ever focus on growing a team - not buying spare parts - is a lock out. We have reached the point where it is clear the team is disinterested in any course of action that gives off the perception that they are not shooting for the Super Bowl every year, costs, both real and long term opportunity, be damned.

I am rooting for a lock out.

1. It appears the coaching staff have no confidence in the running game because we really haven't done it enough to know that it isn't working. We are 31st in the league in rushing attempts at less than 20 a game. That's not enough carries for 1 running back, let alone three. I find it hard to believe that Dockery was the weakest link on the line. He was probably our best run blocker. Rabach gets steamrolled 5-6 times a game. It doesn't matter if he can call out the protections if he can't execute his own assignment.

2. AC has to cry himself to sleep at night wondering WTF the skins are doing to him. I never seen a guy look so terrified in space.

The offense can't be that complicated that Thomas can't run a screen pass or a few other simple routes. I'm getting tired of seeing Galloway waste a beautiful bomb from McNabb without even making a play on the ball. WTF is the FADE route? We pass pass pass to get into the redzone only to run a coupe of sweeps and kick a field goal. Zorn is that you?

I hope Kemo is injured, because he sucks. The guy plays nose like he's going downhill on roller skates. He's getting his ass kicked consistently. Haven't seen anyone move AH out of a play. I've seen people run to spots he's purposely vacated, but I haven't seen the ball snapped and AH automatically 3yds down field with his back parallel to the sideline.

3. The only reason I see why people keep Heyer around is because he works extremely hard and is a good example to the other players. I can't never say that it looks like he's taking plays off. He just doesn't have what it takes. What does it take for someone to have a stroke of genius and move him to guard, feed him a diet of steaks and weights, and watch him dominate?

T.Williams is playing great.

4. Haslett is a horrible coach.

Here are my head-scratchers after watching this team for 3 weeks of the regular season following an active offseason and training camp:

1. What is going on at the running back position? Larry Johnson made the team while I and more than a few others thought Torain looked faster and had in fact been more productive. Torain was waived and then placed on the practice squad. Then 2 weeks later, Johnson is cut after FIVE carries and Torain is called up and gets significant playing time ahead of Clinton Portis. Meanwhile, the #2 back on the depth chart, Keiland Williams heading into the Rams game, sees almost no action in the contest. What did the Redskins learn in FIVE carries by Johnson that weren't apparent in camp and the preseason? I can understand the wrist injury to Portis changed some of the gameplan in Week 2 and Week 3 but it doesn't explain all the movement of the deck chairs in such a short amount of time behind him on the roster. What is the ultimate plan here?

As far as our running game is concerned....... has it ever occurred to anyone that Shanahan might be going running back by committee. I mean if my memory serves me correctly, that is what he did his last years in Denver.

The analogy still fits Chipwhich :)

A team with a bloated payroll of veterans who have underperformed is methodically broken up for picks and player trades so that the decks can be cleared for a new future.

While football is a 53 man sport and one player is far less instrumental in turning the fortunes around vis a vis the NHL or the NBA, the fact remains that Brian Orakpo and Trent Williams are two very high picks that in SOME ways can point to a bright future for the Redskins IF the other necessary investments are made.

The Redskins based upon what I have seen this season so far are headed to another top 10 pick and the opportunity to take a franchise quarterback, wide receiver, or defensive lineman that will impact the future here.

I do understand the differences between sports leagues, but there are some immutables.

One is that success is built on the universal concept of value.

Value is making the right draft picks when you have high picks.

Value is signing the RIGHT free agents and for a contract they can live up to.

Value is developing enough depth over time that one or two injuries are not consistently going to put your team at the stretching point.

All of these concepts are the same whether we are talking about the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB.

I agree with some of your points...and disagree with others

I would assume that Larry Johnson looks Great in practice...there are players that are great in practice but not in crunch time and vice versa. Johnson may be one of those players. There's nothing like watching players in a game and I think a lot of players will be gone by next season

I can meet you in the middle with the defense. I'm a fan of the 3-4 and have been thinking long term...However, a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme may not hurt and can help if any

I agree with you on Devin Thomas...he can't possibly be worth than Galloway and Roydell Williams. In addition to that...yes we should have signed a veteran competent LT to back up Trent Williams..Heyer is killing us

The McNabb point I don't agree with. I think there have been several examples of a franchise building a team around a veteran Qb. McNabb is imo...worth the picks if it means 4 years of quality play if not more. It is really sad that McNabb never really gets weapons...I was hoping things would eventually change here. In McNabb's possible 4 years here...I think we will have enough offensive weapons and a decent running game. We can draft a promising young rookie QB who can either learn from McNabb or who can inherit a talented offense and a strong defense.

The analogy still fits Chipwhich :)

A team with a bloated payroll of veterans who have underperformed is methodically broken up for picks and player trades so that the decks can be cleared for a new future.

Well I will agree with you there.

My question is why not make a youth movement now.

Start plucking some potential players from other teams practice squads and cut some of our aging vets.

We have a long ways to go to get the depth you describe.

Well said. I agree. I'm watching the GB/CHI MNF game at the moment. Who on the skins would start for GB? Potentially no one. I think Silverback, Orakpo, and Fletcher would get consideration, but I'm not sure if they'd see the field. There is a severe talent shortage on the B&G, and the answer is not a bunch of vets. Its accumulating a bunch of picks and infusing the team with developable (look - I invented a word) youth.

That's not really what bulldog is saying, or not SOLELY so, he's saying the strategy in the offseason does not seem to hold with in-game or in-season decisions by the coaches right now and that we're actually handicapping ourselves. We HAVE talent to compete, we've done it with less talent in certain areas than we have now.

BTW, Chicago's offensive line is horrid and Chicago beat Dallas and is hanging with Green Bay. I bet we can find a bunch of guys who would start on Chicago.

I hope Kemo is injured, because he sucks.

...and que the douchebags wishing injuries on Redskins players! This board is in freefall that's for sure.

It's incredible to me (no, it's not really) is just how short some of your memories really are.. This franchise is only months removed from perhaps the worst FO debacles in recent NFL memory and yet here you all are, hand-wringing about the lack of talent on this team!

Really?!

No one said this was gonna be easy and no one said this floundering ship could be righted over night. There is alot that is wrong with this team and it's gonna take a while to fix. Period.

Now swallow your Midol, strap on another Pampers and let's get ready for the feckin fecels!

...and que the douchebags wishing injuries on Redskins players! This board is in freefall that's for sure.

It's incredible to me (no, it's not really) is just how short some of your memories really are.. This franchise is only months removed from perhaps the worst FO debacles in recent NFL memory and yet here you all are, hand-wringing about the lack of talent on this team!

Really?!

No one said this was gonna be easy and no one said this floundering ship could be righted over night. There is alot that is wrong with this team and it's gonna take a while to fix. Period.

Now swallow your Midol, strap on another Pampers and let's get ready for the feckin fecels!

Months removed????? Really????

We have been having FO debacles for a DECADE?

What are you talking about????

Or, wait a minute, could this all just be... wait for it... wait fooooor it... could the best explanation of our miserable performance against the lowly Rams simply be the team came out flat and uninspired after an OT thriller that left everyone exhausted? Hmmm... how did the Texans fare on Sunday? Oh, yeah, they looked just as miserable. Interesting.

Or, would that just be too positive at a time where overt rage is needed to heal? Yeah, I guess so. Let's just form our opinions about the team and the season as a whole right now in week 3 and consider them factual or "harsh realities"... that's a much better way of looking at it.

Not dogging you bulldog (get it?), but honestly, I'm getting tired of the snap judgments. It's still week 3. I don't really care how things look. It's week 3, and in the NFL, things change pretty fast. We could come out against Philly and dominate, and as much as that seems unlikely, it could happen. Crazier things have happened. The players could tighten up and play their zones just a bit better on defense. Our Offense could convert a bunch more 3rd downs. Our Special Teams could actually go a game without making a mistake. These things are very real possibilities, and not only that, they can be lasting occurrences throughout the season.

I do know one thing, in 3 games this team has shown flashes of great play that we haven't seen since the first half of 2008 (and arguably that 3 and a half game stretch in 09 after the first half against the Falcons). At least we have that right now, and I'm going to hold on hope that THAT'S what we'll become more consistently.

Yeah, I know, that's crazy, right? No no, this team's story has been written and we all know it now.

1. What did the Redskins learn in FIVE carries by Johnson that weren't apparent in camp and the preseason? I can understand the wrist injury to Portis changed some of the gameplan in Week 2 and Week 3 but it doesn't explain all the movement of the deck chairs in such a short amount of time behind him on the roster. What is the ultimate plan here?

I'd say the ultimate plan is to have Torain and Williams take over the running game and be our running backs in the future. This is a position that I'm not sure we'll need to use a draft pick on, although I could see them being tempted by a Mark Ingram if he's on the board when we pick, although that's completely dependent on what else is on the board as well. But this is a guess.

2. The Redskins seem to be intentionally punishing Haynesworth and Thomas and unintentionally doing so with Carter, and yet if you were to draw up a list of the most physically talented players on the team all 3 would be on that list.

So, why can't the coaches work the schemes and the relationships to get more out of these players?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a pride thing. They made the switch and sold the idea and going back on it would make it look like they made a mistake. That said, I could care less about 92. I can't stand the guy. He can win me back over, but right now I don't care much for him. Devin Thomas is a bit more puzzling, but it's been reported that he doesn't get separation because he runs terrible routes. If that's the case, this is his third year in the league. There's zero excuse for him not running good routes at this point.

I do feel bad for Carter. He's a very good football player that's been put into a position that makes him look like a terrible football player.

3. That's the best we can do? If the coaching staff refuses to let Thomas on the field as a WR, why not try and trade him for a backup OL with some upside?

This is beyond baffling. They were hyping up Heyer and the backup OL all offseason. I am completely at a loss for why they thought Heyer was worth anything after his performance against the Rams. Can Lichtensteigerheusenfeffer play center? Rabach has been abused all year and is a big reason why our running game hasn't gotten off the ground yet.

4. The first 3 were all procedural or strictly position observations. But what about the team as a whole? The Redskins are the oldest team in the NFL. It doesn't appear as if the team is primed for a run to a division title or playoff spot. With the upcoming schedule the club could be 1-5 to start the season. That adds up to a top 10 pick in 2011. If the fortunes of this team show some significant failings (talent gaps) after 3 games to fans and the media, it seems certain the coaches saw this coming from aways away. So, why the accent on making this a second Over the Hill Gang? Why not just draft Trent Williams to go with last year's fine selection of Brian Orakpo and build with younger players? Instead of giving up a #2 and a probable #3 in 2011 for Donovan McNabb at qb, why not draft a young QB in Round 2 or a second lineman like Charles Brown, who is now starting for New Orleans? The team could still have traded Campbell for a future pick and gone with a veteran free agent or a younger draft pick.

McNabb made the fans feel good, and admittedly, he's a very, very good QB. But if this team doesn't turn it around it looks like a bad decision on their part to trade picks for him right now. That could turn around if he resigns and we put some better chess pieces around him, though. So I don't think we can judge the McNabb trade until his tenure here is done. But, we could have went with Grossman as the starter (he's light years better than Campbell) and we could have used those picks on other chess pieces. We'll see how that one turns out.

Portis would probably be their starting running back, especially with Ryan Grant hurt. Moss would see the field as a slot over Jones. Trent Williams could play on their line. Orakpo would start for them, as would Landry. Fletcher wouldn't, but only because they're in a 3-4. McIntosh could see good time. Hall could probably start as well.

But as a whole, their talent is much better than the 'Skins.

I think you took that the wrong way. I believe Leonard was saying that Kemo is playing so poorly that he hopes it's still a lingering injury and not the fact that he's actually as bad as he's looked. I don't think he was wishing injury on anyone.

3. Trent Williams is a fine LT prospect. In fact he is already a solid LT. But for a team that had absolutely no credible depth in 2009 the fact the team brought Stephon Heyer, Will Montgomery back in 2010 and have William Robinson on the practice squad leads to the question that seemingly was asked at many other positions - isn't there a veteran performer in free agency or via trade that could have been brought in to backup at either OT or OG?

Yes, his name is Artis Hicks. He wasn't supposed to be the starting RG for this team. That was Mike Williams's job until his health issues.

But you're on the mark, there is something going on here... But I think it's more a work in progress type of thing.. Shanahan is finding out what kind of players he has with the bullets flying. I look at this year as a transition year for the Redskins. Establishing the foundations and filling the holes that are blatently obvious within the next 2 drafts. If they win, that's great.. but what needs to be looked at is how well they run their schemes and as Buck Showalter said.. and in the process you hope to find some "nuggets".

KDawg ~I'd say the ultimate plan is to have Torain and Williams take over the running game and be our running backs in the future. This is a position that I'm not sure we'll need to use a draft pick on, although I could see them being tempted by a Mark Ingram if he's on the board when we pick, although that's completely dependent on what else is on the board as well. But this is a guess.
You and Mike Shanahan see more in Torain (who cleared waivers) than I do. After rule changes making cut blocking in the open field illegal, the ZBS is less effective in breaking RBs for long gainers -- thus making the RB's elusiveness a bigger factor. I don't think Torain has enough of it.

Throughout extremeskins, I notice two main points that all the negative/sky is falling crowd tend to bring up.

1) The switch to a 3-4 D was stupid.

2) The team is too old.

For 1) I look at it this way. If a coach has a philosophy on the best way to play then you need to begin implementing that philosophy/system immediately. Shanny spent all last season studing other teams and came to the conclusion that the 3-4 D is the best way to go in todays NFL.

Therefore, he needed to install it now, deal with the growing pains while many players don't fit, and know that in the end it will help. It would have been much worse if we stayed in the 4-3, won a few more games this year, and then had the same growing pains during the switch a few years later when we had the 3-4 personel.

Yes, it is painful to watch, and will continue to be, but he's not implementing it for the now, its for the long-term.

Everyone knows Shanny is a west coast offense guy. Would everyone be just as pissed if we ran Gibbs system last year, and then switched to the west coast this year? System changes take time. Getting the right personel for your system takes time. That's why you need to give coaches a few years to get the right pieces and install their systems.

Finally, people argue that by the time we get the 3-4 rolling, McNabb will be done. All I can say to that is that no one can predict when he will start to decline. McNabb says he wants to play another 5-6 years. He's not that old. He's the caliber that its worth giving it a shot. If he's not good in 3-4 years, then hopefully, by then Shanny will have his version of Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings.

For 2). This won't be as long. Yes, we are old right now. BUT, we didn't have alot of options. Free agency was crap due to the CBA. We were already extremely old. They already trimming some of the fat this offseason. However, try to name one old guy that they brought in on a long-term contract. You can't. McNabb will hopefully sign and extension and be here awhile. But, you'd hope he has another 4-5 years left of good play.

The others are all short-term contracts (mostly 1-year). They are stop gaps. Like someone else said, they will show the young guys how to be pros and hopefully help them learn the systems. I really think that we will be getting younger over the next few years, and only signing the older vets on really short deals.

The only things that are bothering me right now are the handling of Haynesworth and Thomas. I'd like to see Haynesworth gone (4th from Tenn is fine by me) and Thomas playing. However, i'll give Shanny the benefit of the doubt and hope he knows what he's doing with these two.

Heres to good times ahead. HAIL

Archived