Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations! You're the new GM. (Assess our talent level.)

Monte51Coleman

You have just been named the Washington Redskins General Manager. Salary cap be damned, you can keep or cut any player currently on the roster, including the practice squad. The only caveat is this:

Any player that you decide to keep must remain on the roster for the remainder of this season and throughout the next two seasons.

See where this is going?

Identify the current talent on the roster. Name those players that you are willing to bet your future on.

Have fun & good luck.

Offense:

QB: mcnabb is a top flight QB. however, potential successor will need to be drafted in the next 2-3 years. Immediate Priority: LOW

RB: completely devoid of real talent at the moment. Immediate Priority: HIGH

WR: completely devoid of real talent outside of moss. Immediate Priority: HIGH

TE: two very competent tight ends on this roster. Immediate Priority: VERY LOW

OT: one seemingly very good young OT, multiple projects, lack of depth. Immediate Priority: MEDIUM

OG: devoid of quality ZBS guards, devoid of depth. Immediate Priority: HIGH

C: see above. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

Defense:

NT: completely devoid of legit NFL talent and depth. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

DE: decent depth but lack of quality starters. Immediate Priority: MEDIUM

LB: massive issues at LB, especially in coverage. age is a concern. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

CB: need another front line starting CB. depth is decent. Immediate Priority: MEDIUM

SS: quality starter and quality depth. Immediate Priority: VERY LOW

FS: decent starter and decent depth. Immediate Priority: LOW

K: solid starter, consistent so far with good distance and accuracy. Immediate Priority: LOW

P: massive question mark. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

KR: solid so far with youth and speed. Immediate Priority: LOW

PR: need youth and speed at this position. Immediate Priority: HIGH

I wouldn't cut anybody on this roster right away. I don't know who I would replace them with. The first thing I would do is meet with my head coach, my positions coaches, and my coordinators to get their honest opinions on every player on the roster and what they think their role/value is. Then I would meet with my scouts and see what our options are. I wouldn't just start cutting this and that, and I wouldn't go into it with a bunch of opinions on what should happen. I would of course have a general plan of how I would want to do things, I would want to build through the draft and emphasize the importance of drafting offensive and defensive linemen. I would want to stay away from high priced or aging free agents, and I would insist on only picking up players if the contract is reasonable. The most important trait in a player is that they have an overwhelming desire to play in Washington and win.

As for identifying the current talent, like I said I wouldn't do that by myself from arbitrary opinions from watching games. How many times have we all thought a player was "done"? Hell I thought Santana Moss was done last season or the year before...that his production had dropped off and he wasn't elite like he was in 2005. He's almost averaging 100 yards per game this season, and he's basically our only real threat outside of Cooley. I also thought that Anthony Armstrong would certainly come in on this team and make an impact. He has what? 2 or 3 catches in 3 games? I KNEW that LaRon Landry wasn't a very good player, but now that he's in the correct scheme and position he looks like a fantastic player. Perceptions from games can and will be wrong.

The only things I'm certain of are:

1. I would cut Stephon Heyer and sign ANYBODY ELSE.

2. I would put plans in motion to replace Casey Rabach over the next offseason (which considering his contract extension this year isn't happening)

3. I would release Andre Carter and get someone else who could be a more natural 3-4 OLB. He doesn't belong there.

4. I would release Albert Haynesworth. There is no point to keeping him here. I'd rather not have all the press and crap. Besides, I think it is necessary to free all slaves.

Offense:

QB: mcnabb is a top flight QB. however, potential successor will need to be drafted in the next 2-3 years. Immediate Priority: LOW

RB: completely devoid of real talent at the moment. Immediate Priority: HIGH

WR: completely devoid of real talent outside of moss. Immediate Priority: HIGH

TE: two very competent tight ends on this roster. Immediate Priority: VERY LOW

OT: one seemingly very good young OT, multiple projects, lack of depth. Immediate Priority: MEDIUM

OG: devoid of quality ZBS guards, devoid of depth. Immediate Priority: HIGH

C: see above. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

Defense:

NT: completely devoid of legit NFL talent and depth. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

DE: decent depth but lack of quality starters. Immediate Priority: MEDIUM

LB: massive issues at LB, especially in coverage. age is a concern. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

CB: need another front line starting CB. depth is decent. Immediate Priority: MEDIUM

SS: quality starter and quality depth. Immediate Priority: VERY LOW

FS: decent starter and decent depth. Immediate Priority: LOW

K: solid starter, consistent so far with good distance and accuracy. Immediate Priority: LOW

P: massive question mark. Immediate Priority: VERY HIGH

KR: solid so far with youth and speed. Immediate Priority: LOW

PR: need youth and speed at this position. Immediate Priority: HIGH

This. Except...I may change FS to medium. Other than that, very good job sir, good job indeed.

On point BLC, this is what people are missing. It, in fact, is the perfect time for scheme changes. Is anyone crying about how we should be running Power O instead of ZBS because of our OL like they are about the 3-4? The scheme doesn't matter right now, bottom line, this team's roster is a mess that will take several years to clean up.

The players I would bet my future on (starters and depth considered)-

Offense- Trent Williams, Jammal Brown, Kory Lichtensteiger, Artis Hicks, Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Devin Thomas, Rex Grossman

Defense- Adam Carriker, Lorenzo Alexander, Brian Orakpo, Rocky McIntosh, Perry Riley, Chris Wilson, Deangelo Hall, Laron Landry, Kareem Moore, Chris Horton

Special Teams- Graham Gano

So, I've got 19 including depth picks. I wonder if the Rams have more?

See, THIS is were the problem lies. Not in the 34. (Which will be a success after growing pains and an upgrade in personnel as we go forward.). Not in the coaching staff. (And shame on ANYONE calling for a two time SB winning coach's head after a mere three games. A man who's forgotten more about football than any of us will EVER know.).

The current GM, and HC, were left with a roster devoid of VERY little top tier talent, let alone any serious depth, right across the board by the bug eyed clown who systematically made boneheaded personnel move after boneheaded personnel move for the previous decade. Throw in Vinny had a SERIOUS aversion to draft picks, and there was very little Bruce and Coach Mike could realistically do in one off season more than they have. We will get there under these two. It'll take time, and the inevitable downs along the way. But two or three years down the line, all these growing pains will of been worth it when the roster is fitting of the traditions of this organization; and the arguments over the bold change in scheme seem trivial to the success it will ultimately bring.

For now, we're paying through the legacy of Vinny. People need to accept were the Washington Redskins in name only, and have been for years now We've been right there alongside the Raiders and Browns of this league for long enough if people are honest. But things are changing for the better. It'll take time, but we'll get there.

I agree with BLC FWIW, bar I'd say both corner (starter to compliment Hall and depth); and free safety depth are high priorities too.

Hail.

BLCs post is pretty much dead on. Lets be more specific though.

On offense we need at least a starting RG and Centre plus a legit starting receiver opposite Moss. If Vincent Jackson reports before week 10 and is a free agent next year he is a priority signing on offense. I agree running back is a need but Shanny hasw shown that if you get the blocking right up front you can use a second day pick to get the guy you need to be productive. We have too many other priorities to spend a high pick or big free agent dollars on a running back IMO.

On defense we need at least 4 starters. OLB would be my first priority very, very closely followed by NT. We then need an ILB to gradually replace Fletcher - or perhaps quicker than that as Fletch could get old very quickly taking on guards every play. I also think we need a RDE - Golston is a good depth guy but we need a more dynamic and consistent player at that spot if we are really going to improve and become a legit top 10 D.

I think the secondary while not top notch is good enough as long as the front 7 are getting pressure.

I would look to trade Haynesworth for say a 3rd round pick before the trading deadline. The Titans have supposedly offered a 4th and we want a 2nd, split the difference and shake hands. At the end of the year I would thank Carter for is time and release him (I might try to trade him but I dont think you get more than a late pick at best). I'd give Kemo another camp to see if he could be a rotation guy at NT with a year under his belt after his surgery, if he is not improved though he does not make the 53 and I'm not counting on him as a starter.

I'm building my D around Orakpo and Landry (imagine that!) with Rocky, Carriker, Hall, Rogers and Moore as keepers. On offense McNabb, Williams and Cooley are my studs. Moss, Brown, Davis and Hicks are keepers.

]

I would cut the folowing players immediately:

Nick Sundberg LS, Josh Bidwell P, Mike Sellers FB, Joey Galloway WR, Roydel williams WR, Stephon Heyer OL, Will Montgomery OL, John Beck QB, Phil Daniels DL, Maake Kemeatu NT, Kedric Golston DL, Phillip Buchanon CB, Chris Horton S.

I would then sign the following players from practice squads or FA's:

Ethan Albright LS, Hunter Smith P, Terrence Austin WR, Brandon Banks WR, Selvish Capers OL, Erc Cook OL, Seth Olsen OL(min.),William Robinson OL, Jaron Gilbert DL(NYJ), Travis Ivey NT(Cle), Clifton Geathers DL(Mia), Ramzee Robinson CB, Rhett Bomar QB(NYG).

I would then trade Haynesworth and Carter to the Titans for Kenny Britt WR, and Jacob Ford LB/E.

Galloway or Williams would be gone. I'd replace them with the best under 25 WR/RB out there not currently on a roster. Armstrong and Thomas would be my 3/4 WRs.

Daniels or Holliday would be gone. I'd replace them with the best 25 NT out there not currently on a roster.

Carter would be gone. I'd replace him with the best under 25 3-4 OLB out there not currently on a roster. I'd look to put Orakpo in Carter's position and put somebody else in Orakpo's (Wilson, Jackson, Alexander, or the new guy).

Buchanon or Hall would be gone (I guess Hall is better than Buchanon so it would be Buchanon. It is hard for me to evaluate DBs.). I'd replace him with the best under 25 DB (CB or safety) not currently on a roster. Barnes, Westbrook, or the new guy would be 3rd corner.

I think before the season everyone was hyped about the new coaching staff and professionalism that has come to Redskins Park. Now, the reality has set in and we as fans see what dire straights this team is in due to the incompetence of the front office over the last decade.

Offense

QB: Top flight qb for the next 3-5 years. Need to build for future in the next couple of years. Low Priority

RB: Portis is obviously not the answer. However, top rb is not necessity in ZB scheme. Sellers replacement must be found this offseason. Med priority

TE: Cooley/Davis. 'nuf said.

OL: No depth on the OL. Rabach is aging, Dockery doesn't fit. Hicks is better suited as backup. Still have a lot of work to do on here. High priority

Defense

DL: Carriker is built for the 3 4 and will be a dependable DE for the scheme. However, there is no true NT and depth is needed. High priority

LB: I'm glad someone earlier in this thread mentioned this. Outside Orakpo, I don't think any LB job should be safe. True 3 4 LBers should be signed/drafted in the near future. Very High priority

DB: Los should and will be gone after this season. Depth is a question at CB and FS. Landry seemed to find his calling with this 3 4. Med priority

I thought about this a lot since the loss to the Rams. There is simply too many positions that need to be addressed for this team to be a contender in the near future. Unless guys like Torrain workout and others like D Thomas find their way, and the rest of the team can stay reasonably healthy, I don't see this team finishing better than 8-8 until year 3 or 4 of Shanny

Archived